Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
THANK YOU for posting the information, kjm00!

Hubby met me at the airport yesterday with a Sony 950 that he picked up for me at Best Buy in the Tri-Cities, WA! He knew I wanted one, and since he had to drive to the Tri-Cities anyway to pick me up, he just left early and stopped by Best Buy first. He got the only one left. I am a happy camper and I haven't even had a chance to open it yet, just too tired and sleep deprived yesterday!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #17
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This is great news!!! Congratulations I am sure you will love it to bits
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That's great news, graycyn! Fantastic!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #19
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Welcome to Sony graycn! It took me awhile to get here myself, but am I ever so glad I did.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #20
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's getting its first charge now!

I guess the next step is to buy it a cover (preferably book style) and memory card. I know that Oberon covers designed for Kindle 2 are supposed to fit the 950, has anyone tried an Oberon Nook Color cover on one?
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #21
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
The covers for the NookColor fit the Sony Daily Edition perfectly because those two devices are pretty much the same size. There are tons of selection in Barnes and Noble. That's what I'm using. The only drawback is people seeing your NookColor cover, ask how that device is, and then you having to explain that it's a Sony Reader.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #22
Gregfromcos
Gregfromcos is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-950
So happy I saw this

I'd been checking Best Buy's website for a couple of months and had noticed that they'd removed it. I guess that should have raised some alarm bells that maybe they were no longer going to sell them and they'd be on clearance.

Purchased mine in Colorado Springs East store. They still have 7 left, last time I was in the North store though they had no copies.
Gregfromcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:59 AM   #23
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
You might want to grab a Kindle 2 Platform Jacket for $15 while you can.

Just received mine and I can verify that it fits the 950 snugly and reliably. The slot for the eLuminator light isn't ideal, and I personally wouldn't carry the light inside the case, as the fabric between them wouldn't provide enough protection for the screen, but the leather and construction on my supposedly flawed case are excellent. (The flaw consists of a half inch of slight discoloration on the suede inside and isn't even visible when the case is open unless you remove the 950.)

I was about to vouch for the excellent fit of the Pocket on that same page, but they seem to have sold out (mine is in "Denim Blue").

I was tempted to try the pebbled purple Executive Jacket but refrained. My friend who teaches at NYU and plays violin in Life in a Blender owns one for her K2 and everyone compliments her on it.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If anyone in the Twin Cities (MN) area is looking for a 950 they still had one left at the Brooklyn Center store [they also had a few old 300's for $99].

I went thinking I might get one (like I need another reader), but found I dislike the swipe to turn pages (I generally read one handed) and it didn't appear it could be configured so I could just tap the edge of the screen.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-27-2011 at 09:55 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #25
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
So temptation wins.

My wife has been looking at the Nook STR to replace her Sony 505. I went to Best Buy yesterday to pick up the X-Men movies on Blu-ray to get the free tickets for First Class and saw they still had the one 950 left. I started joking that she should just get that instead of the new nook. After looking through the spec, she asked if it is worth and extra $60. I told her that for the Sony's organization ability and build quality, most definitely. Sure the new Nook claims a longer battery life but the 950 has a larger screen while having the Pearl display and IR touch ability.

Needless to say, she is loading up her new 950 right now and we will hit B&N later tonight to check out the Nook color cases. I told her that if she decides she doesn't like it, she can return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
I went into my local Best buy to take our TV in for service and they have one unit left, marked at $199 clearance.

I was sorely tempted to get it since it was the last one. Had I not just purchased a new 650 two weeks ago to replace my broken one, I may have.

I decided that I should not get it for multiple reasons.

1) I just bought a new 650

2) I don't really want a larger screen than a 6" as it would not fit well in my bag

3) I don't think we need yet another ereader in the house. We already have 2-505s, 1-600, 2-300s, a 650 and two 1st Gen iPads.

4) I don't want to upset my wife by making another unnecessary purchase that we can't afford.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #26
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
So temptation wins.

Sure the new Nook claims a longer battery life but the 950 has a larger screen while having the Pearl display and IR touch ability.
They both have Pearl and IR. For the longer battery life, this is just another way of marketing. It says the new Nook can achieve this if you read 30 minutes per day

Clever, isn't it?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #27
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
So temptation wins.

My wife has been looking at the Nook STR to replace her Sony 505. I went to Best Buy yesterday to pick up the X-Men movies on Blu-ray to get the free tickets for First Class and saw they still had the one 950 left. I started joking that she should just get that instead of the new nook. After looking through the spec, she asked if it is worth and extra $60. I told her that for the Sony's organization ability and build quality, most definitely. Sure the new Nook claims a longer battery life but the 950 has a larger screen while having the Pearl display and IR touch ability.

Needless to say, she is loading up her new 950 right now and we will hit B&N later tonight to check out the Nook color cases. I told her that if she decides she doesn't like it, she can return it.

Oh good for you! I don't have a case for mine yet, so much of my reading is still on the Nook, but a case is coming! I was holding the Sony in hand last night, reading in bed, and it just feels so nice that way, even though I generally prefer a cover. The 7" screen is just growing on me totally. I mean, I liked the *idea* of that, but it is really, REALLY nice in actual use.

Hubby told me the same thing... that if I wanted the new Nook after the announcement came out, I could return the Sony. Fat chance! I am hoping it lasts me for years and years!

Even if the new Nook does achieve longer battery life, I think the Sony will suffice on that just fine.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I was holding the Sony in hand last night, reading in bed, and it just feels so nice that way, even though I generally prefer a cover. The 7" screen is just growing on me totally. I mean, I liked the *idea* of that, but it is really, REALLY nice in actual use.
I really like the 7" screen too. When they first announced the 900 model, my immediate thought was what are they thinking and what an odd aspect ratio. However, I bought it anyway because I wanted the wireless capability. Well, I quickly got used to it! And, the 950 is an improvement on the 900 because they changed the case dimensions and reduced the weight such that it is really comfortable to hold.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #29
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I was so excited when I picked up what I thought was a PRS-950 for $140.99 at Best Buy. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry(my dog was outside in my car and this was a quick trip just to verify they didn't have one on the shelves) and didn't look at the book other than that it said 'daily edition'. So I bought the old PRS-900 instead of the PRS-950. It's still the size I wanted and is similar enough to the PRS-950 except for the lower quality screen and touch technology, right? I do have 30 days to return it so if I hate it, I will retrun it and buy the Nook Touch.

Last edited by anabolina; 05-30-2011 at 04:20 PM.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:12 AM   #30
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I did look at that reader when I walked into the store, and do wish the 950 were offered in black, as the old one was.

But the imperfect touchscreen implementation and lesser screen would be dealbreakers for me personally.

Wouldn't you rather trade it (and $59) for the real thing, assuming your BB still has it? The fact they still have the 900 is a good indication they might.

One good thing about the 900 is the availability of accessories. Unlike the latest (but still discontinued) version for the 950, you can still find the Sony case with light for the 900. It's also much, much cheaper.

There are also remaindered cases by companies like Acme Made, well as this waterproof case by TrendyDigital, should you wish to enjoy your reader while floating in the pool this summer.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-31-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-950