Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Apple to replace the iPad instead of the battery

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/13/d...ust-sends-ano/

Quote:
We can see the puzzled look on your face from here, and we're sharing in the same disbelief. Apple is actually saying that it won't bother cracking open your withered iPad, replacing the battery and sending it back your way; instead, you'll pay $105.95 (including shipping) for a completely different iPad, which certainly has its pros and cons. On one hand, you're getting a new (or potentially refurbished, actually) iPad in around "one week," but on the other, you'll be waving goodbye to every morsel of personal data on the device that you send in -- unless you backup beforehand, of course. Here's Apple's take on answering "will the data on my iPad be preserved?"

"No. You will receive a replacement iPad that will not contain any of your personal data. Before you submit your iPad for service, it is important to sync your iPad with iTunes to back up your contacts, calendars, email account settings, bookmarks, apps, etc. Apple is not responsible for the loss of information when servicing your iPad."
File this one under "Things I whish I would have known earlier." Seriously, any thoughts I was entertaining as to possibly buying an iPad just went out the door.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Why?

Because of the cost? Outside of the cost (and how much would just the battery be?), I don't see much downside - with the potential upside of moving into a newer model for a few dollars.

I mean, data wise, who cares? Back up before you send it off - which I would do before replacing the battery myself.

Not to mention, for me, these types of gadgets have a couple year shelf life before I end up replacing them anyways - so unless there is some sort of defect, battery life generally isn't a concern for me.

And I assume this is the policy outside of the warranty as well? If so, it becomes even more attractive. I've had my Ipad for, say, 3 or 4 years and the battery finally gives out - I am now into a new one at a very reasonable price.

Last edited by foghat; 03-15-2010 at 09:08 AM.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Why? Personal data and privacy.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I would also be very reluctant to sending in a device with my data on it unless there were some way to format the device before sending it.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, why not wipe it clean before sending it off? I'm sure there will be some sort of factory restore option like on the iphone.

With the personal data and privacy concern, what if you could replace the battery on your own, but instead needed warranty work done? Would you still not buy one because Apple requires you to send it in for warranty work?

Last edited by foghat; 03-15-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
kwjones
Groupie

I think with most warranty work you get the same device back.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
foghat
Evangelist

Maybe, both my wife and myself had our iphones replaced under warranty. But even if you do get it back, bottom line is, someone has had access to your personal data.

It's a concern I guess, but not a big enough one for me. Especially if you can do a factory restore before returning. I know the restore doesn't necessarily make your data unrecoverable, but good enough for me.

You also have to put some degree of faith into Apple and that they are going to do good by you....
Old 03-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I would also be very reluctant to sending in a device with my data on it unless there were some way to format the device before sending it.
All iPods have a "reformat" option; no reason to suppose that the iPad would be any different.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Whatever your feeling of saving/transferring your data, etc, this is simply a waste of resources. It's enough to keep me from buying an iPad at all.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
They should offer an option where a new iPad is sent out immediately, and once you have your data moved over successfully, you wipe the old one and return it. If they have your credit card, and you fail to return the old one, they can always charge you full price for the new one. No technical reason you should be without a device for a week or whatever.

I had to return a defective Kindle to Amazon and that's how they work it. I had a new Kindle the next day, already linked to my account, and had 15 days to return the defective one, w/prepaid shipping. It would be the same for a battery-replacement scenario, except for the servicing charge involved.

The critical issue is how long the battery is expected to last and how long Apple can provide a replacement. Let's say it lasts 3 years. Will Apple still have an identical device to send to you for $99, and if not, what will you get as a replacement? Or will they just say 'sorry, we ran out of replacements, you will have to wait 3 weeks to have your iPad refurbished'. And if it lasts even longer than 3 years, the issue becomes more acute.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-15-2010 at 01:33 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
So, are they sending you a new one, or a refurb. What if you have spent $30 or so for a Zagg or Skinit skin... you really can't reuse those things.

Does it have to be under warranty or does that not matter?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, are they sending you a new one, or a refurb. What if you have spent $30 or so for a Zagg or Skinit skin... you really can't reuse those things.
In fairness, though, that's true with pretty much any device. If you return a Sony or a CyBook for a warranty repair, you might get your old one back, or you might get a new or refurbished one back.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In fairness, though, that's true with pretty much any device. If you return a Sony or a CyBook for a warranty repair, you might get your old one back, or you might get a new or refurbished one back.
Yes, I understand. I guess I don't see this as a repair. I would expect that there are going to be 3rd part battery and install kits like there are for iPods these days too.

That option would probably save you about $60 or so and you get to keep your device and your data.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
What if it breaks before you can sync your data, and you can't get it to work? If they're not even replacing batteries, I understand that they won't repair anything else, just take your iPad with personal data on it and give you a new one if it breaks? Or if you don't want to give them your data, you need to buy a new iPad?

Well, I guess there are enough people with no sensitive information in their brains that won't care about it and buy one anyway.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
Why? Personal data and privacy.
Personally, I wouldn't care about privacy. But I wouldn't want to have a refurbished ("second hand") unit.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote