Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Add to chapter marks to mobi file?

Whats the easiest way to edit a mobi file to add chapter marks?

Please dont say convert it to epub in Calibre and edit with Sigil
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Whats the easiest way to edit a mobi file to add chapter marks?

Please dont say convert it to epub in Calibre and edit with Sigil
Don't ask for the easiest if that isn't what you want
You could also extract the html from the mobi file, add header tags to it in the relevant places, then re-generate the mobi with mobicreator.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Calibre using Heuristics processing sometimes works. Sometimes the right xpath regular expression will do it. You can quickly view the code of your book in the Search and Replace Wizard to see what it is so you know what regex will work if Heuristics processing fails to find the chapters.

Make a backup of your mobi file so you can drag into Calibre each time you need run a test conversion.

I don't use Sigil at all.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My apology in advance... I'm writing a book and go from an HTML file, add the photos in Sigil, create a TOC, (check it in the TOC editor), and then convert to a mobi with Calibre.... I find it a fairly easy task.....

Again, SORRY!!!!!
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
This is what I do when I edit my own files:

1. I make sure all my "Chapter 1/2/3/4 etc" are Heading 1 (from styles and formatting)
2. Then I save as HTML
3. Use Mobipocket Creator to make .PRC (and there I create a TOC by specifying "h1, class, western" in the Tags' 1st Level <-- remember Heading 1)
4. Simply convert .PRC to .MOBI by using Calibre

PS: I use OpenOffice to edit the files but I'm pretty sure it will work in Word as well.
And, sometimes, it works with other tags (in HTMLs I'm too lazy to edit) but most of the times I have to use h1, class, western.
Other times, when the book is already a .MOBI/.PRC I just run it through Calibre once and voila, chapter marks! But again it does not always work. People have explained it to me but it just flies over my head...
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
To add chapter marks to a pre-existing Mobi file with a decent HTML table of contents already inside it, I'd say
  1. unpack using the Mobiunpack script
  2. copy-paste the TOC section and then
  3. regexp or otherwise search/replace the HTML bits surrounding the chapter titles and anchor links to create an NCX
  4. fill in the PlayOrder and other necessary pieces
  5. regenerate the Mobi, linking your new NCX
It's not exactly easy, but it takes marginally fewer steps than the Calibre to Sigil to Calibre/KindleGen round-trip.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
I guess the biggest concern for me is not laziness but changes to formatting due to conversion to epub and then back again.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
In which case, Mobiunpack and manual NCX creation, though mildly tedious, will give you the least formatting changes since it'll leave the actual Mobi formatting untouched, which Mobi-ePub-Mobi almost certainly won't.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote