Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #46
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Same people, same issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Apparently you have not read Canuck_in_Japan's many posts where he constantly says people just want to find issues. Of course that is the way you acted with the PW1 folks who had issues. It took you a long time to see there really were issues and not just picky posters. Canuck_in_Japan doesn't even own a Kindle, and therefore shouldn't be posting BS with no other intent than to cause a commotion. In the kindle forums, he is nothing more than an agitator.
Can you explain why the SAME posters with PW 2013 problems also seemed to have PW 2012 problems? I've noticed the SAME folks seem to have had HD 2012 problems and HDX 2013 problems as well.

Yet I have not had any problems with the PW 2012, PW 2013, HD 2012 and HD 2013. The odds of the same person returning three PW 2012's AND three PW 2013's for valid problems are miniscule.

Some other dynamic is at work here and it may be a willingness on most people's part to ignore minor problems altogether while others search every product they buy for the smallest defect.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-30-2013 at 02:25 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #47
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Can you explain why the SAME posters with PW 2013 problems also seemed to have PW 2012 problems? I've noticed the SAME folks seem to have had HD 2012 problems and HDX 2013 problems as well.
I kind of understood it for the coloration in that some people (especially women) are more sensitive to certain colors than others.

Spoiler:

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_v..._the_human_eye

Quote:
A very small percentage of women may have an extra type of color receptor because they have different alleles for the gene for the L opsin on each X chromosome. X chromosome inactivation means that only one opsin is expressed in each cone cell, and some women may therefore show a degree of tetrachromatic color vision.
I noticed that it was mostly female posters (of those whose gender was known) who were complaining about the screen coloration.

I can occasionally detect a hint of pink, sometimes even a greenish tint when using my PW1, but it seems to be related to the ambient lighting more than the PW itself. It seems that some lighting exasperates the problem and so if I were hypersensitive to these color variations and happened to do most of my reading in lighting that made the problem worse I could see being unhappy with device after device after device.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #48
jswinden
Nameless Being

I agree that some people might be looking for problems, though the vast majority of those who report them are not, they are merely reporting what they cannot help but see. Canuck_in_Japan has a history of denying that any issues exist, that all issues are imagined, etc. This from a guy who has not even seen a PW2 much less owned one. I don't think he has ever owned any Kindle. So my beef is with his invalid attacks against ANYONE who sees an issue with their PW2. IMHO, he is calling them liars in a not so subtle manner.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #49
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One does not have to own a Kindle to be able to observe and comment on interesting trends in the Forum.

I happen to agree with Canuck's analysis. Maybe he has even taken to tracking all the complaints in an Excel spreadsheet and then calculating the real probabilities of the problems associated with the ID's being really valid.

Folks do not have to be "liars" to have certain behavior tendencies. All of us have our own peculiarities and eccentricities.

All of us frequent posters here are obviously fascinated by these discussions. Some would call that an eccentricity.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #50
Drew0020
Connoisseur
Drew0020 doesn't litterDrew0020 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Yet I have not had any problems with the PW 2012, PW 2013, HD 2012 and HD 2013. The odds of the same person returning three PW 2012's AND three PW 2013's for valid problems are miniscule.

Some other dynamic is at work here and it may be a willingness on most people's part to ignore minor problems altogether while others search every product they buy for the smallest defect.
I owned the 2012 PW with no problems. I've seen 6 PW2013 all with screen problems. Both of my reviews are posted on Amazon if you want to check there. My 2013 review was posted a few days ago (username piswat)

Basically Amazon is struggling to make the PW 2013 screen defect free whether it be yields or lack of QA. People ignoring or choosing not to see a problem doesn't mean that the fault should be excused or that no problem existed.
Drew0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #51
sirmaru
Wizard

See the big picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew0020 View Post
I owned the 2012 PW with no problems. I've seen 6 PW2013 all with screen problems. Both of my reviews are posted on Amazon if you want to check there. My 2013 review was posted a few days ago (username piswat)

Basically Amazon is struggling to make the PW 2013 screen defect free whether it be yields or lack of QA. People ignoring or choosing not to see a problem doesn't mean that the fault should be excused or that no problem existed.
Go to this site:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwh...owViewpoints=1

Five star reviews for the Kindle 2013 outnumber one star reviews by 601 to 36 or 16.7 to 1 !!

I challenge you to find any other product at the Amazon site with that ratio of five star to one star reviews in the same price range (+ or - $ 30) and post the link here in this thread.

That tends to prove that the frequent flaw posters here do not match the big picture.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #52
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:

I didn't realise I had such an vivid imagination and amazing eyesight, after all I can see splotchy yellow screens and light leaks from frames, things no one else would possibly see
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #53
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I didn't realise I had such an vivid imagination and amazing eyesight, after all I can see splotchy yellow screens and light leaks from frames, things no one else would possibly see
Apparently it is a medical disorder known as the Sirmaru Syndrome wherein people all over the globe share a mass hallucination of defects with their Kindle Paperwhite screens. Well, that is history and he is sticking with it!
Old 10-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #54
sirmaru
Wizard

Flying saucers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Apparently it is a medical disorder known as the Sirmaru Syndrome wherein people all over the globe share a mass hallucination of defects with their Kindle Paperwhite screens. Well, that is history and he is sticking with it!
Google "flying saucers." 10's of MILLIONS have seen them and hundreds of thousands claim "alien abduction." There are hundreds of PHOTOS of them as well.

Optical illusions are very REAL.

For the folks seeing them they are a real "threat to humanity."

Illusions are NOT hallucinations. The former can be seen by many. The latter can only be seen by individuals.

Professional movie makers use them all the time and they are the bread and butter of professional magicians. Many religions use them as well.

Since Paperwhites and Fires have screens for VISUAL reading and viewing, wny should they be different than all other visual peceptions?

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-30-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #55
Drew0020
Connoisseur
Drew0020 doesn't litterDrew0020 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Go to this site:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwh...owViewpoints=1

Five star reviews for the Kindle 2013 outnumber one star reviews by 601 to 36 or 16.7 to 1 !!

I challenge you to find any other product at the Amazon site with that ratio of five star to one star reviews in the same price range (+ or - $ 30) and post the link here in this thread.

That tends to prove that the frequent flaw posters here do not match the big picture.
That is a very unscientific viewpoint and that is also where I left my 2 star review this year and my 4 star review last year.

I challenge you to tell me how many of those reviews are truly reviews. In my opinion there are maybe 10% of those reviews that are worthy of being called a review but to each their own.
Drew0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #56
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
perfect PW2 here. no issues whatsoever. big improvement over the 1st gen and very happy with it.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #57
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
You're probably be the one to see my neon blue border on my HDX!

I have a perfect 2012 PW and the PW2 I saw today was yucky! Yellow tint and grey fuzzy text. No Thanks I am already playing the replacement game with the HDX I don't want to do it on another device.

The truth is Amazon has lost it's handle on Quality Control! They need to send someone to China to fix this! Just think how much money they are losing on all these returns.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote