Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
dgulliver
dgulliver began at the beginning.

Device: 511EB
Under the Dome crashing my reader

Hi,

I have an Elonex 511EB which I purchased end of feb and I'm already on my 2nd book, however I'm having problems with Under the Dome by stephen king.
It basically crashes on page 8. On this page there is a map of the town where the book is based. I can only assume that the reader is having problems rendering the image. The book was purchased from Waterstones and it is epub format. The other 2 books I downloaded from waterstones work just fine images as well.

I have done the following:
Updated to the latest firmware from Elonex to v0.47
Deleted the book via Adobe Digital Editions and uploaded again.
re-down loaded the book from waterstones website.

Elonex to be honest with are not very helpful, the chap I'm dealing with has only answered 2 of my 6 emails.

The publishers say there is nothing wrong with the ebook and say its my reader.

The Waterstones manager at my local branch is helpful enough to the point where he will exchange the reader too see if that helps, but I'm doubtful.

Has anyone else has problems with ebooks that crash thier device?

Darren
dgulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Hmm, since I don't have the book or your reader, this may be a shot in the dark, but..

If I were you, I will try the following.
(1) Remove DRM from the book (Again, I have no experience buying books from Waterstone since I am in US so you may need help from someone with experience with Waterstone store)
(2) Then use Calibre to convert epub to epub.
The second stage may sound strange but Calibre splits content into smaller files so it is readable in machine with limited memory AFAIK. If the original epub is not well designed for small memory device, this may cure the problem.

Anyway, good luck.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Then use Calibre to convert epub to epub.
Or if that doesn't fix it, open it in Sigil and delete the problem image.

Can you not just skip past page 8 and go straight to page 9? The next few pages after tha map are just a list of characters, so you wouldn't be missting anything.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elonex crashes, under the dome