Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
kksdragons
Bibliophile
kksdragons began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad
Unhappy Sigil keeps crashing

I'm on Windows 7-64 and have been using Sigil for several years now with no problems.

I'm now editing an epub created from a PDF that's over 1,100 pages. Everything was fine until recently when it started crashing every few minutes.

I've tried several versions of Sigil now and they all seem to crash.

Is there a size limit on epubs you can work on in Sigil before it starts crashing? Do I need to split the file? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance for any help!
kksdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kksdragons View Post
I'm on Windows 7-64 and have been using Sigil for several years now with no problems.

I'm now editing an epub created from a PDF that's over 1,100 pages. Everything was fine until recently when it started crashing every few minutes.

I've tried several versions of Sigil now and they all seem to crash.

Is there a size limit on epubs you can work on in Sigil before it starts crashing? Do I need to split the file? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance for any help!
I have not run into a book too big.
How many section(files) does it have now?

does the original EPUB validate?

Frequent saves are in order.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
kksdragons
Bibliophile

Thanks for replying!

It has about 80 html files and a lot of graphics generated during the scanning process that look like smeared pages. I honestly can't remember if it validated originally but I have Sigil set to validate w/flight crew every time I save (in hopes this somewhat idiot proofs what I'm trying to do :P).

After my original post, I DID go back in and delete all those crummy graphics and that seems to have helped. It hasn't crashed since.

Ergo, there must be some sort of size limit so, as I continue, I should probably figure out how to split the file. I think it's too late to split it in Calibre now but I'll probably do that next time I come up against a really large file!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for replying!

It has about 80 html files and a lot of graphics generated during the scanning process that look like smeared pages. I honestly can't remember if it validated originally but I have Sigil set to validate w/flight crew every time I save (in hopes this somewhat idiot proofs what I'm trying to do :P).

After my original post, I DID go back in and delete all those crummy graphics and that seems to have helped. It hasn't crashed since.

Ergo, there must be some sort of size limit so, as I continue, I should probably figure out how to split the file. I think it's too late to split it in Calibre now but I'll probably do that next time I come up against a really large file!
I have worked with almost 200 files before without problem.

Validate with W3C before if you are having problems.
Damaged images can cause problems (and Validate will NOT find those), you would need to explode a COPY and use image tools to validate, then repair the master copy
Old 11-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Thanks for replying!

Having too big of an html file might cause crashes too, if so, there is an option to split the file at the cursor.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
It has about 80 html files and a lot of graphics generated during the scanning process that look like smeared pages.
May I ask what the process was to go from PDF -> EPUB? (This is the area where I do most of my work, I have converted ~180 books so far).

I explained and posted a rough outline of most of my OCR methods (I use Finereader + Sigil) in this topic: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223817

Quote:
I honestly can't remember if it validated originally but I have Sigil set to validate w/flight crew every time I save (in hopes this somewhat idiot proofs what I'm trying to do :P).
Ugh... Validating the entire book definitely makes Sigil chug when you are on such a large file.

I would recommend turning off the validate on Save, and keeping the Preview window open instead (View - Preview (F10)):

http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...t/preview.html

If you have the Preview window open while you are coding, you will see all of the changes in real time. If you make a mistake in the code, the Preview window will go bonkers and tell you (plus you can see the changes as you make them).

Quote:
Could have been a corrupt image. Usually I try to take care of all of that at the PDF cleaning + OCR stage, so that crap never even makes it into the EPUB files.

What you want to do is try to minimize as many errors as possible at the OCR stage, so you will focus almost fully on just tweaking/combining/moving things around in Sigil... and not having to worry so much about massive amounts of typos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have not run into a book too big.
Heh.. heh... There are a few out there that make Sigil drop to its knees. Although I haven't had one that made Sigil crash on very often... just take forever to open.

Quote:
Frequent saves are in order.
Yes, ALWAYS a good idea to save multiple versions of the EPUB as you work on it.

I tend to save a new version after every "round" of changes (I added in all the blockquotes, SAVE, I added in headers, SAVE, I added alignment, SAVE, I fixed footnotes, SAVE.). In a 1000+ page book..... I would probably save new versions after every few chapters.

Quote:
I'm now editing an epub created from a PDF that's over 1,100 pages.
May I ask what the book is? That is a mighty large book... and let me warn you beforehand, converting a book this large does become QUITE the daunting task. It feels like you barely make any progress after you have been working on it for HOURS, and really sucks the morale right out of you.

I tend to take a break and work on other smaller/easier conversion projects in between, just to feel like I am making some sort of progress.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

On it's Knees is familiar.

Barely lift its head happens, but if you just let it go: 'It's Alive' in the end.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
kksdragons
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Having too big of an html file might cause crashes too, if so, there is an option to split the file at the cursor.
I don't think the individual files are too big but I have found that split the file very handy on some projects.

Guess I need to make a copy of the file so I have two to delete parts from. That said, it's been behaving nicely since I deleted all the garbage image files.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
kksdragons
Bibliophile

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
May I ask what the process was to go from PDF -> EPUB? (This is the area where I do most of my work, I have converted ~180 books so far).

I explained and posted a rough outline of most of my OCR methods (I use Finereader + Sigil) in this topic: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223817
Great thread! I've bookmarked it. PDF->epub is via Calibre (I know the PDF mantra) or Mobipocket. Still not optimal but I got what I got.

Quote:
I would recommend turning off the validate on Save, and keeping the Preview window open instead (View - Preview (F10)):

If you have the Preview window open while you are coding, you will see all of the changes in real time. If you make a mistake in the code, the Preview window will go bonkers and tell you (plus you can see the changes as you make them).
I do use the Preview window and definitely get the bonkers a lot. That's why I have it validate each time. Doesn't take that much longer. This is a rather complicated doc with lots of different lists, font formats, etc. (I'll upload the PDF doc for you to see.)

Quote:
Could have been a corrupt image. Usually I try to take care of all of that at the PDF cleaning + OCR stage, so that crap never even makes it into the EPUB files.
Probably a LOT of corrupt images! Not sure how to deal with that other than deleting them in Sigil (or tweaking in Adobe and re-inserting them).

Quote:
May I ask what the book is? That is a mighty large book... and let me warn you beforehand, converting a book this large does become QUITE the daunting task. It feels like you barely make any progress after you have been working on it for HOURS, and really sucks the morale right out of you.
Will get you a copy... I'm doing it strictly for myself but it's probably not Kosher. Hours? Can you say weeks and I'm just nearing the middle point of the first (of two) books. I feel my progress each time I start a new subject/chapter!

Great input Tex2002as!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
kksdragons
Bibliophile

Quote:
Validate with W3C before if you are having problems.
Damaged images can cause problems (and Validate will NOT find those), you would need to explode a COPY and use image tools to validate, then repair the master copy
How do you do this? I'm familiar working with graphics but "explode?"
Old 11-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
How do you do this? I'm familiar working with graphics but "explode?"
Explode is a 'Tweak EPUB' term for Unzip (not all files inside are compressed)/disassemble an EPUB
Old 11-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
epubs are zip files. Unzip them and work on the images and put them back. Add them (you can do this in one operation) in Sigil, then place them back one by one in Sigil.

From PDF, I usually go Mobipocket Creator, which creates an html file which can be loaded into Sigil along with the images. Not so many extra calibre classes etc. that way.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If your starting point is PDF, the results would be much better if you did OCR. A normal, straightforward textbook of that size would take me around 10-12 hours I guess. More if there are graphics or special things in it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I don't think the individual files are too big but I have found that split the file very handy on some projects.

Guess I need to make a copy of the file so I have two to delete parts from. That said, it's been behaving nicely since I deleted all the garbage image files.
I don't know if it would, as I have never had one big enough to do that. What I do know is a big file will take REALLY long to load, which I feel blessed in saying is the worst Sigil experience I've had (yet.) (I hope I haven't just cursed myself.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
kksdragons
Bibliophile

Quote:
Explode is a 'Tweak EPUB' term for Unzip (not all files inside are compressed)/disassemble an EPUB
Duh. I knew that, theducks.