Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
llixgrijb
llixgrijb began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon N16
Hanvon N16 OI 0.2.2 Update Disappointment

After updating the OpenInkpot firmware, I ran in to a couple of formatting problems. The alignment of the text on the .epub files is always centered even after changing it to justified or left under the settings. The menu seems unresponsive.

The Hanvon no longer remembers and displays the last book you read on the main menu after shutdown. I have to go through a series of menus just to find my place again.

Overall, it seems that I lost functionality after the update. There wasn't really anything new aside from some changes in the interface that I did not like. I thought that screen that prompts you to set the date and time at start up would have been removed from the Hanvon version of OI by now seeing as that Hanvon does not support timekeeping. I was hoping that the sound recorder function of the OEM firmware might have been restored with this update too. But maybe that is asking too much; OI has been pretty good considering.

Is there a software fix to this? I doubt fiddling around with the menu will do anything. Is it safe for me to flash back to an earlier version?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Pelesz
Pelesz began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Muse Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by llixgrijb View Post
After updating the OpenInkpot firmware, I ran in to a couple of formatting problems. The alignment of the text on the .epub files is always centered even after changing it to justified or left under the settings. The menu seems unresponsive.
That's a bug in FBReader not in OI and only in some file. You can always use Coolreader instead. Go to the file via the cursor and press OK, you can set CR to be the default for epub if you like that better.

Quote:
The Hanvon no longer remembers and displays the last book you read on the main menu after shutdown. I have to go through a series of menus just to find my place again.
That one happened with my friend too, just use a reinstall firmware instead of an update one, preferably the daily one.

Quote:
Overall, it seems that I lost functionality after the update. There wasn't really anything new aside from some changes in the interface that I did not like. I thought that screen that prompts you to set the date and time at start up would have been removed from the Hanvon version of OI by now seeing as that Hanvon does not support timekeeping. I was hoping that the sound recorder function of the OEM firmware might have been restored with this update too. But maybe that is asking too much; OI has been pretty good considering.
There was a bug lately in the daily, it didn't ask for the time at startup and you couldn't set it in the menu either, i don't know if it's fixed or not. Recording is working, you choose between wav and mp3 as an output format.

Quote:
Is there a software fix to this? I doubt fiddling around with the menu will do anything. Is it safe for me to flash back to an earlier version?
Try the oi-hanvon...reinstall one, 0.2.2 is quiet old now. Just put the oifw file into the SD and reboot. http://openinkpot.org/pub/daily/

There's a way to revert to original, i never tried it though. http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Device/N5...iginalFirmware

Good luck! Ttfn.
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
llixgrijb

Thanks for the assistance, Pelesz.

I've updated to the latest version using the reinstall file. I'm happy to see the sound recorder application back. It's nice that it's not prompting me for the time and date anymore too.

However, it still doesn't remember the book I last opened nor does it remember the type of menu I want displayed. It continues to show me that graphical menu even after I've repeatedly gone back to the settings to change it to list view . Looks like my Hanvon's short term memory is shot for good.

FBReader still displays centered text. I tried looking for the Coolreader option in the Hanvon menu and also within its system files. Where is it?! I am stumped with that one.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 AM   #4
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
I tried looking for the Coolreader option in the Hanvon menu and also within its system files. Where is it?! I am stumped with that one.
It's available from the file options - long press the number of the file (I hope it's the same for Hanvon, as I have a Hanlin, but I think these should be) and choose the right "Open with" option.

In some older versions Coolreader wasn't available and the option wasn't there, but as you said you've uplated to the latest one, it should be OK.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #5
Pelesz
Pelesz began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Muse Light
Select the book with the cursor, round button in the lower right corner, and press OK. This should bring up a menu. The first three line is 'Open with: E-book reader' (FBReader), 'Open with: Coolreader3', and 'Open always with...', or something similar. As for the 'amnesia', i'm not sure what is the problem. Are you using azbooka fw or plain oi? I only see that with the former, but i don't think it's related to that.
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
llixgrijb

Thanks guys. Coolreader is definitely a step up from FBReader. Better interface and options; appears less buggy. Most importantly, it displays justified text alignment!

I don't know if the firmware is Azbooka or just OI but the version I got was named oi-hanvon-n516-install-20110203-reinstall.zip

Last edited by llixgrijb; 02-04-2011 at 03:45 PM.