Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #16
smihaila
smihaila began at the beginning.

Device: none
I would prefer the Linux clean & open source distro that we're currently having for M92, over the Java/Android crap. Who in his right mind would prefer to run slow java interpreted code crap over compiled/native code?? We can already have some hints on how crap the java will be since Onyx has to up the cpu and ram resource just to keep the overall device responsiveness to the same level.
smihaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:57 AM   #17
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
There are many many German language (and some Polish too) fiction books made as A6 pdfs, some of them - 2 column. On 6.8" Aura HD almost OK, but still a bit small, because 6.8" screen is slightly smaller than A6. So still some zooming or margin cropping can be done to increase the size.
But 8" should be more than enough for hassle-free reading of A6 pdfs. In fact, the letters might be unpleasantly too large - smaller letters allow easier reading of several words at a glance. At least in English. Who can read German compound words at a glance anyway

Last edited by parkher; 04-16-2014 at 02:03 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2014, 02:16 AM   #18
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
I would prefer the Linux clean & open source distro that we're currently having for M92, over the Java/Android crap.
I don't know. Android is linux anyway. But there are so many apps ready-made for android. And new appearing every day. Some might be useful on an e-reader.
As to what is really important - Cool Reader 3 - it is pretty easy to build it from sources for android in Eclipse even under Windows - once you do, you can modify Cool Reader to your liking. A linux port probably has to be more tailored for a specific reader hardware. Some SDK for a specific reader might be also needed. For android, android SDK and android NDK should be enough, although some slight adjustments for a specific reader still may be done, for example, in the area of button support, etc.
And Cool Reader for android is more advanced to begin with than for other platforms, I think.
The second important thing is dictionary software. Again, for android there is some choice of ready made dictionaries, although probably not specifically for e-ink devices.

Last edited by parkher; 04-16-2014 at 02:29 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #19
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PocketBook Inkpad Color 3
Looks like the i86 wasn't even in the exhibition of the last 3 days in Hong Kong:

http://www.onyx-international.com.cn...php?serial=913

This one big in the front might be the M96 not the i86, right?
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #20
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoocampo View Post
Looks like the i86 wasn't even in the exhibition of the last 3 days in Hong Kong:

http://www.onyx-international.com.cn...php?serial=913

This one big in the front might be the M96 not the i86, right?
The shortcuts along the bottom include an "Apps" button.

Also, their blurb re: CEBIT in Germany (March 2014) does not mention an 8" device. Their blurb for HK (Apr 2014) does. And isn't the i86 their only new 8" device?
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #21
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
The shortcuts along the bottom include an "Apps" button.

Also, their blurb re: CEBIT in Germany (March 2014) does not mention an 8" device. Their blurb for HK (Apr 2014) does. And isn't the i86 their only new 8" device?
I looked at it again, the one in the photo its definitely the M96 (9,7 inch) not the i86: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #22
illumilore
illumilore began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
"Looks like the i86 wasn't even in the exhibition of the last 3 days in Hong Kong:"

From an email from them

"Currently, only M92 is available in US market, which is a 9.7" ereader with linux OS. We plan to launch M96 whose OS is Android 4.0 in the middle of this year.

Besides, we are also plan to release T68 and I86 soon, they are with Android 4.0 and freescale 6 as CPU. For details, pls check the attached latest e-catalog in 2014. "

So it seems that they are planning the i86 after the m96
illumilore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #23
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by illumilore View Post
From an email from them
To whom did you send the email?
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #24
illumilore
illumilore began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
To whom did you send the email?
To their support address.
illumilore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #25
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by illumilore View Post
To their support address.
I am asking because there are different distribution channels for Onyx. Their release dates will be different. It is still not clear to me whom did you email in particular, though it seems like onyx-international.

ereader-store.de from Germany
https://onyx-boox.com/ from Poland
http://www.onyx-international.com/en/ is the site of parent company.
Then their is Russian Onyx Distribution Channel etc
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #26
Neverm0re
Neverm0re knows the square root of minus one.Neverm0re knows the square root of minus one.Neverm0re knows the square root of minus one.Neverm0re knows the square root of minus one.Neverm0re knows the square root of minus one.Neverm0re knows the square root of minus one.Neverm0re knows the square root of minus one.Neverm0re knows the square root of minus one.Neverm0re knows the square root of minus one.Neverm0re knows the square root of minus one.Neverm0re knows the square root of minus one.

Device: iPad 2, PRS-505
Now that both T68 and M96 are out, does anyone know anything about the release date of i86?

Do you think that the screen density of i86 (250 PPI) would provide a significant improvement for reading PDFs (e.g. textbooks) compared to current 9.7" readers (150 PPI)?

On a related note, here are a few interesting photos showing M92, T68 and Kobo Aura HD.
Neverm0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #27
re4om
Enthusiast
re4om doesn't litterre4om doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DXG, Voyage
Short table of differences between Onyx boox i86 and Pocketbook inkPad.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
There is a better battery and smaller size in Pocketbook inkPad. But Onyx has Android 4.0 & Bluetooth 4.0

Last edited by re4om; 06-19-2014 at 04:23 PM.
re4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 AM   #28
diegoocampo
Connoisseur

And this is how the i86 will look like:

What do you think?? also there is something about the release date... but i am not too good at chinese:

http://bbs.onyx-international.com.cn...22749-1-1.html
Old 07-30-2014, 05:30 AM   #29
diegoocampo
Connoisseur

Dimensiones del producto: 210x160x9mm (altura / anchura / espesor)
Old 07-30-2014, 06:35 AM   #30
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoocampo View Post
And this is how the i86 will look like:

What do you think?? also there is something about the release date... but i am not too good at chinese:

http://bbs.onyx-international.com.cn...22749-1-1.html
The picture didn't make it... Google Translate made 'after National Day' out of the release date; that would be October 1 and a lot later than I hoped
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote