Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
Arcticreader
Arcticreader began at the beginning.

Hello from Alaska =D

I'm really glad to have found this site. Besides becoming a member I immediately added the link to my del.icio.us account.

These days I'm not the avid reader that I used to be. However the idea of a very portable digital reader is quite appealing particularly if I can purchase the books at a lower price. The way I view it is that the cost should be lowered due to the lack of printing and distribution. I hope that some smart publishers recognize that they can cut out the end retailer and sell electronic books directly to the reader. When they get to that point that a new book in e-book form will cost the reader 75% off the hardcover retail and readers discover that it is a no-brainer to go digital to save money then this will be a more widespread media for reader consumption.

That being said, does anyone know publishers who do sell ebooks directly to the public at considerable savings?
Arcticreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Arcticreader!

One such major publisher (if you like SciFi) is Baen Publishing. They have a fairly large selection at their Webscriptions store, including a good sized Free Library to get you good and hooked.

Their titles generally run $4~$6 each, and they offer monthly 'bundles' (called, "Webscriptions") of about 5 titles each for $15 (they usually drop to $10 after they're out a few months).

Their stuff is all DRM free, and available in about 5 different of formats, including good old RTF, so you can convert it to whatever you like, if one of their other formats doesn't already suit you.

Additionally, there's a company called FictionWise.com that sells some books (from such publishers as will agree to it, apparently) in a MultiFormat that doesn't have DRM on it. Which again means that if your preferred flavor isn't in the list (of 10), you'll be able to convert it fairly easily to whatever format you do want.

And I would be remiss if I didn't point out that there are a few authors floating around MobileRead who offer their work in DRM free formats. At the risk of leaving some out, here's a brief and not to be considered complete list (representing what I scraped up in five minutes, mostly because I remembered them off the top of my head):

http://www.stevejordanbooks.com/
http://www.zumayapublications.com/
http://www.booksforabuck.com/

I'll have to rely on the others to make themselves known -- I promise it's not deliberate on my part guys, I just can't remember everything at once. (sigh)

And I'm sure there are other sources that I'm just not aware of/remembering at the moment.

Check those out and see what you think.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead. I have read Steve Jordan's books and can highly recommend them. Steve is also a member here.

Also check out

http://www.gutenberg.org
http://manybooks.net
http://feedbooks.com

All are free sites and offer great selections of out of copyright along with donated books in a wide range of formats. FeedBooks also allows you to publish your own books for others to enjoy.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
And of course Sony Connect sells books for the Sony Reader, but most would not consider them discounted enough.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
... At the risk of leaving some out, ...

... And I'm sure there are other sources that I'm just not aware of/remembering at the moment ...
There is also Cory Doctorow, one of fmy favourite authors.
I believe he is also a mobileread member ;-)
He is also a big advocate of DRM-free formats.
Check
www.craphound.com
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
There is also Cory Doctorow, one of fmy favourite authors.
I believe he is also a mobileread member ;-)
He is also a big advocate of DRM-free formats.
Check
www.craphound.com
I've read 2 of his novels and both were really good.
I've added some of his works (they're under a CC license) on Feedbooks:
http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_author/93
  1. Down and out in the magic kingdom
  2. Eastern Standard Tribe
  3. Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town
  4. etc...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Alaska, eh? Sounds very cold Welcome on board!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote