Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Thomas Covenant Novels - Stephen Donaldson

Many years ago ... No not a cheesey Novel ...

I read some of the Thomas Covenant Novels by Stephen Donaldson and I'd rather like to re-read them and read the ones I missed,

Have found a very old thread on this site, where it appears they were not yet available as eBooks,

Has this changed ? are they now available in kindle or ePub format ? and if so where ?

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As far as I know, the first six books are still not available as ebooks anywhere.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
As far as I know, the first six books are still not available as ebooks anywhere.
LEGALLY anyways.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Yeah sort of thought that was the case, and I prefer to stay Legal ... However tempting LOL !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't think so, but I loved those books!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I would snap them up if they came out digitally (legally). I want to re-read them and then read the final trilogy.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I would snap them up if they came out digitally (legally). I want to re-read them and then read the final trilogy.
I'm a huge fan of the originals. The latest chronicles (which is four books) has disappointed me greatly. He should have left the series alone. It already had a good ending.

Sometimes you can't go back home.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Stephen R. Donaldson is a really good writer...but is it me or does he seems to have an inordinate amount of rape and misogynistic themes through his work? THe few books i've read of his (The Real Story, Forbidden Knowledge, The Mordent's Need, and Lord Foul's Bane)...there is this underlying misogynistic theme that persists...it's just a little off putting.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I can't say the term misogyny ever occurred to me while reading any of his books. Yes, there are rapes, but none of the victims are ever, as far as I can recall, portrayed as deserving of their mistreatment, or as having brought it on themselves. On the contrary, the perpetrators are portrayed as evil or amoral bastards (or in the case of Thomas Covenant, a deeply dysfunctional and thoroughly broken man), placing the blame exactly where it ought to rest. So no, for me it doesn't tick any of the boxes which would indicate misogyny.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
I can't say the term misogyny ever occurred to me while reading any of his books.
Perhaps misogynistic is too strong a word and probably even the wrong word in regards to the author. But when I read The Real Story, I couldn't help feeling that i was subjected to one man's utter depravity against one woman, and for no other reason than the writer wanted it that way. An entire book filled with constant rape and physical abuse...I felt similarly when I read Stieg Larsen's Men Who Hate Women (translated into the much softer and slicker sounding The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo), and i found myself wondering is this the author making a thematic point about how our culture allows men to thoroughly objectify women to the point where they become nothing more than objects of not only of desire...or was i seeing something dark seeping out of the unconscious mind of the writer. Perhaps a combination of both. Who can say for sure, i suppose.

As a writer myself, I can't help but notice certain recurring themes and elements appear throughout my work whether i like it or not, and which inevitably become part of the DNA of the book itself, like the cement between the bricks, or the nail in the coffin, and you can't remove it without the whole thing coming apart.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I see what you're saying, at least sort of, but I can't really see the problem. The last thing I want as a reader is a world where all books shy away from portraying the world, or a world, the way it all too often is; where all stories are *shudder* "motivational", have clear-cut happy endings and where evil always receives its just deserts.

Whether the evil, malice or brutality in a book emerges from something brewing in the dark recesses of the authors mind, or just from his or her imagination, is something I've never given a thought. Partly because it would be merely baseless supposition on my part and partly because it really isn't my business to know.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote