Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #91
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Interesting. One flight since 9/11 was enough to cure me of flying. Now my vacations are strictly by car and only in the US. No more border crossings.
You're missing a great deal for the sake of a minor amount of inconvenience. Travel is one of life's greatest pleasures, to my mind.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #92
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're missing a great deal for the sake of a minor amount of inconvenience. Travel is one of life's greatest pleasures, to my mind.
Not really. There are more than enough places to visit here in the Pacific Northwest to last a lifetime; and then some. In the US, I've lived in quite a few different states and visited more than half of the country. Outside of the US, I've lived in a couple of foreign countries and visited several others. Since I don't view post-9/11 security measures as a minor inconvenience, I'm more than willing to give up a trip to Europe in exchange for a trip down the Oregon coast.

This is no different than any other optional activity for me; and travel is optional. When it comes to options, there are no must-haves. If I can't get a particular book for free, I'll pass on it and look for something else. If I have to jump through hoops I don't like in order to fly, then I'll go by car and stay closer to home. With so many different options in life, I don't feel deprived in the least when I exchange one for another.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not really. There are more than enough places to visit here in the Pacific Northwest to last a lifetime; and then some.
It is indeed a very beautiful part of the world - I've been fortunate enough to live in both Berkeley CA and Redmond WA at various times in my life.

What it doesn't have is much in the way of ancient history, which is my main interest; hence my need to travel to places like Egypt.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #94
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is indeed a very beautiful part of the world - I've been fortunate enough to live in both Berkeley CA and Redmond WA at various times in my life.

What it doesn't have is much in the way of ancient history, which is my main interest; hence my need to travel to places like Egypt.
My primary reason for travel is nature. That's why it's so easy for me to swap one place for another.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #95
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
We travel as little as possible by air (post 9/11) and if our son didn't live half-way across the country we'd be content to stay put forever.

On this last excursion to visit him over the holidays, however, we discovered we'd been put in the 'pre-check' security line which meant no waiting, no taking off shoes, jacket or jewelry and no taking laptop out. We still had to put backpacks and my purse through the x-ray scanner and walk through the metal detector, but it all took less than a minute (only 3 of us in that line). The regular security line was ridiculously long with maybe two agents manning the check-in posts whilst a dozen or so others stood around drinking coffee and chatting.

Same experience on the way home. Plus, the airline crew were happy to announce their new regulations regarding electronic devices noting only those 2 lbs. or more had to be stowed during takeoff and landing.

Better. Still not 'pleasant' by any stretch of the imagination.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #96
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I haven't travelled by air since my kitty started needing medicine three times a day about four years ago. My mother-in-law lives in Florida so it's a good excuse not to visit. My mother lives in Washington state and I told her she better not die before my kitty because I can't travel - was that mean?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote