Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Device: JuliusvonJD
scanned PDF difficult to handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
We can use k2pdfopt app to adjust any pdf for any e-ink or lcd screen out there (relatively quickly and easily).

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

e.g. if it takes 3-5 seconds to turn the pdf page on our tablet or e-ink, it is probably due to the pdf compression method used or big page size (that would require more memory or faster processor).
Transforming such pdf using default settings in k2pdfopt will allow our tablet or e-ink to turn pdf pages in a second again.

As an answer to the original question; which ereader can read scanned pdf like this?

Kindle DX can easily and quickly read those double sided scannes, using installed kindlepdfviewer thereon and adjusting the horizontal scroll to maximum (two joystick pushes per double page) or using two-column mode.

But it is really matter of minutes or seconds for cutting those double sided scannes into a single page pdf, using Briss, Pdfscissors, k2pdfopt, Acrobat etc. and additional 20-30 minutes per the average book for quick OCR-ing (exact pdf image) in Acrobat, Abbyy Finereader etc. so that we can use dictionary, search function, highlighting and all the pdf zooming options we want.
Willus

I won't buy a Kindle DX because I just bought this D2-912 pad, which is more than a reader, just as good and cheaper.So may be I have to live with the problem, because after all it only affects some of my books Having said this, may be you can comment on the following points:
1. OCR procedure: I gather it recognizes the fonts of the image- PDF page, then it it converts the page to an editable TEXT format to finally convert it back again to a fully functional EPUB .
If I am right, what is the TEXT format I have to convert the original PDF-IMage in the 1st step : HTML, RTF? What software does it?
2. Cropping/Trimming: I gather by trimming/cropping blank spaces, the size of the page, therefore the fonts will increase. This may fix the problem, but it may be extremely time-consuming with hundred of pages, unless there is a software which allows to set the parameters once for all and it does the cropping automatically, for the whole book. Is there any such software?

3.Regarding k2pdfopt: I glanced at your site, but I am not too sure what it does. Is it an OCR based conversion software allowing to convert the image-PDF to TEXT and then back to fully functional PDF or EPUB, fixing the slow reading/opening of the current image-based PDF? Or is it a cropping/trimming software.

Bottom line, I want to have either a fast PDF speed like for ALL the other books or an equally fully functional EPUB format, allowing to increase/decrease the fonts size and to control the other settings as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ittiandro
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #17
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
Willus

Bottom line, I want to have either a fast PDF speed like for ALL the other books or an equally fully functional EPUB format, allowing to increase/decrease the fonts size and to control the other settings as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ittiandro
k2pdfopt is application you are asking for, it is really easy to learn and use after you made it through the examples there and learn the basics.

You can also pose a questions to your problems on k2pdfopt thread if you don't find solution to your problems e.g. for very demanding magazine-like complex pdfs.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...144711&page=46

There is also pdf subforum here with all the answers you need about other software.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184

I'm not Willus (creator of k2pdfopt app) but I will try to help you in optimizing your pdf if you contact me with personal message.

Last edited by markom; 01-03-2014 at 09:57 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #18
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Device: JuliusvonJD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Try to "select" the text in a pdf reader. If you can select the text it should be convertible to a text e-pub. If won't allow you to select text, it is probably a "picture" of text stored as an image in the original pdf and the only way to do what you want is OCR it to get the text then make it an epub.
Yes, my e-reader( All-reader) in the pad allows to select the entire page and it has a feature to save it as TXT or HTML. I did try to save in both formats. Each time it says “ saved”, but I don’t know where it is saved. I don't think it replaced the original page because there is no change. THe page still has the original PDF image layout and does not allow any editing or change in the font size, etc. Supposing I did find the location and the page , what would be the next step?

Thanks

Ittiandro
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote