Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 AM   #46
RainmanP
RainmanP has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RainmanP has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RainmanP has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle for iPhone
I will try to answer some questions posters have asked.

PDF - have not tried pdf, but I will do so.

Ebook reader - I would say it is a GREAT ebook reader. It comes with Aldiko, which, if you have not tried it is a really good ebook reader. I also installed Kindle for Android on it and retrieved a couple of books from my Kindle Archive. Works flawlessly. Since it uses these two apps I don't see why it would not install any others you might choose to try.

Richardf - Remove app - Go to Settings>Applications, select the app, and you should have the option to uninstal

YouTube and Netflix - Plays YouTube fine. As far as I know, there is not Netflix player for Android. No Hulu either because, if I understand corrently, Flash video requires Android 2.2. I have not yet seen confirmation whether Flash is actually working on 2.2 yet or not since it is so new. I admit I have not been checking.

HTC or other OS - I don't know if that would work or not. Some firmware has been tweaked for specific devices. There are other hacks and alternative firmware. Slatedroid has a forum for this device and similar ones. One poster over there seems intent on working with this device and has suggested some firmware/ROM.

External battery - if you have an external battery that has the right tip it will work. I have an Energizer XPal XP8000 that came with the right tip, and it works fine. I tried it yesterday.

So far the only real shortcomings I have found with this device are the weak wifi and relatively short battery life. No worse than older laptops, I guess - 1.5-2 hours.
RainmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #47
Cobb
Cobb began at the beginning.

Device: itouch 1st gen
Thanks. Although ipod has a netflix app, you can go to their website and stream from there too. I too would use the network sites to catch missed tv shows. Anyway you can go to nbc, abc, cbs, etc and try watching an episode of anything would be great.

I am guessing airplane mode turns off the wifi radio.

Great, I have one of those battery packs too and a bag of adapters, woohoo. Now if it will just hurry up and get here.
Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #48
RainmanP
RainmanP has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RainmanP has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RainmanP has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I will try to answer some questions posters have asked.

PDF - have not tried pdf, but I will do so.

Ebook reader - I would say it makes a great ebook reader. It comes with Aldiko, which, if you have not tried it is a really good ebook reader. I also installed Kindle for Android on it and retrieved a couple of books from my Kindle Archive. Works flawlessly. Since it uses these two apps I don't see why it would not install any others you might choose to try.

To remove an app - Go to Settings>Applications, select the app, and you should have the option to uninstal

Microphone - there is a microphone on the top edge toward the right side.

Camera is front-facing, ie, faces user, so you can video chat.

YouTube and Netflix - Plays YouTube fine. As far as I know, there is not Netflix player for Android. No Hulu either because, if I understand corrently, Flash video requires Android 2.2. I have not yet seen confirmation whether Flash is actually working on 2.2 yet or not since it is so new. I admit I have not been checking.

HTC or other OS - I don't know if that would work or not. Some firmware has been tweaked for specific devices. There are other hacks and alternative firmware. Slatedroid has a forum for this device and similar ones. One poster over there seems intent on working with this device and has suggested some firmware/ROM.

External battery - if you have an external battery that has the right tip it will work. I have an Energizer XPal XP8000 that came with the right tip, and it works fine. I tried it yesterday.

Weak wifi update - today I was able to log on to the free wifi at the local public library.

So far the only real shortcomings I have found with this device are the weak wifi and relatively short battery life. No worse than older laptops, I guess - 1.5-2 hours.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:36 AM   #49
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Device: 7015A, CM738A, 7015, M150, A7, A32, Next3, PDN 7"/9", GT78, ePad
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardf View Post
Here it is Tuesday morning and still waiting for it. TIPSTIR sounds like my new best friend for tweaking.
Thanks for saying that! I do try!
tipstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:57 AM   #50
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardf View Post
Tipstir- What is the cost on the Coby? Similar features? The test on both will be interesting.
Coby was listed at $199.99 on HSN but they had 4x flex payments of $49 plus shipping So it cost me $63 to get by this past Tuesday.
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #51
JohnK11
JohnK11 began at the beginning.

Device: Maylong, Aluratek
Maylong IS NOW $129 !!!
Elonex 7"(1.6) and 10"(2.1!!!) Android tablet in UK Toys'R'Us.

UK Toys'R'Us (will the US one be far behind ??) is selling
Elonex Android tablets in 2 versions

7" Android 1.6 (sounds just like the Maylong, 90 pounds (about $143)
about $15 more than Walgreen's current $129 asking price
--no longer $99 since this morning)

10" Android 2.1 !!! (150 pounds, or $240) weights 1-1/2 pound.
If the battery life is close to 10+ hours, and its performance
and reliability are as decent as the Maylong, and good access
to app stores, this could be a worthy competitor to ipad,
especially if discounted to below $200.

Apple, watch out !!!
JohnK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #52
JohnK11

Re : Elonex 10" Android 2.1 tablet review--not quite the ipad
killer I was hoping for

Here's a review of the UK Elonex 10" Android 2.1 tablet--

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...s/laptops-and-

netbooks/elonex-etouch-1000et-903435/review?src=rss&attr=reviewpc

http://computing-news.mattters.com/

(I am quite sad that there is no review of the Maylong by respectable
US computer sources--and yet this UK product, just announced, has a
decent review !!! what's happening to the US computer news sources ??)

with 3 hours batter life (and less with wifi), not quite the ipad
killer I was hoping for. It does have a 1GHz ARM11 processor, but the
response is not too good. I agree with the reviewer in that

Although sceptical at first, it's important to see the eTouch
1000ET for what it is, and while the build quality, battery life
and some aspects of usability leave quite a bit to be desired,
at this price it is hard to complain.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #53
JohnK11

Finally a mention (outdated, since the $99 price is now $129) in a respectable Computer news source--zdnet (still none in PCmag.com)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/.../4185#comments
Old 10-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #54
spkmn
spkmn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
How is the device?
spkmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #55
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

I've been on the net since 1989 BB with PKware, 1990 well Prodigy then 1991 AOL didn't get on internet since 1995. So my reviews on stuff is pretty good I use to send in reviews to the Mags for Windows and such. I have the Maylong M-150 on order, but suppose to be shipped out. Now 3 days and counting. I am planning on doing a full review on it. Still working on the Coby KYROS review here The issue with the KYROS they really don't give you any software and the icons and fonts are way to huge. I have to use third party software to fix that. That should have been fixed prior to sending out to customers.

Last edited by tipstir; 10-29-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #56
Kelvin
Kelvin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Tipstirs. Someone over XDA said he successfully rooted the Maylong with your EPAD ROM "EPAD 256M and 128M 1.9_88 rooted v0.3 WORKING MARKET FROM FLASH". Have you tried it? Btw, you are a genius.
Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #57
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
Tipstirs. Someone over XDA said he successfully rooted the Maylong with your EPAD ROM "EPAD 256M and 128M 1.9_88 rooted v0.3 WORKING MARKET FROM FLASH". Have you tried it? Btw, you are a genius.
I can't take credit for that ROM, Credit needs to go to Russian guy screen name: HidePerso I just let the world know about the ROM. But thanks for letting me that ROM can work on it. I'll pass that info to others who have Maylong M-150
Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #58
richardf
richardf began at the beginning.

Device: Maylong M-150
I did a factory reset to see what happens and it worked. Reset did not change the content of the microSD. This is a great little machine but there sure needs to be more instructions.

Remove folders how?
Purpose of eyeball?
Factory reset only visible in e-reader orentation.
Set up multiple email icons?
Delete emails without opening?
richardf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #59
RainmanP

richardf,
If you press and hold a folder I believe you should get a file management popup with the usual Cut, Copy, Delete. You may have to scroll to see Delete.

Press the eyeball icon to produce a screen shot. When you open File Browser you will see some pink file icons named by date. Tap to open and view the screen shot.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #60
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

It's best to have the capture dumps save to the SD card instead of the default internal storage. Same feature is on ePad below is taken from capture save.