Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #16
Spiritwnd
Spiritwnd is on a distinguished road

Device: G1, Pocketbook 301+
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
... I see lots of possibilities with this 2 screen format. The ability to have 2 documents open from the same library At The Same time presents a world of possibilities. Books, magazines, and Newspapers can highly expand with the interactive capabilities...
Very interesting concept that might well be a two-point-oh add in the software adaptation for the device.
It appears to me that the company is very forward with communications and might be equally as forward regarding concepts. With Andriod at the heart of the device, it is going to be wide open so that when the SDK is out perhaps we will see the beginning of the "Android-Edge apps".
Spiritwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
I am not saying to wait on a 2.0 version but instead to see what happens when the sdk gets to outside developers. Ths thing is an Android device which means that the eink side is simply new hardware programable from the sdk. This is where this thiing can get wild. As android dev I can immediately work with the lcd side. It is the eink implementation that I need guidance on controling. That is where the sdk will shoot it out of the park.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
Spiritwnd

I agree with the don't wait and SDK subject matter.

However, we are now and in dire need of having the moderators give Edge it's own forums with a dev forum where we can resume this.
As a developer, Edge will be my second Android device but my first desire to start playing with Android development - especially if I can design apps for that eInk screen.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #19
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

You asked. I answered. For first impressions, my comments were spot on and in MY opinion ON TOPIC.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
Spiritwnd

WE (I am equally as guilty) got off topic when we started dreaming about potential Dev for the item.
YOU are right that your first impression are on topic.

Sorry - thought I made it clear when I said we needed a dev forum to continue the discussion.
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #21
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Guys, I agree with everything Paul mentioned earlier in his "quick review". I am impressed. Excellent, excellent device. No doubt about it. Excellent for a first release device. Very, very impressive. Very fast eInk. Page turns, zooming, PDF display capability, technical PDFs display very well. Fastest eInk refresh I have seen so far. One big negative is the weight. It is much heavier than I expected. I will be posting a full review later on along with some pictures.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #22
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
Good point, Z...in regards to a first generation device. Any tech-geek will tell you about the hardships and shoot/miss experiences with first of its kind gadgets, especially cutting edge technology like this. enTourage has CLEARLY done their homework with this one. While my fiance and I have both noticed some laggy software - THAT is the only negative we can find, and we ARE looking for faults! Weight aside, this thing is absolutely incredible, and the folks in VA are to be commended for bringing such a quality device to market ON TIME...the laggy software is sure to be cured with software updates, which I expect (based on my customer service experiences so far) to arrive fast and furious, once they get through this huge launch rush.

We are BOTH more than satisfied with our investments, and HIGHLY recommend anyone contemplating an order to jump on the bandwagon - as Paul has said, this thing has LOADS of possibilities once things REALLY get moving with inside/outside developers.
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #23
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Battery life?

It sounds very good so far, but I wonder how long the battery will last while using e-ink screen with some occasional annotation. Could some of the owners give us some rough estimates?
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #24
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
Good point, Z...in regards to a first generation device. Any tech-geek will tell you about the hardships and shoot/miss experiences with first of its kind gadgets, especially cutting edge technology like this. enTourage has CLEARLY done their homework with this one. While my fiance and I have both noticed some laggy software - THAT is the only negative we can find, and we ARE looking for faults! Weight aside, this thing is absolutely incredible, and the folks in VA are to be commended for bringing such a quality device to market ON TIME...the laggy software is sure to be cured with software updates, which I expect (based on my customer service experiences so far) to arrive fast and furious, once they get through this huge launch rush.

We are BOTH more than satisfied with our investments, and HIGHLY recommend anyone contemplating an order to jump on the bandwagon - as Paul has said, this thing has LOADS of possibilities once things REALLY get moving with inside/outside developers.
well you are right but when the possibilities will be out most likely more similar devices will be on sale..
well one good thing is that now the others e-ink device makers can stop playing marketing games with customers and show their real stuff..
I guess you know who I'm talking about..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #25
paulckennedy
Addict

I can definitely say that I miss Flash when using the web on the Edge. I definitely don't see how the iPad web experience could be any different.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #26
scoff
Enthusiast
scoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I hope someone who has the eDGe would be kind of enough to check (or tell me if you know already) how it handles finding annotations. One of Entourage's youtube videos said that the table of contents will show you all the pages you've to which you've attached notes. Will it also show you all the pages you've annotated?

I would be purchasing the device for academic reading and plan to do a lot of annotation, so I'm wondering how one would go about keeping track of all the annotations.

Also, does the dictionary feature work for any languages other than English?
scoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #27
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Scoff, I will be doing this testing for you and will post the results.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #28
cacapee
Connoisseur
cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.

Device: prs-500
We need that sub-forum!

Zetareticuli - What would be the best way to get started with developing for android on the edge. First thing I'll be looking at is a chm reader if it doesn't already exist.
cacapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #29
zetareticuli
Addict

The first step is to become familiar with the device itself. Use it thoroughly for a few days and discover its strengths and limitations. From there, we can create a list of items that we would like added and take it from there.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #30
Spiritwnd

Android CHM EReader

Oddly enough,the app is titled "Android CHM Ebook Reader" from HYStudio

Got mine for the G1 from the Marketplace and it is also available at androilib

It is okay, a couple of bugs but works for the most part.

-Spirit