Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 AM   #16
th3w
th3w began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Hi,

i had a problem on my Vista Laptop too. Calibre started, but didn´t show the GUI. Taskmanager showed a steady 50% CPU-Time of the process.
I rememberd yesterday, that on the same day of the release of calibre 0.5 that Microsofts Windowsdefender got an update and found the hosts-file suspicious and I clicked repair.
I found this news yesterday:
http://www.h-online.com/security/Win...--/news/112814
I looked and the localhost-part on my system had been deleted. I edited the file and voila, the GUI is back

Bye
Thomas
Bye
Thomas
th3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #17
theoak
theoak began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I'm having the same problem 0.5.0 installed ok then crashes saying database locked. I have removed and re-installed onto the same drive as my library but it still crashes so does 0.5.1.
theoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
disable your antivirus
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Could it be something else?

I ask, because I'm running Vista, and have Windows defender enabled. I just checked it, and it tells me "No unwanted or harmful software detected, windows running normally"

I also run McAfee anti-virus, which is given free to Cox users in this area.

Security Center,
Virus scan
personal firewall,
site advisor and
parental controls are all enabled.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

various anti virus programs cripple your computer to varying degrees. So for example, calibre is often affected by (among others) Kaspersky AV but not by McAfee
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Right, and on all three computers I've owned, Norton NEVER worked right, and always caused problems.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #22
theoak

Just re-installed 5.1 and then had to "add" all my books from book folder as Calibre would not open my database. Still I have success in that Calibre is working again even though some of the books have had their data scrambled.
I am using a laptop running vista with norton anti-virus and my hard drive showing as 2 drives.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #23
theoak

Hm further to above post now when I try to ammend my book information I get the following message :-

attempt to write a readonly database RemoteTraceback (most recent call last): File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 119, in run OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\library.pyo", line 595, in setData
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 852, in set
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 908, in set_authors
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 146, in run
DatabaseException: attempt to write a readonly database
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 119, in run
OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database

Any ideas anyone??
Old 03-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #24
gilamon
gilamon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
various anti virus programs cripple your computer to varying degrees. So for example, calibre is often affected by (among others) Kaspersky AV but not by McAfee
I disabled all the AV but it is still behaving the same way. Also I've been running previous versions of the software with no issues on this machine with the exact same setup.

One question I have is that 0.50.0 loaded fine originally but has never worked since. Is there a config file or registry entry I need to get rid off?
gilamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #25
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you checked the permissions on the Calibre library folder and sub-folders and files, and in particular on the metadata.db3 file? Sounds as if you do not have permission to write to one of these.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@gilamon post the output from running in a command prompt

calibre-debug -g
Old 03-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #27
gilamon

Quote:
@gilamon post the output from running in a command prompt

calibre-debug -g
The output is below. I had originally pointed it to a server folder with the book files and database. I've since unistalled and reinstalled but it looks like it's pointing to old location. Can't get far enough into the GUI to change it and I've tried the new library console command

----------------------------------

C:\Program Files\calibre>calibre-debug -g
link hasn't been detected!
link hasn't been detected!
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "debug.py", line 147, in <module>
File "debug.py", line 120, in main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1582, i
n main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 80, in
__init__
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1413, i
n read_settings
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1409, i
n initialize_database
File "os.pyo", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u'V:\\'
gilamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre --with-library "c:\path\to\some\existing\empty\folder"
Old 03-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #29
gilamon

Quote:
calibre --with-library "c:\path\to\some\existing\empty\folder"
Got it to work using the command above.

Thanks!