Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 05:16 AM   #31
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Very effective SQL hack (Kolenka) and super-easy to follow step-by-step instructions (jackie_w)
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #32
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
This is a great hack, it should be stickied !
I can only agree to that, it is easy to do, doesn't affect the firmware and it doesn't void your warranty.
Still it makes the home screen leagues better than it was before.
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #33
amoth
amoth began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1
Automated tool for Kolenka's hack

Because I often re initialise my book.db, I quickly created a tool to automatize the installation / uninstallation for this hack.

It can help those who doesn't want to enter SQL command line too.

Then, this tool contain another trigger option to automatically creating collection with the folder structure of your SD card.

Both triggers can be easily added / removed individually.

tweakDB.zip
Sources are included in the zip file.

Just unzip, double click on start.bat and follow the instructions
amoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #34
bagby
bagby began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm afraid this doesn't work anymore, after some firmware revisions.
bagby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #35
Lanix
Lanix began at the beginning.

Device: none
Too bad. How can they make a home screen that only show last read book without thinking "is this really enough?". Specially considering as an e-reader it can hold thousands of books. IMO it should be a horizontal scrollable list with every read book.

So I'd have to tag books with e.g. "Reading" or what? Though that means I'd have to connect it to calibre more than I'd wanna.

Last edited by Lanix; 02-07-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Lanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #36
bagby

well, not *necessarily*. You can do this from the touch screen, and it may even make more sense that way.

When you finish a book, use the screen to delete it from the 'Currently Reading' category. When you start a new one, use the screen to add it to "Currently reading".

Doing this via the screen may actually make more sense/be easier than using Calibre to do it.

But you still couldn't get the thing to display "currently reading". (Sigh) Then I could switch between, say, 4 or 5 books as I work through them. Alas.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #37
amoth
amoth began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1
This hack seems to work perfectly on my PRT-T1, and I have the latest official firmware (1.004.12210)....
amoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #38
bagby

Using amoth's java hack, now it works for me as well.

OOPS, Spoke too soon.

As soon as I added some books, my Reader reverted to listing "recently added" books again. The trigger's still in place, says SQLLiteSpy, and re-running the java installer has no effect. Installer still thinks it's on. Turning it on and off again with the installer doesn't work.

Well, it was nice while it lasted.

And yet again,

Adding books (at least) causes the Sony Reader to "forget", or maybe more properly, "overwrite" what you've been reading. There is, afaict, no way to get the whole thing back intact. However, it will remember what you read thereafter, so all is well until you add more books (or maybe delete them, haven't tried that.)

There may be a way, through sqllitespy, to play with the "added" dates for new books so that this doesn't happen anymore. I will have to look at the new trigger again, and try that.

Last edited by bagby; 02-18-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #39
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagby View Post
As soon as I added some books, my Reader reverted to listing "recently added" books again.
This is intended behavior. This hack is make homescreen recently read or added. So yes, if you added new books they will appear on your homescreen.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #40
xtreme_tribal
xtreme_tribal began at the beginning.

Thanks a lot Kolenka and jackie_w, the hack works perfect in the version 1.0.04.12210!
xtreme_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #41
roebek
roebek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Sony PRS-T1
Worked like a charm, using sqlite3 on Linux.

Thank you!
roebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #42
fewilcox
fewilcox began at the beginning.

Thanks a billion. This worked a treat.

I still don't get why Sony won't give us this feature themselves. I put a custom firmware on my dear departed 505 exclusively for this feature so my wife and I could share it without having to always refind our books, and so I could easily flip between reference books, and not have to go hunt up my novel of the day again afterwards.
fewilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #43
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
I decided to attempt this on my Mac using MesaSQLite, despite the fact that I really don't know what I'm doing Unfortunately, I keep getting error messages

[deleted useless info -- see post #47 for solution]

Last edited by pssquirrel; 07-19-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: updated info
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #44
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
I decided to attempt this on my Mac using MesaSQLite, despite the fact that I really don't know what I'm doing Unfortunately, I keep getting error messages
A real WAG - try putting a semicolon after the END in the last line (or if that doesn't work a / on a blank line at the bottom after the END line). The basic Oracle sqlplus command seems picky about how you finish a SQL statement or block, whereas some of the GUI tools are more forgiving. Maybe MesaSQLite is being overly picky here too.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #45
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Thanks Simon (and jackie_w, who has been helping me via PM). Unfortunately, the semi-colon and / didn't help ...

[deleted useless info -- see post #47 for solution.]

Last edited by pssquirrel; 07-19-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: updated info
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote