Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #121
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Well, writing could certainly be one of our occupations. However, I think we'd be more valuable for either our knowledge, or our attention to detail. Any good writer worth his salt is A) good at research, B) resourceful, C) highly attentive to detail (you have to be in order to nail down all those typos. lol.), and even D) a venerable bastion of knowledge, however limited the topic matter may be. Then again, we may simply be employed as scribes for those needing documentation of things.

Another skill or occupation we may end up filling is one that was lost a long time ago, but is preserved in some small degree at Ren Fests, and that's the job of the traveling story teller. I've seen information on these guys. They existed on every continent and in every region in the past, and they were used to carry around lore, and legends, tell stories, share news from far away places, and just generally entertain people. Sorta like a traveling mistral, only with stories rather than songs. (although I could probably sing too as I can carry a pretty good tune. lol.)
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #122
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
This being the Writer's Corner, I thought I'd ask: Where do we fit in? Can anyone see a place for writers in a post apocalyptic world? Maybe fiction writers have to turn to non-fiction, journal keepers of the struggle to survive. How much new literary work is such a world really going to need or want?
Storytellers and lorekeepers will always be valuable; writers whose skills are limited to books-on-paper (or books-on-pixels) will be in much less demand.

In a society with a lot less printing available, writers who can compose in song or verse will have a much easier time finding an audience; there's a reason the ancient sagas are written as poetry--because scansion and rhyme patterns let you memorize longer stretches than plain text.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #123
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
This being the Writer's Corner, I thought I'd ask: Where do we fit in? Can anyone see a place for writers in a post apocalyptic world? Maybe fiction writers have to turn to non-fiction, journal keepers of the struggle to survive. How much new literary work is such a world really going to need or want?
As keepers of knowledge and information. You'd become librarians and chroniclers, keeping history and records, ledgers and population charts. And anything else that needs to be preserved for future generations.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #124
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Yes, the traveling story teller - writing as a performance art. It would certainly put the pressure on your marketing skills to know that your next meal may depend on them. I can't sing worth a damn (or maybe that's exactly what's worth ), but I did used to enjoy writing poetry when I was younger (maybe I should dig it up and see how much I cringe now ).

I suspect that people other than fiction writers may be better as librarians and journal keepers, too much imagination's probably not a good idea in those jobs. Same thing with carrying news from place to place (thinking here of The Postman by David Brin). I can't even remember to tell my wife who rang while she was out, how am I going to remember what happened in the last village I was at? ... I could make up a story about it, I suppose that might work. My paid work is with computers, so unless we get the power on pretty quick I may not be much use to anyone ... maybe it's time to go out and learn a trade.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #125
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
My paid work is with computers, so unless we get the power on pretty quick I may not be much use to anyone ... maybe it's time to go out and learn a trade.

Yea, same boat here on that one! Gonna stock pile guns/ammo instead.. that way I can hire myself out as a guard for people that can grow/produce food.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #126
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I actually grew up as a farm kid, so if TSHTF, I'd be able to go right back to what I did as a kid growing up. But I could also be useful as a handyman, since being a farmer required you to be a jack of all trades in order to keep things running and also build things you needed around the farm. In the end I got quite good at building and repairing things, so I know that skill would be worth something. Another thing I got good at was building and repairing without the availability of a welder. So I can screw, bolt, and glue together just about anything and make it better than new in some cases.

As for the memory problems that GMW mentioned, a simple pattern system of memorization will do the job to get over that. As for those who chronicle and record history, a strong attention to detail and accuracy of events would be highly important. That's what made being a scribe in the old days such a lucrative career. With limited literacy, anyone who could write and do it well always had work. I think in the end you'd see a lot of secretaries with dictation skills initially fill the job of scribes as they'd already have all the needed skills ready to go. Who would come after them though is anybody's guess.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #127
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Hmm, interesting. Prepper Central brought up an interesting topic today that relates to the whole "who will live, and who will die" question of disaster survive. That question is, of course, physical and mental wellness. That right there I think would be a huge element in a "thinning of the herd" so to speak. IE, all the unhealthy, overweight (like me, sadly), and even crippled or disabled people (I think that part was mentioned already to some degree) would have a hard time surviving.

We already know the handicapped people would be at a huge disadvantage in a disaster survival situation. But what about all the chair/couch/desk potatoes out there? Our modern society isn't exactly the epitome of physical and mental health. Just a drive down the street is proof enough of that. What do you guys think? Even though hollywood (and a number of survival writers) haven't touched on this too much, I know it'd be a big deciding factor. Sure, a large portion of survival falls to just plain old dumb luck, and being in the right place at the right time (or away from the wrong places) combined with some preparations (to a much lesser degree), but ultimately it's how fit you are. As he mentioned, it doesn't help to be prepared for anything only to drop dead 15 minutes after the disaster starts. So that would be a huge deciding factor too in who would survive Stage 1.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #128
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Sure, a large portion of survival falls to just plain old dumb luck, and being in the right place at the right time (or away from the wrong places) combined with some preparations (to a much lesser degree), but ultimately it's how fit you are. As he mentioned, it doesn't help to be prepared for anything only to drop dead 15 minutes after the disaster starts. So that would be a huge deciding factor too in who would survive Stage 1.
It's not just about physical fitness either. It doesn't matter how great shape the body is in if a person's mind shuts down in despair after watching their spouse and children die right in front of them.

That's another thing that neither Hollywood or writers seem to touch on; that one important reason a large part of the survivors are military, ex-military, or some kind of athlete, isn't only because they're in great physical shape and good health. It's also because they are trained to mentally face and overcome adversity of any kind, and will fight on long past the point where a coddled gym bunny who never actually had anything bad happen to her before, would give up.

And a physically weaker person could possibly survive on sheer stubborn will where a physically stronger but mentally weaker person might not.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #129
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Totally agreed. Also, conquering and controlling your fear in a disaster situation is key too. The more fearful or overpowered by fear you are the less likely you'll make good, logical decisions that may save your life. Fear has a habit of clouding judgment. But if you can control it, you'll be able to keep the thinking process as clear as possible.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #130
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That would be once place where I would have an advantage, my entire family and I are in freestyle MMA karate and will be black belts come November. So we have the physical fitness and the understanding how to defend ourselves at least.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #131
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
That would be once place where I would have an advantage, my entire family and I are in freestyle MMA karate and will be black belts come November. So we have the physical fitness and the understanding how to defend ourselves at least.
I am an outstanding cook. We should team up!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #132
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
[...] But what about all the chair/couch/desk potatoes out there? Our modern society isn't exactly the epitome of physical and mental health. Just a drive down the street is proof enough of that. What do you guys think? Even though hollywood (and a number of survival writers) haven't touched on this too much, I know it'd be a big deciding factor. Sure, a large portion of survival falls to just plain old dumb luck, and being in the right place at the right time (or away from the wrong places) combined with some preparations (to a much lesser degree), but ultimately it's how fit you are. As he mentioned, it doesn't help to be prepared for anything only to drop dead 15 minutes after the disaster starts. So that would be a huge deciding factor too in who would survive Stage 1.
I suspect ScaleyFreak is right in emphasising the importance of mental strength over physical strength, although actual physical and mental disability is likely to stack the cards against you.

There was a chapter in The Stand (by Stephen King) about some of life's less fit (druggies etc) that had survived the flu only to die very stupid deaths in the days that followed. Several of the scenes concluded with "No great loss." One of the main characters in that book, Harold, starts out far from fit, but slims down as the story progresses. Except perhaps the hugely obese, it can be surprising how quickly the body can rebuild its health when conditions improve. In most of the situations I've seen described in books there are periods after the disaster when surviving on what's left behind remains possible, and this does offer the chance for people to learn and improve before fitness become more critical. (Though how much this reflects reality, versus the usual "journey" that characters must go through in a story, is not obvious.)

More than anything else I think surviving Stage 1 is down to luck. Being prepared and fit and healthy might get you so far, but stupid things happen to all of us at some time, and in the period following a disaster I suspect stupid things (or things that seem stupid when viewed from the outside) are likely to play a very big part. Where real fitness of mind or body are likely to play a bigger part is in longer term survival.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #133
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Well, if you guys are that well trained, you'd do good in hand to hand combat. But I spent time in the army and I've seen grown men laying in the bottom of foxholes in the fetal position in the middle of a firefight. Extremely well trained men at that. The guys who did best in those situations though were the ones who were best able to control their fear. At least that's been my experience. Reality might bear out differently though.
Quote:
I suspect ScaleyFreak is right in emphasising the importance of mental strength over physical strength, although actual physical and mental disability is likely to stack the cards against you.
More than anything else I think surviving Stage 1 is down to luck. Being prepared and fit and healthy might get you so far, but stupid things happen to all of us at some time, and in the period following a disaster I suspect stupid things (or things that seem stupid when viewed from the outside) are likely to play a very big part. Where real fitness of mind or body are likely to play a bigger part is in longer term survival.
Yeah, I agree with this. I've seen some things happen in life that just stun me, people walking away from stuff that should have left them as a red smear on the ground, and others dying of things that in no way should have been able to kill them. Case in point. They had a show on last year about a "what-if" scenario where 1/6th of the world's population were wiped out by a super virus. In general the characters didn't handle things well for a large portion of the show, but still managed to not only survive the bug, but also the aftermath. However, despite doing really good throughout the entire disaster, the dad ended up dying from an infection he got after nicking his finger while repairing the roof. In a way it's the ultimate case of irony. Survive WW3 and then die of a stupid paper cut.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #134
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Well, if you guys are that well trained, you'd do good in hand to hand combat. But I spent time in the army and I've seen grown men laying in the bottom of foxholes in the fetal position in the middle of a firefight. Extremely well trained men at that. The guys who did best in those situations though were the ones who were best able to control their fear. At least that's been my experience. Reality might bear out differently though..

No way to know till it happens, and I rather not find out But there is some of that I am sure.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #135
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedrich519 View Post
- His spammy post has been deleted - MODERATOR
Basic punctuation & other errors on the first page don't inspire me to keep reading. Authors who don't know how to punctuate dialogue need to hire editors.

Quote:
“Good morning, sir” the A.I. sprang to life and spoke in a male, British voice.
“What do you have for me this morning?”
“No relevant messages received during the night. Your first vidconference is at 9 o’clock with Director Mills, when I contacted him last night to confirm the meeting; he indicated to me that he will be reporting on the recovery progress at the Atlanta factory.”
“Did he sound positive about it or like he wasn’t looked forward to it?”
“Based on his vocal patterns and word choices, I would say he his report will be positive.”
“Or complete bullshit” Howard muttered.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-11-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote