Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Ben2World
Ben2World began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help Me Narrow the Selections

Hi -- total newbie here (just got my very first cell phone last month if you can believe it). Can y'all help me narrow down the field somewhat if I list out my "needs and wants"?

I will be using an "ebook" for traveling (5 months solo trip to south and southeast Asia). Anticipated usage:

1. read PDF docs (guidebooks that I've already downloaded from Lonely Planet). Zoom in and out, bookmark, adding notes or "stickies" if possible.

2. WiFi - surf the web -- news, forums, other websites

3. VOIP -- e.g. Skype -- if this feature exists among ebooks

4. listen to unprotected mp3 music

5. browse .jpg travel photos

Other: charging via USB, SD or micro SD slot

I think that's about it. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ben2World; 06-23-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Ben2World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sounds like you need an iPad, Ben. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are the Lonely Planet PDF's DRM'd?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Ben2World

The LP guides are in PDF.

Just bought the B&N Nook. Sure, the fonts can be enlarged, but maps cannot.

Are there readers that can magnify PDF maps, etc. just like on a PC?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Good choice.

Although with all the features you were describing as important to you, the iPad would have been a good match. Although you're better off getting a netbook AND a dedicated eReader as the best of both worlds.

I also backpacked Southeast Asia for 6 months about 2 years ago. It was amazing. You're gonna love the trip.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Sounds like you need an iPad, Ben. Good luck. Neil
That's what I was thinking, sounds like you want a tablet or what BenLee suggest, a netbook.
if you aren't in a hurry( don't know when your trip is) I would wait and see what HP and the likes bring to the table. I'm holding out for the HP, rumors of HDMI ports, USB ports and 1080P make it much more attractive than the iPad.

Last edited by boswd; 06-24-2010 at 02:31 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Ben2World

Yeah, the ideal would be an Android tablet but my trip is in October. Right now, I have all the PDF files in my Acer Aspire One netbook. The netbook is fine in hotel room or internet cafe but when one is "lost" at some busy crossroads, whipping out a 6-7" reader for a map seems much more practical than booting up a netbook. But the PDF maps are simply too tiny on the Nook -- with no way of magnifying/zooming in. Sigh.

Again, are there any 6-7" readers out there that can magnify or zoom in on PDF maps/illustrations like on a computer?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
pcd
pcd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The Kindle with the newest 2.5 upgrade has a zoom feature for pdf's. How good it is, I don't know.
pcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Ben2World

PCD:

Thanks for the tip. At the risk of sounding picky... I also want to avoid the Kindle -- I prefer either USB cable or SD card methods of transferring files from my PC to the reader. I believe the Kindle has no means of direct connections or card slots. And I don't fancy emailing 60 different PDF files (chapters) to a Kindle.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
You can transfer via USB to the Kindle. I do this all the time---I have a Kindle but buy books from other vendors.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
Ben2World

Good to know. Thanks, ficbot.

I just tried the Sony reader. PDF maps/illustrations can be zoomed in!! That's the good part. The bad part -- there is no way to get the Reader to remember the zoom setting. Every time you turn a page, you have to zoom in again. Unfortunately, it seems like my Lonely Planet guides are 98% "graphics" -- even the text -- so every page needs to be zoomed in (enlarging the font doesn't work).

Another thing about the Sony reader -- there seems to be no adjustment for brightness or contrast -- and the screen is quite dim when away from bright light.

So I am returning the Sony Reader today. I like it more than the Nook, but still...

Last edited by Ben2World; 06-25-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Doh! Sorry to hear that. Sony readers are good devices, but I guess not for your purposes. : (
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:11 AM   #13
princ3ssjasmin
princ3ssjasmin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben2World View Post
Hi -- total newbie here (just got my very first cell phone last month if you can believe it). Can y'all help me narrow down the field somewhat if I list out my "needs and wants"?

I will be using an "ebook" for traveling (5 months solo trip to south and southeast Asia). Anticipated usage:

1. read PDF docs (guidebooks that I've already downloaded from Lonely Planet). Zoom in and out, bookmark, adding notes or "stickies" if possible.

2. WiFi - surf the web -- news, forums, other websites

3. VOIP -- e.g. Skype -- if this feature exists among ebooks

4. listen to unprotected mp3 music

5. browse .jpg travel photos

Other: charging via USB, SD or micro SD slot

I think that's about it. Thanks in advance!
i have the sony prs-600. it goes well for numbers 1,maybe 4 and 5, plus it charges on USB and has an SD and another slot for another mem card making it expandable up to 32gb
princ3ssjasmin is offline   Reply With Quote