Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #136
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Although, then you could never market one of your best early products, the Banana )(
I have an ace up my furry sleeve - a TARDIS. I just go back in time and patent anything I need.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #137
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
I was sure a certain Simian was responsible for this ad:

LOL ...very good. Love it. All that Bananaware. Hmmm... I think it's time to fire up the TARDIS and get me some copyrights.
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #138
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I can only say to you two guys: Superb!
Wonderful innovation. Masterful marketing!

many thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #139
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I can only say to you two guys: Superb!
Wonderful innovation. Masterful marketing!

Thank you.

Next stop, Madison Monkeyson Avenue!
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #140
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Thank you.

Next stop, Madison Monkeyson Avenue!
Let's get in my car and hit the road

Spoiler:
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #141
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)

We can do a Happy Monkey dance when we arrive!

Spoiler:

Damn! They cut me out of the video again!
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #142
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Bananergy

I'm getting me one of them banana laptops.

They come with gesture technology!!!

twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #143
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Isn't the waiting for the new release something that happens before each new release? Wouldn't the analysts factor this in?
Yeah, but people were expecting a bigger release last time, including analysts. People wanted an iPhone 5, but they were given a 4S. Any time something doesn't get a full major version, but rather something that is seen as more of an update, they are hesitant. That's why Microsoft never really publicly announces the full version name for Windows, and instead uses names for the public. NT4 was the last time they did that. Windows 2000 is 5.0, XP is 5.1, 2003 is 5.2, Vista is 6.0, Windows 7 is 6.1, Win8 is 6.2. If people saw that, they'd think hardly anything has changed.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #144
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Yeah, but people were expecting a bigger release last time, including analysts. People wanted an iPhone 5, but they were given a 4S. Any time something doesn't get a full major version, but rather something that is seen as more of an update, they are hesitant. That's why Microsoft never really publicly announces the full version name for Windows, and instead uses names for the public. NT4 was the last time they did that. Windows 2000 is 5.0, XP is 5.1, 2003 is 5.2, Vista is 6.0, Windows 7 is 6.1, Win8 is 6.2. If people saw that, they'd think hardly anything has changed.
Yes, it's all perception. But they way they present it is a branding decision.
The change of branding happened when the version to follow Window 3.11 was "Windows 95".
Remember also the version of MS Word that followed 2.0 was 6.0, so they are not beyond outright making up of numbers if that's what they thought people cared about.

Along the same lines, I suspect Firefox did it's "1 major version per week" thing a few months back for no other reason then to get to a higher version number than IE.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #145
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
The need of the company trumps the needs of the customers.

Google is pushing cloud... well, aggressively.
This is exactly why the Kindle Fire did not work for me. I need storage. Cloud is great, cool. But I need entertainment when there is no Internet.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #146
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Interesting point, but I would have expected the analysts to make a new prognosis after they found out that it wasn't going to be a bigger release.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #147
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yes, it's all perception. But they way they present it is a branding decision.
The change of branding happened when the version to follow Window 3.11 was "Windows 95".
Remember also the version of MS Word that followed 2.0 was 6.0, so they are not beyond outright making up of numbers if that's what they thought people cared about.

Along the same lines, I suspect Firefox did it's "1 major version per week" thing a few months back for no other reason then to get to a higher version number than IE.
Actually, it had nothing to do with IE. They were playing keep up with Chrome, which just released version 21. Beginning of 2011, Firefox was on 3.5, and Chrome was on 8.0. February, Chrome released 9.0, March saw 10.0, 11 in April, 12 in June, etc. So, in response, March Firefox shipped 4.0, 5 in June, 6 in August, etc. Firefox is now at v14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Interesting point, but I would have expected the analysts to make a new prognosis after they found out that it wasn't going to be a bigger release.
They still expected it to sell because it was Apple, plus with all of the world talking about Steve Jobs. The iPhone was nicknamed the Jesus phone for a reason.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #148
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Actually, it had nothing to do with IE. They were playing keep up with Chrome, which just released version 21. Beginning of 2011, Firefox was on 3.5, and Chrome was on 8.0. February, Chrome released 9.0, March saw 10.0, 11 in April, 12 in June, etc. So, in response, March Firefox shipped 4.0, 5 in June, 6 in August, etc. Firefox is now at v14
Maybe it was a combination. If it was only for Chrome, why would they have stopped so much short of Chrome's number? Also, no one is under the impression that Chrome is a venerable and long-proven browser. Everyone knows it's sort of the new kid on the block.
Also, until you mentioned it, I had no idea what version Chrome was on, even though I use it every day. Chrome does not feature it's number as part of it's brand like IE does, so I don't see why Firefox would have been compelled to match them.

Anythehoo....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #149
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Maybe it was a combination. If it was only for Chrome, why would they have stopped so much short of Chrome's number? Also, no one is under the impression that Chrome is a venerable and long-proven browser. Everyone knows it's sort of the new kid on the block.
Also, until you mentioned it, I had no idea what version Chrome was on, even though I use it every day. Chrome does not feature it's number as part of it's brand like IE does, so I don't see why Firefox would have been compelled to match them.

Anythehoo....
They've not really stopped doing it though. Chrome had a head start on them with the version craziness, being 5 full version numbers ahead at the time of Mozilla's change. Firefox is releasing a new version about every month and a half, with version 17 slated to ship on November 20th.