Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
FelineFeral
FelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58 View Post
I use my USB iPhone charger without problems
I use this all the time too. Works great, add a usb extender and it's not too bad to read while it's plugged in either.
FelineFeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnor View Post
I have to say that take care with chinese brands.

Once I bought a cheap USB charger on eBay. I look for every spec, to be exact like I want it. But, as a cheap chinese product, the tolerances were not the same. So even it had marked 5V and 0.7A (for instance), they produce unwanted results on my phone (touch screen giving a bad response), due to an unconstant current.

This is something you can't say looking at specs, so take care!
I picked up a cheap USB charger at a night market to replace a defunct charger for a bottom of the barrel Android tablet which wanted a 5V, 1000ma supply. The one I picked up said it supplied 1200ma at 5 volts on the casing. When I tried using it to charge the tablet, it came up with a insufficient current to charge error message. My handy-dandy DMM said it was outputting 5V with no load but when connected to the tablet dropped to 3.6V so opened up the case. Interesting label on the circuit board inside with "Input: 90-260V, 50-60Hz, Output: 5V, 500ma" on it. I then checked with a 10 ohm load and it handled that with no problems. Dropping to a 5 ohm load and instead of 5V at 1000ma, it was outputting 3.6V at 720ma. At least, the three screws made the case easy to take apart and put back together.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
Thalinor
@Modders/Devs - Thank You
Thalinor is on a distinguished road

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro / Kobo Glo
Edit: As pointed out below, this is apparently a generic answer by kobo. Apparently the Glo uses 5v 800 mAh.

http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/answ...y+Kobo+eReader

5v 500 mAh is what Kobo says to use, and I would not go too much higher mAh's or you risk messing up the charging circuit.

Computer USB ports output at 5v 500 mAh, but most USB chargers sold with electronics today output higher volts and amps. I know people say other chargers work, and some have even said as long as the plug fits it will work, but while other chargers may work, you should use the correct voltage and amps for the unit. The statement "if the plug fits it will work" is not only ignorant, its dangerous.

Lithium ion batteries incorrectly charged EXPLODE. I saw the end results of a someone who put LI batteries in backwards to a high end flashlight that did not have a reverse circuit protection and the batteries exploded. Not a huge explosion, but enough to vent a corrosive gas out of the split battery which ended in a broken expensive flashlight.

Do not take chances. Just use the correct charger.

Last edited by Thalinor; 05-07-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Thalinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalinor View Post
5v 500 mAh is what Kobo says to use, and I would not go too much higher mAh's or you risk messing up the charging circuit.

Computer USB ports output at 5v 500 mAh, but most USB chargers sold with electronics today output higher volts and amps. I know people say other chargers work, and some have even said as long as the plug fits it will work, but while other chargers may work, you should use the correct voltage and amps for the unit. The statement "if the plug fits it will work" is not only ignorant, its dangerous.
I'm sorry, but the device will draw the current it needs. If the adapter is capable of supplying a higher current, and the device can use is, then it will be OK. But if the device doesn't draw the higher current, it won't be used. About the only thing you will notice is that the 2Ah charger will be cooler when charging the ereader than when charging the iPad.

And if you have a USB charger that supplies more than 5V, then it is NOT a USB charger. It is something else. I don't suppose I have looked at that many, but I have never seen a charger that had a USB socket that was not 5V output.
Quote:
Lithium ion batteries incorrectly charged EXPLODE. I saw the end results of a someone who put LI batteries in backwards to a high end flashlight that did not have a reverse circuit protection and the batteries exploded. Not a huge explosion, but enough to vent a corrosive gas out of the split battery which ended in a broken expensive flashlight.
Yes, Li-Ion batteries can explode if treated badly. But the charging of the battery in these devices are controlled by the device. Unless that charging circuit is damaged, or you open the case and damage the battery, it is very safe.

Hmm, "high end flashlight that did not have a reverse circuit protection" sounds like a contradiction. I would expect a high end device to include an important capability like that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Do not take chances. Just use the correct charger.
Way back when Kobo was using a mini-A USB socket, the accepted charger at Kobo was a Blackberry unit which output 5V at 700ma. Most charging circuits will not draw more current than their design maximum. What you need to worry about is the maximum voltage where some el-cheapo poorly regulated chargers can supply well over 6V according to my handy dandy DMM.

Regards,
David
Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And if you have a USB charger that supplies more than 5V, then it is NOT a USB charger. It is something else. I don't suppose I have looked at that many, but I have never seen a charger that had a USB socket that was not 5V output.
iPad charger is labelled as 5.1V, 2.1A. After voltage drop, the iPad likely sees 5V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, Li-Ion batteries can explode if treated badly. But the charging of the battery in these devices are controlled by the device. Unless that charging circuit is damaged, or you open the case and damage the battery, it is very safe.

Hmm, "high end flashlight that did not have a reverse circuit protection" sounds like a contradiction. I would expect a high end device to include an important capability like that.
I have two Li-Ion battery flashlights. One of them has a battery that can be charged outside the unit but it can't be inserted incorrectly without applying enough force to break the flashlight. The other one is a sealed unit with a AC plug (flashlight, nightlight, emergency light). They were not the most expensive flashlights made thought they might be considered high-end compared to a disposable penlight.

Regards,
David
Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #22
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:

5v 500 mAh is what Kobo says to use, and I would not go too much higher mAh's or you risk messing up the charging circuit. .
That website is general information about charging ANY kobo ereader. The glo (which after all is the subject of this thread) for instance is NOT 500mAh, but rather 800mAh. Even the touch I think is 700mAh instead of 500. and Aura might be different again. 500mAh only applies to the older models, but they either don't update that website, or they want a one answer fits all, even if not particularly useful for people who want a charger that is the same as their device.

Sort of like your advice that using more than 500mAh is gonna blow up their battery.....

Last edited by Uschiekid; 05-07-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
Thalinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
That website is general information about charging ANY kobo ereader. The glo (which after all is the subject of this thread) for instance is NOT 500mAh, but rather 800mAh. Even the touch I think is 700mAh instead of 500. and Aura might be different again. 500mAh only applies to the older models, but they either don't update that website, or they want a one answer fits all, even if not particularly useful for people who want a charger that is the same as their device.

Sort of like your advice that using more than 500mAh is gonna blow up their battery.....
Good to know on the Glo being 800 mAh. The point of my post was to try and prevent people from plugging in chargers that are way overrated in both watts and amps. If you retread the post I wrote it says that its possible for LI batteries to explode if treated wrong. I don't expect the ereader to blow up if someone used a 1 amp charger but as devices get more advanced, I am sure we will see wall chargers with USB connections reaching 2+ amps as a common occurrence very soon. The more amps the charger outputs the faster the device will charge but again, devices and batteries that are not intended for higher amp charging (fastcharge, etc) could be damaged by using the wrong charger. While technology has advanced, they don't build things like they used to, at least when it comes to quality and longevity. Again, a generalization, but why risk a $130 device when 95% of the people reading this probably have an older USB charger laying around that is under 1 amp, which can be used instead of something like a 2.1 amp apple USB charger?

Do what you want, it's your device and your money. I have seen people post that most devices today are smart enough only to draw the correct amps from a charger that is overrated, and its watts that you need to worry about, but I have also seen plenty of posts with people who now have electronics that don't work because they used the wrong USB charger and fried a device.

@DaveFor Fenix did not include reverse polarity protection in some of their high end lights when first released. They have battery magazines and must of assumed most people wouldn't screw it up. I agree on a $150+ flashlight it should be standard, and I guess others did too because now it seems like all their lights have this protection. It wasn't me who blew up the light, I know how to put in batteries correctly, but I will never forget the incident and its was enough to scare me into having a little more respect for LI batteries. Again, do what you want with your devices, but IMO with everything now-a-days being made as cheaply as possible, mass produced by slave driven kids for pennies a day, I'll stick to what's supposed to be used for charging the unit.

Edited my original post to include 800 mAh instead of 500 in concern to the Glo. Again, thank you for pointing out the mis information.

Last edited by Thalinor; 05-07-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I think the important point here is to buy a decently regulated(think somewhere between 30-50% of the price range minimum -check the cheapies carefully. If you don't know how, avoid them.) 5 volt micro USB charger, you'll be fine as long as it meets the minimum current requirements. Having a larger current rating is not a problem as the internal charging circuit in the device will regulate how much current is drawn. Being able to supply more current is not a negative, it is at worst a bit of over engineering, a thing that will never cause you grief unless carried to extreme.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #25
Thalinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I think the important point here is to buy a decently regulated(think somewhere between 30-50% of the price range minimum -check the cheapies carefully. If you don't know how, avoid them.) 5 volt micro USB charger, you'll be fine as long as it meets the minimum current requirements. Having a larger current rating is not a problem as the internal charging circuit in the device will regulate how much current is drawn. Being able to supply more current is not a negative, it is at worst a bit of over engineering, a thing that will never cause you grief unless carried to extreme.
Agreed.

Again, the main point was to people's attention to the comment "if the plug fits it will work" because that's probably not the best advice; not for the Glo or any piece of electronics.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:52 AM   #26
Wicked
Wicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Definitely yes. All USB sockets and thus all chargers with USB sockets limit their voltage to USB standards. You never have to worry as long as the plug fits!
this is good news because I am tired of my light dying on my glo and having to turn on my computer to charge it. I have a sony e-reader that plugs into the wall and charges so will check this out, don't want to buy anything.
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #27
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I often use my power board which, in addition to slots for 5 regular plugs, has 2 usb slots. We always take one away with us because you never know what is available in a motel room.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #28
Wicked
Wicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blue

ok did a little more research and found this

*We recommend you use the included USB cable to charge your Kobo eReader, but you can use other

wall chargers with micro-USB connectors if you need to, such as when you’re travelling.

Charging your Kobo eReader with a wall adapter
If you'd like to travel with your Kobo eReader, or charge it with a wall adapter, you can use any 5V, 500mA

micro USB adapter. Note, different countries have different electrical systems and you shouldn’t connect

your eReader directly to a different system without the right converter.

To guarantee you get the right cable for your eReader, take the included USB cable or your eReader with

you when you shop to make sure your new cable fits properly.

We recommend you charge your Kobo eReader with the included USB cable. If you need to replace your

USB cable, you can get a new one at any location where you can buy the Kobo eReader.*

I then Read someone uses their sony e-ready charger, well I looked at the one I have it's 5v 1500ma..... so now I am leary but I am tired of turning on the computer to charge this. Don't they make one? Also in the netherlands now so I have to use an adaptor so the plugs even fit. I don't want to fry the thing, ugh............and I use the backlight most of the time to supply a little bit more light and not just for daytime...

Ps. I used to be on these forums when the sony prs or whatever 500 existed (they gave me a free upgraded one RED when the firmware would not work and then sent it back but it worked too hahaha, silly sony people) and came out. I just don't remember what screen name I used LOL, and I don't think this place has a members listing where I can find out who I was at the time when I was in California

Found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Internationa...I1OWPM3B3UBDPQ

Last edited by Wicked; 12-28-2013 at 05:22 AM. Reason: add something to post
Old 12-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #29
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
As long as the charger is putting out a MINIMUM of 500mA you're good (it will only take what it needs). If less than that you can have a problem. Check your Sony charger and it will LIKELY (not all do, but majority do) say 50-60Hz, 110-220V in which case you should be good with just an adapter to fit the end of the plug into the socket (rather than a transformer which you might need if it says 60Hz, 110V assuming that isn't what the grid you're on is supplying). I have used a variety of different cell phone chargers with no problems on my various Kobo's.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #30
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
As long as the charger is putting out a MINIMUM of 500mA you're good (it will only take what it needs). If less than that you can have a problem. Check your Sony charger and it will LIKELY (not all do, but majority do) say 50-60Hz, 110-220V in which case you should be good with just an adapter to fit the end of the plug into the socket (rather than a transformer which you might need if it says 60Hz, 110V assuming that isn't what the grid you're on is supplying). I have used a variety of different cell phone chargers with no problems on my various Kobo's.

MINE SAYS 50-60 hz 110-240v, so still okay?