Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 02:09 AM   #61
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
They didn't say "no need to change anything". They said "no need to race to the bottom price". We know that they and Amazon bought up the first half year of the Pearl production, do you think Sony is going to just give up that investment?
They were asked what are they going to do about Amazon's move which is more than just dropping prices. Amazon released new devices.
Sony didn't even mention any new devices coming on the horizon.
WTR giving up the investment, they will be loosing that investment one way or the other. If they do not come up with something new soon they will be loosing the market (there goes the investment). On the other hand they are cashed up enough to play Amazon's game.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I look forward to seeing what Sony does with the new models.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 AM   #63
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I look forward to seeing what Sony does with the new models.
Ditto. If I knew with any degree of certainty that Sony will be launching a new e-reader model by the year's end, I would be happy to wait it out.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #64
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am waiting for it too, but I don't hold my breath. I am afraid they will use the same touch screen and all the "glaring issues" are going to stay, unfortunately
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #65
nwhitfield
Enthusiast
nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I'm not quite sure what, if anything, can be inferred from this news, but I was speaking to the Waterstones PR team today, regarding a story I've been writing up for Register Hardware (probably online tomorrow), and they tell me that they're reducing the price of the PRS-300 to £99 tomorrow (Tues, 10th August).

Whether that's simply a tactic to counter the Kindle, or to clear out in advance of a new model, I have no idea. It's certainly interesting, and gets a branded reader below the £100 mark for the first time, I think.
nwhitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #66
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhitfield View Post
I'm not quite sure what, if anything, can be inferred from this news, but I was speaking to the Waterstones PR team today, regarding a story I've been writing up for Register Hardware (probably online tomorrow), and they tell me that they're reducing the price of the PRS-300 to £99 tomorrow (Tues, 10th August).

Whether that's simply a tactic to counter the Kindle, or to clear out in advance of a new model, I have no idea. It's certainly interesting, and gets a branded reader below the £100 mark for the first time, I think.
That's pretty funny, coming only about a week after their Kindle-response statement. I'm sure it is just one of those crazy coincidences.

Well, I doubt anyone will hold it against Sony and insist that they raise the price back to where it was. Not even Sony shareholders...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #67
nwhitfield
Enthusiast
nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
To be clear, that's Waterstones dropping the price of the Reader, not Sony themselves, to the best of my knowledge. They'll be selling it for about £60 less than Sony Centres, which is a substantial difference, unless Sony drop their own prices at the same time.
nwhitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #68
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhitfield View Post
To be clear, that's Waterstones dropping the price of the Reader, not Sony themselves, to the best of my knowledge. They'll be selling it for about £60 less than Sony Centres, which is a substantial difference, unless Sony drop their own prices at the same time.
Ok, that makes sense. Guess we'll have to wait to see what Sony does with their pricing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #69
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Oh Sony!! That's right, and netbooks are a "race to the bottom". Tell us another one
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #70
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
As noted above, from today in the UK, the Sony Pocket Edition is priced £10 cheaper than the new Kindle, at £99 at Waterstone's:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...ks/4294964587/

So at least one Sony reseller is chasing the cheapest eReader title. The others will presumably have to follow suit in the UK.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #71
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I pretty much agree, Sony just doesn't have the 'mindshare' that Amazon and Apple have. I don't know how many times i have been reading on my PRS300 in public and have been asked if that was a Kindle or even an iPad! People have no idea what these devices look like, but they know they exist.

eReading, in general, is thought of by the consumer as something he or she might want to do in the future, but the public isn't even curious enough at this point to actually find out what the devices look like.
- Is that a Kindle?

I do actually have a Kindle now and the Sony has been relegated to the "to be sold at some stage when I get around to taking the photos' pile - but in the year I had my Sony, I'd get asked that all the time
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #72
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I have feeling that Sony is focusing on Japan this year... They announced a new reader, aimed at the japanese market in May, due out in December. I wish they would release it worldwide.... I am curious about the features, though.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #73
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
They announced a new reader, aimed at the japanese market in May...
Tell us more...never heard about a new reader from Sony
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #74
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Here is the link to the article I found, I have no idea how reliable they are, but the article gives Reuter as a source, so there is some substance in it

Last edited by mikaelalind; 08-10-2010 at 02:59 PM.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #75
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
The above link doesn't work for me (http in it twice). Here's the article:

http://inhabitat.com/2010/05/27/sony...pple-in-japan/

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote