Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Bug in web/feeds/__init__ processing feed article date

There is a problem in parsing RSS feeds where the article dates are not being processed properly. In the routine parse_article the article date is being extracted as item.get('date_parsed', time.gmtime()) which is returning the current time because the feed/article key 'date_parsed' is not found.

In two major RSS feeds (NYTimes and Globe and Mail) the feed/article date key is 'published_parsed'. I realize there are variants of RSS feed formats but I believe (based on looking at feedparser.py) that 'published_parsed' is a valid, non-deprecated key.

As a result, any RSS feed-based recipes that use feeds with the 'published_parsed' key are not obeying oldest_article restrictions.

I'm not sure what the best fix is--probably to extract using 'published_parsed' if the 'date_parsed' key isn't there (or vice versa) to avoid breaking feeds that use 'date_parsed'.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
jumafl
Enthusiast
jumafl began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Could this be the same issue that is causing the oldest article function not to skip old articles in basic recipes? The issue started with Calibre 0.9.23.

For example, I have a basic recipe to pull RSS feeds for betanews.com. The fields in this basic recipe are as follows (to recreate this issue you will need to create a basic recipe and enter these fields).

class BasicUserRecipe1363558652(AutomaticNewsRecipe):
title = u'Beta News'
oldest_article = 1
max_articles_per_feed = 100
auto_cleanup = True
feeds = [(u'Top Stories', u'http://feeds.betanews.com/bn')]

Using Calibre 0.9.21 this basic recipe correctly returns only articles posted in the last 1 day. Using Calibre 0.9.23, this recipe returns all articles on "http://feeds.betanews.com/bn" page. The oldest is currently 4 days old.

The same issue is happening with my other basic recipes. All were running correctly until I installed 0.9.23.
jumafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
^I don't know when this problem arose but yes, quite likely this is why.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
jumafl
Enthusiast
jumafl began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I can't say it is related but the Calibre 0.9.23 change log shows this bug fix:

News download: Update the library used to parse RSS feeds.
Closes tickets: 1152852
jumafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/c...revision/14619
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert