Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #226
Lili819
Lili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: MPB, iOS, Kindle PW
PW is my first ereader. I would not buy one without.

The experience of reading anywhere, regardless of light source quality, is amazing.

When I was younger I would've had a mild aneurism if someone had shown me this amazing device.
Lili819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #227
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Well I just bought 3 old non-lighted readers to play with (and read on). A Jetbook Lite, an Aluratek Pro, and an Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro. All 5". Only the Astak has arrived, so far, but I really like it. I'd like one of the current companies to produce a lighted 5" reader with folder capabilities like the three I mentioned. And SD card slots. I had a Jetbook before, so I know what to expect. Great lightweight readers that can have folders and sub-folders, and with full size SD card slots!
I owned a Pocket Pro. It was my first eReader. They peel after awhile. I put the Cool Reader firmware on it. Had to use some really black fonts to read with. I upgraded to a K3 and sold the Pocket Pro when I wanted a K4.

I like the Kindle collections better. The only thing I really liked about my old reader was it weighed practically nothing.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #228
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
I, for one, do not want a front lit reader
until Kindle supports epub, they're not even an option
I also wouldn't buy a reader without buttons.
I thought the same about buttons until I tried my paperwhite. The response is instant and I much prefer being able to just touch a word to have the dictionary definition pop up rather than having to scroll around.

The paperwhite screen is worth having a look at - I suggest you wander around the local coffee shops until you see someone with one and then ask for a demo. It really is quite stunning. Last night we had a big thunderstorm here in London and I was just sitting out in the garden reading my KPW and waching the lightening - had to go in when it eventually started to pour.

Do you not use Calibre to transfer and convert ebooks? I have no idea what format half the books I read on my Kindle were originally and epub is a pretty simple conversion.

Last edited by mike_bike_kite; 07-23-2013 at 07:15 AM.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #229
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I owned a Pocket Pro. It was my first eReader. They peel after awhile. I put the Cool Reader firmware on it. Had to use some really black fonts to read with. I upgraded to a K3 and sold the Pocket Pro when I wanted a K4.

I like the Kindle collections better. The only thing I really liked about my old reader was it weighed practically nothing.
Well, I don't know if I'll be keeping it. Maybe if I can figure out how to put coolreader on it and test it. The text on my Kobo Mini is much darker than the Pocket Pro text, which unfortunately makes a deal-breaking difference to me.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #230
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I can't remember if I posted in this thread but in the past few months I've bought a nook simple touch and 2 kobo mini's, all of which are non-lit. I bought the nook as a backup for my paperwhite and the kobo mini is a nice portable reader. The paperwhite is still my main reader. I wouldn't have a non lit reader as my main device though.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #231
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
"Were you looking at a Glo or an Aura?..."

I was looking at all the Kobo offerings. Sunlight and incandescent lighting both have very high IR content so any IR contribution from the lighting would be irrelevant. It's just a case of using the cheapest components that they think they can get away with.

As far as the buttons go. I have Sony 350, 650 and T1 readers. I just tap to bring up a word in the dictionaries. But I hold the reader in one hand when I'm reading (usually my left) and the page forward and back under under my thumb. Without the buttons, turning the page requires both hands. My hands are neither large or agile enough to be able to swipe the screen when I hold the reader comfortably. But this topic has been done to death in other discussions and I am just a speedbump on the road to Nirvana (or wherever). Don't wireless either, at least not in a reader.

My ideal reader would be a Sony 650 with PRS+ software and the Aura screen. I am doomed to disappointment.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #232
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I don't know if I'll be keeping it. Maybe if I can figure out how to put coolreader on it and test it. The text on my Kobo Mini is much darker than the Pocket Pro text, which unfortunately makes a deal-breaking difference to me.
It's easy! Just like manually updating a Kindle. It's called the Lbook Firmware. You want the one for v5. Top link on this page. Updating is the same way you update Astak Firmware. If you don't like it you can always reflash back to Factory Firmware.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #233
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
...Without the buttons, turning the page requires both hands....
Amazon, are you listening? I love the Paperwhite, but if I could make one suggestion it would be to extend the next page turn area to include the bottom third or so of the left side of the screen. I also hold me reader in my left hand, and it's much easier to use two hands for a page turn rather than try to extend my thumb to the right half of the page.

This would be so much sweeter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindlePaperwhite.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	108498  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-23-2013 at 06:15 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #234
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Amazon, are you listening? I love the Paperwhite, but if I could make one suggestion it would be to extend the next page turn area to include the bottom third or so of the left side of the screen. I also hold me reader in my left hand, and it's much easier to use two hands for a page turn rather than try to extend my thumb to the right half of the page.

This would be so much sweeter!
Send that to their feedback email address or you can leave it on the site through Kindle Support. Amazon does listen to their users.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #235
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
It's easy! Just like manually updating a Kindle. It's called the Lbook Firmware. You want the one for v5. Top link on this page. Updating is the same way you update Astak Firmware. If you don't like it you can always reflash back to Factory Firmware.
Blossom, thanks for the link! I am going to give it a try.

Well the top link, the file I got was corrupt, so I tried the next newest. Some things I liked about it, but the text was no darker, and the font size choices were fewer. So I took it back off.

I think I am done playing around with (buying) non-lighted ereaders.

Last edited by booklover6; 07-23-2013 at 09:00 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #236
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Send that to their feedback email address or you can leave it on the site through Kindle Support. Amazon does listen to their users.
Generally I'm too lazy, but since you twisted my arm, I just sent Amazon an email.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #237
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Generally I'm too lazy, but since you twisted my arm, I just sent Amazon an email.
I think it's a great idea. Hopefully so will the Kindle team.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #238
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Blossom, thanks for the link! I am going to give it a try.

Well the top link, the file I got was corrupt, so I tried the next newest. Some things I liked about it, but the text was no darker, and the font size choices were fewer. So I took it back off.

I think I am done playing around with (buying) non-lighted ereaders.
It was a nice reader for back in the day but Pearl screen just made it obsolete. We need a 5 inch pearl screen reader. I know Sony had one, the 350 but I think that's the only one I've heard of.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #239
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It was a nice reader for back in the day but Pearl screen just made it obsolete. We need a 5 inch pearl screen reader. I know Sony had one, the 350 but I think that's the only one I've heard of.
There's the Kobo Mini, too. Currently available on sale in the UK, at least.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #240
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I still love my mini, it's the sturdiest device I've come across so far. Yes, it's starting to peel a bit, and yes, a pearl screen would be nice, but at least I can make subfolders on it (so far, I've not come across one "collection"-type reader that supports sub collections...) and I feel I can put it my bag with impunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's the Kobo Mini, too. Currently available on sale in the UK, at least.
Is that a pearl screen? I thought it was a standard e-ink screen (the ebook comparison wiki page also doesn't mention pearl)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote