Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-17-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Manage your Bookmarks: furl.net

Discovered a bit by accident, check out www.furl.net. It is a web-based "filing cabinet" for links. A little odd, as at first I thought, "Why is this any better than bookmarks?" But it's power is in storing stories that you're interested in. For example, I have a bookmark for the New York Times, but I don't bookmark every story that I'm interested in to reference later. But that's just what Furl is designed to do. If it's interesting, grab it, and later you can find it in your archive. Plus it's designed for sharing, and can RSS feed your latest grabs. If you and your friends are constantly trading links, this could be a cool tool. It's also just one line of java to reference your archive on a web page, so that it shows up the last number of entries there.

Curious to hear other folks' take on this. Seems like an interesting service. Wonder if it will last...
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:33 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sounds great!

Since I am using MyIE2 as a IE-browser replacement, it took me a while to figure out how to install the Furl Button:

- Go to the Furl web site
- Right click on the Furl It link on the right side of the page
- Select "Add to Favorites"
- If a security alert pops up, click on the "Yes" button
- Add the link to the main Favorites folder

The new link should appear on the Favorites toolbar. Click on that link when you want to use Furl.

Thanks again for the tip, ignatz!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2004, 11:00 AM   #3
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also see spurl.net, which seems to do the same thing. Not sure what's the deal, if these are competing sites with the same tech, or what? Any insights?
Old 05-14-2004, 02:55 PM   #4
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Hey ignatz, thanks for mentioning Furl.net. Its a great free service for every hardcore net junkie - well, I am using it almost every day.

I also had a look at Spurl.net and it appears to me that the two are virtually identical. Spurl.net looks somewhat prettier, but no reason for me to switch over from Furl.net.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #5
ignatz
mechanoholic

Hey Morpheus, what's your name on Furl? I'd like to subscribe to your list. Mine is ignatz, big surprise...

I use it like crazy too. Mostly I use it for reference, saving links that I know that I'll want later to software or other useful types of pages... It's a great service, esp. for free.
Advert
Old 05-16-2004, 05:21 AM   #6
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I have my Furl.net settings so that all added channels are marked private. This way I don't have to bother about which channels I want to share and which not.

Aren't you concerned about privacy issues?
Old 05-16-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
ignatz
mechanoholic

No, I'm really more interested in propagating ideas. I've tried to encourage some friends to use Furl, and also to follow my list, as an alternative way to follow trains of thought and web explorations, but that hasn't happened. I don't feel that I'm revealing all that much through my list. Is there anything I should be concerned about that I'm not thinking of?
Old 05-17-2004, 02:51 PM   #8
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!

I am just in general hesitant to revealing too much information on the Net about myself or my serving habits without knowing who is going to collect that information afterwards. Most probably there is nothing wrong with posting your 'furls' to the public; for my purposes though there is also nothing wrong with keeping them private :P
Old 06-12-2004, 04:29 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Found another similar free service today:

http://feedmelinks.com/portal

"Feed Me Links keeps your bookmarks so you can use them on any computer or browser. Share folders of links (example) via email, super-compact URLs, and XML/RSS, spy on your friends' links, subscribe to favorite folders, stay on top of recent links, baffle your dog, see the two-headed fish boy!!!"
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:00 AM   #10
cactusjack
cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.

Device: TT
Thumbs up

What can I say but thanks for this resource guys. It is gonna be invaluable. As a sometimes on the road techie without a laptop it will be great to have the ability to access my bookmaks from any net enabled PC
cactusjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:53 AM   #11
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Totally agree! Furl.net has become an neccessity for me almost as important as my daily e-mails.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:02 AM   #12
ignatz
mechanoholic

Hey ya'll, glad to hear there are others who are as enamoured of it as me. I use it mostly for tracking computer related issues, but I'm trying to train myself to furl interesting news and articles as well. I would love to see what you guys are doing, if you have public listings. My username there is ignatz. You can search and readily find my listings.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:43 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
And another Furl-clone service:
http://www.simpy.com/simpy/Splash.do
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:53 AM   #14
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!

Perhaps it is of interest to the one or other: Furl.net by Mike Giles has been acquired by Looksmart today. According to Looksmart, Furl will remain a free service, though it plans to incorporate targeted contextual ads into furled content.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:28 AM   #15
ignatz
mechanoholic

I see that I never mentioned in this thread, but I wound up ditching furl.net for spurl.net. Their browser integration is much better and their service is generally technically superior.