Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
gjmckain
gjmckain doesn't littergjmckain doesn't littergjmckain doesn't litter

Device: kindle touch
Copy calibre and files before hard disc change

Hi.All
My hard drive is about to fail on my lap top. I have over 5000 books of which I have changed authors names the right way around, changed tags,pasted missing summaries from the net and if the book is in a series have painstakingly numbered them in the correct series. ( About 500 titles )
I have all the books backed up. How do I back up calibre and all series info to then put onto a new hard drive.
gjmckain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another help?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
gjmckain
gjmckain doesn't littergjmckain doesn't littergjmckain doesn't litter

Device: kindle touch
Thanks. I will give it a go.
gjmckain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You can also copy your library to Dropbox. Makes it easy when you get a new computer.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
You can also copy your library to Dropbox. Makes it easy when you get a new computer.
Just make sure you don't bury it too deeply. There is a filepath length limit with Calibre. I wish I could remember how many (125 characters, MAYBE?), but I know I had to move my folders because I'd buried my Dropbox folder too deeply in MyDocuments, and a Calibre upgrade made the library unreadable from that location.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Just make sure you don't bury it too deeply. There is a filepath length limit with Calibre. I wish I could remember how many (125 characters, MAYBE?), but I know I had to move my folders because I'd buried my Dropbox folder too deeply in MyDocuments, and a Calibre upgrade made the library unreadable from that location.
It is actually an OS filepath limit. In Windows it is 260 characters in total (driver letter, folders, filename and extension). Putting the library in "My Documents" does reduce the length that calibre can use.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
@FizzyWater - you could try one of these

If you're using Vista or Windows 7 you could create a Symbolic Link to DropBox folder higher up the tree and then point Calibre at the Symbolic Link

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

If your using XP-SP2/3 you could create a Junction to the DropBox folder higher up the tree and then point Calibre at the Junction

http://daniele.livejournal.com/66210.html

Junctions on pre Service Pack 2 XP are tricky regarding deletions.

IMO on Vista, W7 and W8 Junctions are best avoided. They're a poor mans symlink, and will probably be deprecated to device mounts points only, maybe in W9 if they haven't done it in W8.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, series