Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #16
dregar
dregar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster, coming from Singapore. I got my Sony PRS-505 (my first ebook reader) just a few days ago, mail ordered from Amazon.com. I think there's already some imported ebook readers out there in Singapore. I saw a used Sony reader sold on eBay Singapore earlier this month, but couldn't get it. I ended up buying a new one from Amazon for about the same price. It's a great device, especially with Calibre!

Here's hoping for more ebooks available out there. It certainly would help non-US customers out there: the convenience of getting the book in a matter of seconds.
dregar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #17
terrance_teoh
terrance_teoh began at the beginning.

Device: O2 Atom
Hi Cbell,

Thanks for your link. It's most useful.

One thing I have yet to get used to, when using an eInk device is I have now gotta do my reading with the lights on! Not sure I like that after using my O2 Pda as a reader for so long. Oh well, maybe the Sony PRS-700 next !

terrance_teoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2008, 05:08 AM   #18
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
terrance_teoh, you can read without the lights on... if you use a mini-booklight.

I expect a booklight can be clipped on the case of most of the e-Ink devices.

More ideas: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7762

Last edited by cbell; 10-24-2008 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Added MR link
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:20 AM   #19
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User
hpkeong began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8, V3, Fujitsu Tablet PC, EEE PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit&Run View Post
Hi Hong.
Thanks for the info. Thanks Terrance, also, for the questions about Singapore, which I am finding very useful.
I'm in Australia and I am hanging out to own an eReader. I have been jealously eyeing them off for awhile, but the opinion of manufacturers seems to be that nobody down here reads : They are just not available here. I am very much affected by DRM, Sony's and Amazon's xenophobia etc etc. and it is most frustrating.

Anyway, I have friends/family members who go to Singapore frequently for work, so I could get someone to pick up one of your eReaders if it looks like it would suit my needs. In fact, come to think of it I might be up there myself in a couple of months and I'd be interested in having a look at your product if you have it available in SIN or can ship it down on spec. from JB.

What website should I go to to check out the reader you're selling? I'd love to have a look at it.

btw I only need Roman alphabet: I read in English, French and (intermediate) Indonesian and I'm learning Spanish (so French and Spanish letters/punctuation capabilities would be an advantage).

Thanks!

HR

PS This is my first post on the forum!! Hi everyone! I came here to "Introductions" to actually introduce myself, but I got waylaid by your thread so here I am
Hi HR:

Yes, V3 supports DRM and many languages, including those you mentioned here, as V3 is also eveing on European market, unlike Kindle, Sony & Irex which are very English-oriented.

You may visit www.jinke.com.cn, English page for details of the product.
Anyway, V3 is very steady and as i have been using sincve 4 years ago, i would say i am very senior to answer questions on ebookreader (7 years ago i started using ebookreader from Taiwan, equally steady and no problem except the formats supports are insufficient)

Well, do arrange with me and I can go down to JB or Singapore to share with you the product. Yes, it can cbe costly on travelling but glad to have a new USER (not only buyer).

Surely you will love it as me - after comparing my V8 to V3 (exactly just after receiving) my first word was WOW...so good..paper-like device and a pleasant to read.

Thanks

Hong
hpkeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #20
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User

Hi HR:

Yes, V3 supports DRM and many languages, including those you mentioned here, as V3 is also eveing on European market, unlike Kindle, Sony & Irex which are very English-oriented.

You may visit www.jinke.com.cn, English page for details of the product.
Anyway, V3 is very steady and as i have been using sincve 4 years ago, i would say i am very senior to answer questions on ebookreader (7 years ago i started using ebookreader from Taiwan, equally steady and no problem except the formats supports are insufficient)

Well, do arrange with me and I can go down to JB or Singapore to share with you the product. Yes, it can cbe costly on travelling but glad to have a new USER (not only buyer).

Surely you will love it as me - after comparing my V8 to V3 (exactly just after receiving) my first word was WOW...so good..paper-like device and a pleasant to read.

Thanks

Hong
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #21
Hit&Run
Hit&Run is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle wannabe
cbell, thank you for that link! I really appreciate all the info.

Hong, thank you also. The jinke site is interesting. I'm in the process of trying to figure out which eReader would best suit my needs - or more specifically my location. I'm definitely headed towards buying one very soon; if I was in the US I'd have had one ages ago. I just think they are awesome and an eReader is at the top of my wishlist right now. My problem, apart from location, is that, despite being very enthusiastic about and open to new technologies and hardware, I'm rather dim when it comes to software and downloads, so the simpler the process from choosing a book to reading it, the better. That's a lot of the appeal of the Kindle (or it would be if I were in the US ). I'm intimidated by having to put something through a re-formatting process to make it readable: I just want to download a book file, plug/bluetooth/whatever to the eReader and go.

Anyway, I'm so glad I found this website and its forum: I'm really happy to have discovered a community of eReader enthusiasts and from what I've seen, people here are very helpful, encouraging and generous with advice and support.

HR
Hit&Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:13 AM   #22
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User

Hi HR:

Well, I am sure you will get one for yourself one day. 100% agree with you that an ebookreader should be "user friendly"...it is always Asia products (most of the time, proud to say that) meet this criteria. Hanlin V3 is strongly recommended for you based on the few reasons here:
- Very reliable (I used V8 for 4 years without any problem)
- User friendly - even without reading manual one can easily handle
- Supports almost ALL market popular formats (PDF, TXT, HTML, LIT, PRC, MOBI, CHM, ZIP, RAR - who else can support so many as we can get easily these books over the interenet, either free or purchase)
- Supports MAJORITY languages in the world
- Just like Apple concept - include only features for reading, NOT Xtra "rarely used" features just to attract MINORITY customer
Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #23
klteh
klteh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi hpkeong,

I will be back to Malaysia in a month time and intend to buy one e-book reader. What is the price of Hanlin V3 that you offer now? Where can I get it from you?
klteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:20 AM   #24
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User

Hi Teh:

We hv just started promoting at The Mines Chinese Book Fair from 14~23 of Nov and you are welcome to call me anytime or even email me.
0197570696 / hpkeong@streamyx.com.
Price = RM 1,399 nett including everything
(Battery, USB & Power Charger, Card Reader, 1 GB Sd Card, Exec. Leather Cover free during promotion period till End of Dec, 2008).

Thanks for your enquiry.

Hong