Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
eternal
eternal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Image Stuck on Screen

I have an ebook that I've been traveling with for the last 2.5 months and it has worked fine since I got it until yesterday. When I went to charge it, I noticed that an image was stuck on the screen. I didn't think much of it because I have seen this happen before when the ebook is left on and it dies with something on the screen. No big deal, once recharged, the book wipes the screen and everything works fine.

Except this time it hasn't gone away. The image is stuck there and I can't seem to clear it. I tried resetting the device by pushing in the reset button on the back but it still doesn't work. I have searched a bit online and haven't seen this problem elsewhere (which surprises me). Any thoughts? Even when the ebook is off, the picture in the top right corner is still displayed

Pictures below.

eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the screen is broken and cracked. its DOA. Warrenty doesnt cover it. you can even see exactly where it was hit.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
PGP_Protector
Enthusiast
PGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Only time I've heard of or seen images like that is when the device itself is damaged (Screen is shot)

I've no idea if this is the case with your screen, but it looks like something hit the screen in the center of that square.
PGP_Protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
eternal

Ugh. Really? When i look at the box it seems like a picture from a hallway or something that got stuck. I just pulled it out of my backpack and plugged it in. i dont remember dropping it or anything. I think I read Sony will replace the screen for $180, right? Should I just buy a new one?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
That is a classic example of a broken screen substrate, I'm afraid.

(If you search our forums, you'll find a lot of other, very similar pictures.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That is unquestionably a fractured screen substrate, and if the image on the screen won't refresh, you've probably badly damaged the screen controller too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:00 AM   #7
eternal

OK Thanks. Because I'm backpacking 2/4, does anybody have a good recommendation on a strong and light case to use? Apparently the one I have didn't work too well. Thanks
Old 03-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Nova5
Enthusiast
Nova5 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal View Post
OK Thanks. Because I'm backpacking 2/4, does anybody have a good recommendation on a strong and light case to use? Apparently the one I have didn't work too well. Thanks
Look into some of the Tin cases. the metal should be more resilient than a cloth or foam case. Plus if you do manage to crush it the metal will remain crushed to forewarn you of the readers demise next time
Nova5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal View Post
The Book Armour case is *really* sturdy & protective!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
The Book Armour case is *really* sturdy & protective!

Sayhello

I love my Book Armour case, but it's not light. It probably weighs as much as the Reader. I wouldn't leave home without it, though.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
There's a thread over in the Reader Accessories sub-forum about making your own hard-case from a DVD security case. I've made two of them; it works splendidly. The DVD security cases are available from Brodart.com for way under $10.

Turning the security case into a reader case takes only about 10 minutes. And you wind up with a quite sturdy and light-weight hard-case that will protect your reader inside a suitcase, briefcase, or backpack.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote