Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Question TOC for News/Periodical only shows "Front Page"? (Resolved)

I have a Sony PRS-650. I'm using the recipe for Popular Science. When I use Calibre to transfer the file it goes to the News folder like it should and I can find it in Periodicals, but the Table Of Contents only shows "Front Page". If I just transfer the epub over manually it shows up as a book and the TOC works as expected. Is this a known issue? Any workarounds?

I've heard of epubs having problems on the Sony when they only have a single node at the first level, but these epubs have 5 nodes at the first level. It seems like when Calibre uploads it as a news publication something happens to the TOC, but I've looked at the files on the reader and their NCX files have the same 5 nodes at the first level.

I did search, but I found no other articles about this.

Thanks,
Etienne66

Update Title: Tried to change Thread Title, but apparently I can't do it.

Resolution: Go to Preferences/Common Options/Page Setup and make sure you have the appropriate Sony Reader set as your Output profile.

Last edited by etienne66; 12-05-2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Provided resolution
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
I have a Sony PRS-650. I'm using the recipe for Popular Science. When I use Calibre to transfer the file it goes to the News folder like it should and I can find it in Periodicals, but the Table Of Contents only shows "Front Page". If I just transfer the epub over manually it shows up as a book and the TOC works as expected. Is this a known issue? Any workarounds?
Exactly what is the difference between "Calibre to transfer the file" and "transfer the epub over manually"?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #3
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Exactly what is the difference between "Calibre to transfer the file" and "transfer the epub over manually"?
Calibre transfers it when you right click the ebook and choose "Send to Device". In my case I choose to "Send to Storage Card B." It copies to a folder on the root of the SD card called "News." It apparently does more than this as it shows up in the Periodicals section on the Home Page of my reader.

By manually I mean if you right click and choose, "Open containing folder" it opens Windows Explorer straight to the file. I then used Windows Explorer to transfer the file.

Thanks,
Etienne66
Old 12-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
etienne66
Groupie

I'm surprised no one has encountered this before.

I've been trying to find out how Calibre gets the periodical to show up in the Periodicals section, but I don't know. Does anyone know how this is done? Until I know that I'm not going to be able to track down the root cause any further as there do not appear to be any problems with the epub.

If I copy the epub and give it a similar name in the same news folder it just shows up under books, so Calibre must be updating some other file.

Thanks,
Etienne66
Old 12-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's an XML db on the reader that has to be updated to tell the reader to treat the epub as a periodical, apart from extra code that needs to be added to the epub itself.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
etienne66
Groupie

Which XML db? I've looked at several but wasn't sure which one did it.

Any idea where it is picking up the "Front Page" from? It isn't in the NCX file. It must be something in relation to being marked as a periodical.

Has anyone used a Calibre Recipe, sent it to a Sony that supports "Periodicals" and had a complete Table Of Contents? If your looking at your periodical under "Books" then it isn't the same because periodicals don't show up under the "Books" section.

Maybe in comparing ones that work and ones that don't we could narrow down the cause of this issue.

Thanks,
Etienne66
Old 12-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IIRC, it's called cacheExt.xml

I use about half a dozen calibre periodicals with my 650, never seen this problem. Try Newsweek or The Atlantic.

The problem is likely caused by something in the NCX (SONY periodicals require the NCX to be converted to another xml file called atom.xml, probably that conversion is breaking somehow)
Old 12-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I am encountering the same issue as Etienne. On my 350 the in-line TOC is fine, but the metadata one only shows one node and one item -- "Front Page."

The periodical's TOC is fine in Calibre's viewer so it's something with either the transfer process or with Sony's latest readers.

I downloaded Time, Newsweek and the NYT's on 11/28 and all three have this issue. As a check, I just downloaded today's NYT's and it too has this issue.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

well you can work around the problem by changing your output profile from sony to say cybook opus. That way calibre wont add the special periodical markup to the epub and it should work the same as before.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
etienne66
Groupie

Apparently I had a problem between my keyboard and chair.

I did not have the Page Setup for my Sony. I still had it set for Kindle.

For anyone else having the problem. Go to Preferences/Common Options/Page Setup and make sure you have the appropriate Sony Reader set as your Output profile.

Thanks,
Etienne66
Old 12-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Thanks, etienne. That worked. I had my profile set on "iPad" because that is what worked with my iPod Touch and when I got the 350, I found that profile worked for that too. So I just kept it. I just changed it to "Sony" and now the TOC for periodicals shows up fine.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, periodicals, prs-650, recipe, toc