Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
skoobwoman
Enthusiast
skoobwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle DX/Astak Reader Pocket Pro/iPod Touch
iPDF--newbie very confused

I most wanted the iLiad for reading PDFs and then I started reading about the problems with it. Doing some research, I came across threads regarding iPDF and the full screen mode capability. But I'm finding all of the instructions on the threads very technical. I just want a program to make reading larger PDF pages easier. But I'm not very savvy about programming. Is there another program or a place where I can find clear instructions about the iPDF? I found the following post. But I don't have a clue what shell access is. I don't know what the contentlister referred to is. I'm unclear from the posts I've read whether I need to install the earlier version of iPDF first.

I really appreciate all of the work the developers have put into these programs. But I need a Dummies version!

To use this set of installers:

make sure you have upgraded to version 2.12 of the iliad software
make sure that you have requested shell access (again if you had it before with 2.11 and then upgraded to 2.12)
Unzip this set of installers somewhere, anywhere that you can access with the contentlister.
click on the entry for the version you want
click on "Run me to identify the current ipdf"

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Lauren
skoobwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Hi,

The contentlister is that screen of up to 6 items (e.g. books), your table of contents, if you like. It's what you see before you open a book or note.

To install a new version of ipdf the first thing you need to do is get shell access. Follow the first three steps here (that's up to point 3.4). Adam's instructions are detailed and may look intimidating, but this is because they are very clear and the process is actually quite simple.

Once you have shell access you should be able to use set of installers to install one of the alternative ipdf viewers. One thing you need to be careful about is getting the right version. If you have a recent (black) version 2 iliad, you need the installers for 2.12. If you have the (silver) Book Edition you need the installersfor 2.12.1.

Good luck!
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert