Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 AM   #16
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
*shrug* I don't generally use the stock Jinke firmwares. (One of the reasons is that the download from their web site is often glacially slow and unreliable.) That said, the most common cause for errors while updating the firmware seems to be the SD card. But since updating to another firmware seems to work for you, maybe the firmware image you have is corrupt. I suggest trying the latest BeBook firmware - it is, AFAIK, based on the 2008-12-12 Jinke firmware.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
ben1981
ben1981 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1981 View Post
Hi guys, does Jinke 2008-12-12 firmware work for you? I cannot even finish firmware update. It always stuck at any point of update (randomly at different steps). Then I have to upload second last firmware which is fine....
It seems the installation always stucked at verification of update file ("Verifying update file" message just stayed on the screen forever).

It turned out that there was "only" about 180 MB of free space on my SD card (excluding update file). When I deleted another 400 MB of content from the card and ran the update again, it got over verification step and finished successfully.

So it seems it is good to have at least 300 MB of free space on SD card with FW update file for successful update.
ben1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
oddity
oddity began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook/V3
I think the bootloader uses the SD card as temporary storage (maybe for uncompression or backup) during firmware update, so it's a good idea to use an empty SD card. My 256MB SD cards seem to work well when empty, and the documentation says that you must use a card larger than 128MB, so from this I deduce that it needs about 150-200MB as temporary storage (the firmware image is 55MB).
oddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddity View Post
I think the bootloader uses the SD card as temporary storage (maybe for uncompression or backup) during firmware update, so it's a good idea to use an empty SD card. My 256MB SD cards seem to work well when empty, and the documentation says that you must use a card larger than 128MB, so from this I deduce that it needs about 150-200MB as temporary storage (the firmware image is 55MB).
Well I only have less than 80 meg free on my 256M card and have successfully used it for a firmware upgrade. The current contents includes the firmware as I haven't bothered to remove it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote