Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
harvesterkid
harvesterkid began at the beginning.

Device: K4-NT
Un-jailbreaking a K4NT

Hello! I have a Kindle 4 Non-Touch running 4.1.2 that I jailbroke a while ago. I had also installed the ScreenSavers hack. Now, I'd like to remove the jailbreak and update to the latest version released by Amazon. I have been reading about this but have only got myself confused. I was hoping you guys could help me by telling me what steps I need to take!

What I've done so far
I downloaded the latest ScreenSaver hack from *here* and ran the uninstall .bin following the general instructions. This has made my Kindle go back to using the original screensavers but does not seem to have removed any of the files of the hack from my Kindle (the info.txt file and the "screensavers" folder are the ones I recognize which are still there).

Also, is there a need and/or a way for me to backup my Kindle before I proceed?

I just don't want to mess up and lose my collections and other data by doing this. Thanks in advance!
harvesterkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You have done enough, now update.

Notes:
The files you can see in USB storage are specific to your installation of the screensavers.
I.E: Things which you might not want destroyed.
Things on visible USB storage do not effect the update process (other than the chance of them taking up all available space).

The "jailbreak" itself should not effect the update process.
No need to "un-jailbreak" the device before updating.

If everything turns to sh..
There is always Kubrick.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that the screensavers hack *also* wouldn't have impacted the official update .

All my stuff is "update-proof" on legacy devices .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
harvesterkid

Thank you, kind people of the Internet! I've updated my Kindle successfully.

But say I wanted to get completely rid of the ScreenSavers hack and the jailbreak. How could I accomplish that?
Old 06-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All posted methods that I can think of will also remove your collections data base and other 'user' information.

Ixtab posted the procedure - I don't have a link for it handy - search his posts for it.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, the screensavers hack is self-contained and the uninstaller should completely get rid of it -- with the caveat that it doesn't delete user-added data (your screensavers collection) unless you "flag for complete uninstall".

The jailbreak also has an uninstaller, which should get rid of the jailbreak.

As knc1 said, if you really want to make sure you have a pure vanilla Kindle you will have to reset to factory defaults and Kubrick it. Which wipes everything, hacks as well as account details and your books.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:09 AM   #7
harvesterkid

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
- - - -
As knc1 said, if you really want to make sure you have a pure vanilla Kindle you will have to reset to factory defaults and Kubrick it. Which wipes everything, hacks as well as account details and your books.
Not quite, a good un-delete program can still recover your books, documents, and anything else you had stored on USB storage.