Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Question Scanning books - New need help

Just got a Canon CanoScan LiDE 70 and I need some help with scanning.

The software has JPG and straight to PDF capability. I'm scanning at Greyscale 300dpi and the results are pretty good.

Big thing I need help with is how do I compile the image files into something I can convert for Kindle use. Is there an automatic program that will rotate and crop my .JPEGs? Should I do straight to .PDF instead of .JPEG?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I'm starting from square 1 and a search in this forum for "scan book" didn't help me. I need a nice person to walk me through this.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Does it include OCR software?

My Microtek at work came with Abby OCR as part of it's scanning software and scans right to an RTF no need to scan as jpeg's first. I'm trying my hand at scanning my first book on my lunch hour. Unless there's a reason to scan as an image and OCR separately?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
Is there an automatic program that will rotate and crop my .JPEGs?
Take a look at IrfanView. It has a batch mode that will automatically rotate, crop, etc. a bunch of JPEGs at a time.

http://www.irfanview.com/
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
If you're scanning B&W pages, bitonal TIF is much better better than greyscale. You don't need the extra shading abilities, and it makes OCR harder.

I have a Canon LiDE-30, the older version. I haven't figured out how to do multipage Tifs (haven't much tried; most of what I scan on it is single pages), but that or PDFs would be better than jpgs. Also, you should be able to crop your scanning area to just the page itself, and not get all the extra space around it.

There are batch-crop programs for images, but they're all fairly complicated. Photoshop has batch processes that will do it. So does Acrobat--if you combine the pages into a PDF, you can use Acrobat Pro (or various freeware programs) to crop the pages, and then rotate half of them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Does it include OCR software?
I'm not sure. My friend gave it to me without the disc.

The software I got from Canon (CanoScan Toolbox) does have a OCR option but it needs an external program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Also, you should be able to crop your scanning area to just the page itself, and not get all the extra space around it.
How do you do it with yours? I don't see an option for it with Toolbox.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
Thanks for all the help so far guys.

I'm not sure. My friend gave it to me without the disc.

The software I got from Canon (CanoScan Toolbox) does have a OCR option but it needs an external program.

How do you do it with yours? I don't see an option for it with Toolbox.
You can buy a OCR program. There is a pretty complete list in the wiki of what is available. See OCR.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
ooo
Enthusiast
ooo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I was actually just doing this today. Instead of scanning the images, I placed a digital camera on the tripod. This made "scanning" 300 pages take 20 minutes. After I scanned all my images, I imported it into Lightroom, did a batch crop / adjust the settings. Then I imported it into Adobe's OCR program and threw it into my sony reader. It's readable, but I'm not that happy.

Attempt number 2, I converted my images to greyscale this time, maxed the contrast, clarity, sharpness and blew out the grey background. Let's see if this will make the text sharper / clearer on my reader.
ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't go straight to PDF. You'll regret it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
chumbucket
chumbucket began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
What do you think the best format to scan a book to is? I plan on loading them into a Sony 505. I usually read PDF files.
chumbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
I scan either directly to PDF or to PNG.

If you have Photoshop or a similar program use Unsharp mask and Curves tool. Here's a good tutorial on scanning and OCRing: http://www.usfca.edu/its/learning/ci...ing_bas_pc.pdf.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote