Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #91
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@JSWolf: Yup :/. And looking at the videos/shots of the PW, it doesn't seem to be any better there, I still see freaking huge rivers between lines...

The only 'upside' is that I'm finally starting to get used to the 'new' line-height with the lowest setting on a KF8, but, still, it wouldn't hurt to actually fix it so the rendering matches between KF8 & mobi6 at the *same* setting...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-11-2012 at 04:22 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #92
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wow - I never thought we'd see KF8 on the K3. Kudos to Amazon for providing a major upgrade for what is essentially a "previous generation" device.
Amazon just doesn't see it that way.

It's the best device for people with some disabilities, and right now, it's the only device in key markets like the UK with 3G.

If you downloaded a KF8 book with 3.3 or earlier installed, will the KF8 features just start working when 3.4 is installed or do you have to download it again?

Last edited by Daveoc64; 09-11-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #93
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@dukesilver: Nope, the Touch is the only device still using the older fonts. (Although if you have a K3 or a K4, nothing prevents you from ripping the fonts from these and enjoying them on your Touch via the Fonts Hack ).
Even with custom fonts, it's pretty crazy that the Touch is missing the improved fonts and parental controls that the K3 & 4 now have.

I can only assume Amazon just needs more time testing an update for the Touch, but who knows.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #94
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Used the Parental Controls to remove my Archives (always has bugged me). Glad to see that implemented. Font looks a little better too!
I think I may remove the Archives list from my K3 too. I usually send books to my device from the computer anyway.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #95
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Used the Parental Controls to remove my Archives (always has bugged me). Glad to see that implemented. Font looks a little better too!
Nice. Mine has just started to slow down with so much in the archive, especially with my audible books showing now.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #96
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I think I may remove the Archives list from my K3 too. I usually send books to my device from the computer anyway.
I just tried it out and it's great! I sent a book from Amazon and a book from Calibre, and they both showed up right away. I never browse through the archive on the device. Easy enough to turn archive back on if one suddenly needed to do so, I think.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #97
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I've compared two Kindles, one still running 3.3 and one with 3.4 installed. Can't really see any difference between the font.

Not a very good photo but:

Edit - in fact that's even worse than it looked on my computer. Probably needs to be taken in daylight to be of any use.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-11-2012 at 04:50 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #98
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I've compared two Kindles, one still running 3.3 and one with 3.4 installed. Can't really see any difference between the font.

Not a very good photo but:

Edit - in fact that's even worse than it looked on my computer. Probably needs to be taken in daylight to be of any use.
In the photo on the right, the text looks clearer to me. Is that 3.4?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #99
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No

That's why I added the edit, the photo is a poor representation. In the original image on my PC (and to the naked eye) there is no discernible difference between them, but in the photo the one on the right looks slightly clearer... it's the 3.3 firmware.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #100
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
would a screenshot show any font differences? if so, that would be better than a photo that might not be focused right.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #101
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

If no one else posts a photo, I'll either do the screenshot or a better photo in daylight tomorrow. Though as I said, looking at the two Kindle's side by side, I can't really see any difference at all.

Edited to add: Is the screenshot a better option?

Here's a link to the two screenshots side by side.

This time the 3.4 does look a little darker I think.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-11-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #102
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
would a screenshot show any font differences? if so, that would be better than a photo that might not be focused right.
If anyone wants to take a shot of the K3 screen before and after the update to compare fonts, Shift+Alt+G will produce a .gif file that can be found in the Documents directory on the Kindle.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #103
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
RTL support and French dictionary lookup issue

After the 3.4 firmware update I tested support for Arabic and Hebrew. While Hebrew text with and without diacritics works fine, only Arabic text without diacritics is displayed correctly and for some reason I wasn't able to select the Publisher Font option. I.e. it seems that it's not possible to select embedded Hebrew or Arabic fonts.

They also fixed the annoying French dictionary lookup bug, that made it impossible to look up words that started with a single letter followed by an apostrophe and the actual word. E.g. "l'honneur."

Edit: After further tests I found out that Arabic diacritics work in Fixed Layout mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	92202  

Last edited by Doitsu; 09-14-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #104
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
If no one else posts a photo, I'll either do the screenshot or a better photo in daylight tomorrow. Though as I said, looking at the two Kindle's side by side, I can't really see any difference at all.

Edited to add: Is the screenshot a better option?

Here's a link to the two screenshots side by side.

This time the 3.4 does look a little darker I think.
The left side background looks darker to me. But that also can depend on the person looking at them.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #105
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
There's a new User's Guide in my cloud.

I don't think the font looks any different.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote