Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
eInk and lighting on the Samsung Alias 2

It has been said time and again on these forums that it is not possible to backlight an eInk screen. When a friend of mine told me he was considering a Samsung Alias2, with an eInk keypad that changes for different functions I asked about how it would be used in the dark, which he often needs to do as a plumber working in basements and cramped spaces. He kindly informed me that it was backlit, and pointed me to a video (http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/08/v...pad-in-action/).

Looking at the vid, it does appear to be backlit, yet I thought people had made it clear on these forums that this was not possible. Anyone know what Samsung is doing differently?

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Are you sure it is e-ink? It looks like the screen of an iphone.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Engadget started the EInk "rumour" because the key labels can change (Samsung Phone with EInk Keyboard), but if it has back lighting that seems unlikely.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
While eInk does not require backlighting to work, nothing really prohibits the eInk from being back lit. I suspect more eInk devices in the future will have some sort of lighting mechanism.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I'd always thought that back-lighting required a transmissive display (i.e. one that relied on light passing through it to generate the image), and that e-ink was a reflective display, i.e. that light was reflected from it. Whilst being a reflective display doesn't preclude lighting, I'd assumed that it would not then be a back-lit, but instead a front-lit display (e.g. as the Sony accessory does). Or have I misunderstood something (decidedly possible!)?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There are filters/surfaces/film that reflect light on one side and allow light to pass through on another side. It's not far fetch to imaging an eInk device using such a material.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My dream screen would be a backlit e-ink screen.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Do we know it's not a lightwedge type screen? Lit from the side, like the Sony PRS 700?
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It appears from the web pages I looked at that they are talking about the keypad being e-ink or e-paper (making the keys changeable), not the screen part. The screen is in color, so probably not e-ink.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
My dream screen would be a backlit e-ink screen.
It is not possible to backlight an e-INK screen as the light cannot show through since the ink is not transparent. However other e-Paper technologies might be able to support a transparent screen that could be backlit. You would have to study the various techniques, one is bi-stable LCD.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #11
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Yes, this looks to be a kind of LCD. That is definitely backlighting (look at the dark keys when the lights go on and off).
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
GntlmnBndt
Zealot

Well, I still don't get it. They are definitely claiming it is eInk, or as they put it: "Magic Keypad with E–Ink Technology." I suppose it could be an illuminated film as =X= suggests. Looks nice. Certainly brings up some interesting possibilities.

The Bandit
Old 05-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Is Samsung saying "Magic Keypad with E-Ink Technology" or are reviews/blogs saying that? (I looked around and didn't see a Samsung advert, but I didn't look that hard)

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
While eInk does not require backlighting to work, nothing really prohibits the eInk from being back lit.
The fact that an eInk screen is opaque rather does prohibit it .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
GntlmnBndt
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Is Samsung saying "Magic Keypad with E-Ink Technology" or are reviews/blogs saying that? (I looked around and didn't see a Samsung advert, but I didn't look that hard)
The quote is from the details tab on Verizon's product page (I think they are theonly US carrier selling this model). I could not find any information at Samsung either.

The Bandit