Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #1441
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
That's a very good average price, Paul. Those of us who read voraciously are going to spend more total $$. But we need to be a bit advertent about what we buy, and when, to keep the total costs to a reasonable level. (I don't care how good the latest J. K. Rowling book is, I am not spending $18 on it. Full stop.) Having a reasonable TBR helps that, though I still get a little carried away on new favourite authors/series sometimes.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #1442
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^That could more be a function of available options for reading and the kinds of books you are reading. I seem to have books that never go on sale. I peruse through my wishlist on Amazon once a week for price changes and I also search InkMesh for authors every now and then. Almost everything I really want to read is in $11US to $15US price range. Consequently, I have purchased two e-books in the past half year and rely on paper from the library for 90% of my reading now. Until I start reading cheaper authors/publishers e-reading will be pretty much exclusively public-domain classics which don't interest me too much.
It's true that choice of reading matter affects the average price. Most of my books are SF or fantasy, with a bit of mystery, crime, classics and romance thrown in.

But it is possible to make use of special offers from publishers, and (now) discounts from retailers like Kobo (and in the past Fictionwise).

The vast majority of my paid-for books (1301) come from Fictionwise. Next is Baen with 716. Other retailers account for only 109, and that's from Amazon, Kobo, Books on Board & Pottermore.

Oh! I forgot Waterstones. That's another four books. And WHSmith, another two.

Wow - my average price from WHSmith, Waterstones and Pottermore is around £5/$8! That's my highest average price from anywhere. Only 13 books, luckily.

My best average prices are from Kobo and BooksonBoard. Both just a little over $2/book. That's probably because I only buy from those stores when there's a really good discount coupon or offer.

My average from Fictionwise is $2.47, and from Baen it's $3.50. From Amazon it's a little over $3.50.

Note that these are averages. I do spend more on individual books from time to time. Though the number of times I've paid more than £6.50/$10.00 is probably in single figures.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #1443
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's true that choice of reading matter affects the average price. Most of my books are SF or fantasy, with a bit of mystery, crime, classics and romance thrown in.

But it is possible to make use of special offers from publishers, and (now) discounts from retailers like Kobo (and in the past Fictionwise).

The vast majority of my paid-for books (1301) come from Fictionwise. Next is Baen with 716. Other retailers account for only 109, and that's from Amazon, Kobo, Books on Board & Pottermore.

Oh! I forgot Waterstones. That's another four books. And WHSmith, another two.

Wow - my average price from WHSmith, Waterstones and Pottermore is around £5/$8! That's my highest average price from anywhere. Only 13 books, luckily.

My best average prices are from Kobo and BooksonBoard. Both just a little over $2/book. That's probably because I only buy from those stores when there's a really good discount coupon or offer.

My average from Fictionwise is $2.47, and from Baen it's $3.50. From Amazon it's a little over $3.50.

Note that these are averages. I do spend more on individual books from time to time. Though the number of times I've paid more than £6.50/$10.00 is probably in single figures.

I really miss the Fictionwise model. Buying books only when they go on sale and getting credit towards new books whenever I buy a book. What's left of my TBR are all books I bought on sale at Fictionwise and have gotten to yet. I never could resist one of their "sales".
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #1444
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I really miss the Fictionwise model. Buying books only when they go on sale and getting credit towards new books whenever I buy a book. What's left of my TBR are all books I bought on sale at Fictionwise and have gotten to yet. I never could resist one of their "sales".
Have you tried Books on Board? They have a similar model to Fictionwise. They still offer credits to future sales on books that you purchase.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #1445
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The other factor is country you live in. I would like Postcards by Annie Proulx. Price if you live in the US is $11.99 and it's $19.43 if you live in Canada. Based on living in Canada you could probably add $3 at least to your average Amazon price. It's why most of my reading is done in paper format from my library now. I just can't afford to e-read the titles I want to in Canada. The thread is about limiting spending and I've certainly done that recently.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #1446
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The other factor is country you live in. I would like Postcards by Annie Proulx. Price if you live in the US is $11.99 and it's $19.43 if you live in Canada. Based on living in Canada you could probably add $3 at least to your average Amazon price. It's why most of my reading is done in paper format from my library now. I just can't afford to e-read the titles I want to in Canada. The thread is about limiting spending and I've certainly done that recently.
It's not particularly difficult to set up a US Amazon account for buying eBooks. Once done, you buy yourself some US Amazon gift cards, set your country to the US, and you're all set.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #1447
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Grrrr, Amazon!

The Gun Seller - $1.99
The Black Prism - $1.99
Leviathan Wakes - $1.99
The Sisters Brothers - $2.99

To be fair, they were all on my wishlist.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #1448
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
To be fair, they were all on my wishlist.
That's good then! Much better than paying 'full price'.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #1449
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And Leviathan Wakes is 2 books in one. And.....ahh, who are we kidding?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #1450
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
None of those were on offer here, luckily. (Bah.)

I fell off the wagon too, with Peter F Hamilton's Manhattan in Reverse collection for 0.99.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #1451
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
This is going to go against the crowd but...

About 8 months since my last purchase! It was hard. I've completely avoided all reading related news. I have no idea what new books I'm missing... and I'm okay with it!

The time not spent on looking at new books and buying was also spent on reading through 30 books this year. My to-read list went down significantly and I think I can go on for a bit longer!
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #1452
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
This is going to go against the crowd but...

About 8 months since my last purchase! It was hard. I've completely avoided all reading related news. I have no idea what new books I'm missing... and I'm okay with it!

The time not spent on looking at new books and buying was also spent on reading through 30 books this year. My to-read list went down significantly and I think I can go on for a bit longer!
Many congratulations! I'm extremely impressed. An example for us all.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #1453
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

And one I can't follow. Eight books from a couple of favourite authors in the fictionwise 60% of sale. Average price less than $1.24!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #1454
Quake1028
Guru

I put everything unread/in progress on my iPad 3, and I come up around 100 books almost exactly as my TBR. Need to get cracking. Oh, and I fell prey to Wool Omnibus for $1.99 this weekend BUT it was another wishlist grab.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #1455
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Well, the Humble Bundle just -had- to go into ebooks... there goes my streak. I've always got their game bundles and found it hard to say no to the ebook one as soon as I saw the email.

Ah well, this one is definitely worth it for me!
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote