Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Charging method you use
Wall charger only sony model or psp charger. NEVER had a problem with charging 505. 25 35.21%
USB only. NEVER had a problem using the usb connection to charge 505. 19 26.76%
I use both usb and wall charger to charge 505 and never a problem. 23 32.39%
USB only and I sometimes get problems on 505. 1 1.41%
Charger only and I sometimes get problems on 505. 1 1.41%
USB and Charger and I sometimes get problems on 505. 2 2.82%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
505 battery charging Vote your method and tips.

I'm trying to figure out what most people in this room do to charge the 505.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I'd say because the 'charge' it self will last for many many weeks of continuous usage . . . it's not anymore the worth getting an extra wall charger than it is to simply just use the USB port.

External charger takes 2 hrs
USB charger takes 4 hrs (while you sleep)

If it was an ipod or mobile phone that needs charging "all the time" and fast. . .
then i'd understand. Otherwise just use the USB and get a wall charger later
if you feel that you really need one.

If you have a SONY PSP, I believe it can use the same charger btw.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:46 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
When I was using a 505 heavily I almost always used a PSP charger which I bought for $5. Of course it also charged some when I was transferring books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
I bought a PSP charger and it worked quite nice. But nowadays I just use one of those double cable for PSP, so that I can use an adapter for recharging and the usb tip for data transfer- it works and it spares me the joy of having a million cables lying around!

(The change was prodded by a couple of incidents when I was left out of juice by the PSP charger. Haven't investigated much about it, though.)
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Can a 500 owner vote?
I find myself using the Sony recharger for the vast majority of the time (240V 50 Hz works fine and falls within spec; just changed the US cable that came with it with some handy Australian cable).
I haven't experimented with USB charging much but was told that USB doesn't recharge unless it is in active communication with a computer - is that the same for the 505?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
I use just the usb, it usually only takes about an hour, two tops for mine to be fully charged. But the battery doesn't last a month. It's lasted probably about three weeks on that though.
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I experimented with many different cables and charging methods when I first bought my Sony. I ended up with a cheap off-brand PSP wall charger that works very well. I let my reader get down to the last bar if not further before I charge, and it takes about 2 hours to top it up once again. I don't often connect it to the USB port as I usually upload 10-20 books at a time and always have at least 150-180 books in the read waiting to be read.

As for length of service of one charge, I can't say by date, but I seem to get 2-3 books from one charge. That's more than adequate for me!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
I bought a PSP charger and it worked quite nice. But nowadays I just use one of those double cable for PSP, so that I can use an adapter for recharging and the usb tip for data transfer- it works and it spares me the joy of having a million cables lying around!

Yes, this is a great solution, which I also use. (I sometimes use a PSP charger too, and get some charging when I load books occasionally.)

300com-It DOES matter, if your Reader ever unexpectedly drains when trying to charge thru the usb port! Mine drained once while I slept (and my computer also decided to take a nap apparently!)

I don't see any reason to spend $30 on the Sony wall charger. The PSP chargers are much cheaper (and available in a lot more form factors). But the PSP power/data cable is the best option of all--reliably charge from any usb port or any usb charger!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I don't see any reason to spend $30 on the Sony wall charger. The PSP chargers are much cheaper (and available in a lot more form factors). But the PSP power/data cable is the best option of all--reliably charge from any usb port or any usb charger!
The Sony wall charger didn't come with the 505?
The 500 I bought had the wall charger bundled.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
The Sony wall charger didn't come with the 505?
The 500 I bought had the wall charger bundled.
Nope, the 505's don't come with a wall charger.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Nope, the 505's don't come with a wall charger.
Quite shocking! Makes you wonder what the wall charger situation is with the other Sony models. They really need to come with one as standard IMHO.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:26 AM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Quite shocking! Makes you wonder what the wall charger situation is with the other Sony models. They really need to come with one as standard IMHO.
As far as Sony's Readers, the 500 is the only one that came with a wall charger. It is an "accessory" for the other models that can be purchased for $30. Of course as we all know, PSP chargers can be found much cheaper and they work great with the Readers.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:26 AM   #13
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Walkman has its own cable, but I do the same trick and charge with my iPod power adapter (sans, of course, the iPod cable!). Really unnerving.

Reminds me of one thing I really would love about the EU: they want to standardise AT LEAST the cell phone chargers. That would be an improvement!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #14
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
the 505's don't come with a wall charger.
A, One of my 505s came in a box that included the wall charger. Another one didn't.

. . . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
A, One of my 505s came in a box that included the wall charger. Another one didn't.

. . . . . Pete
Lucky man!