Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #106
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'll have to try this on mine. Ko1
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #107
ringerc
Enthusiast
ringerc is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo
Changing the Kobo's boot image

This one is a bit riskier than most - if you mess it up, your Kobo won't start up and can't even be factory reset. To be safe you have to open your Kobo up to back up the microSD card before doing this in case something goes wrong, so it's not exactly trivial. There's no guarantee you won't break the Kobo's bezel while opening it up to back up the SD card. Of course, anything like this is likely to void your warranty, so if you mess up you'll be on on your own.

It's fun, though.

How to change your Kobo's boot-up screen

(an improvement to the Kobo's upgrade scripts that checked the maximum length of the boot splash image would make this process a lot safer. Right now, it just writes whatever you give it, and if that happens to overwrite the kernel image later in memory ... whoops!).
ringerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 AM   #108
ringerc
Enthusiast

Getting telnet and ftp access to the kobo wifi

It turns out it's also rather easy to get the kobo wifi to offer a telnet and ftp service, so you can log into it and explore it easily. Unlike the boot splash screen change it's a pretty safe modification to the device.

http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/2011/...s-to-kobo.html

This should make it easier to disk-image your Kobo, making further fiddling a safer and easier affair. Instructions to come on that.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #109
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Well done ringerc! Love the telnet tip.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #110
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
ringerc,
This is awesome. =]

I'm trying to make a disk image.
I killed nickel and mounted the filesystems.
When I try the netcast command I get "-sh: nc: not found".
I am running under Windows but that shouldn't effect commands run on the Kobo.

I'm running 1.7.4.

I'll let you know how writing it to an SD card goes.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 12:50 AM   #111
ringerc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
When I try the netcat command I get "-sh: nc: not found".
I am running under Windows but that shouldn't effect commands run on the Kobo.
No, it shouldn't. You typed 'nc' (no quotes) in all lower case? It looks like it from the error you quoted, but I can't know if you copied & pasted that directly or transcribed it. Anyway, `nc' on my Kobo with 1.7.4 is /usr/bin/nc which should be on your PATH and should work, so I'm a bit confused about what's going on here. You can alternately invoke it as:

/bin/busybox nc

and see if that works.
[/QUOTE]
Old 01-31-2011, 02:27 AM   #112
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Yep, busybox takes to handle zillion commands you already
know in linux. Nc is correct name. I assume it is not the sa-
me as old school netcat. As true so far, busybox has to be
in the path. "Nc" is just a flag to it.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #113
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
There's no nc in /usr/bin on my Kobo.
But busybox does handle it so at least I can make nc work now.

Regardless, I tried the other version (piped dd output through gzip) and it worked great. For anyone trying it, the output gets to be a little over 600MB.

So I (*carefully*) updated my boot image. And it's awesome. Thanks again!
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #114
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Space could be wider if one takes sd cart as a storage place.
Since it is just a matter of mounting file system, I assume it
to be not too difficult to format the card to have ext2/3 first.
Then to mount it to some place on the file system. Latter, all
new binaries or whatever could be put there with simlinks on
the device flash.
However, I'd rather have rsync to manage directories.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #115
aaabbb
aaabbb began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
Is there a "Mark as read" option yet?
Is anyone able to answer this question that everyone seems to want an answer to? Can a develeper say if there is a change being considered by Kobo?
aaabbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #116
aaabbb
aaabbb began at the beginning.

Hi

I recently downloaded a PDF format book to my Kobo through Adobe Digital Editions. It loaded fine but the font is so tiny at full page level that it is impossible to read. If I choose another option (even 100%) it then creates a sideways scroll to read it properly. This is the case even if I choose the landscape option. Any hints?
aaabbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #117
zoran
himself

Convert to epub.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #118
ajlei
ajlei began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaabbb View Post
Hi

I recently downloaded a PDF format book to my Kobo through Adobe Digital Editions. It loaded fine but the font is so tiny at full page level that it is impossible to read. If I choose another option (even 100%) it then creates a sideways scroll to read it properly. This is the case even if I choose the landscape option. Any hints?
You might try this: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...ter-e-reading/

I haven't tried it myself, but I do find it annoying when a PDF has large margins.

Also you could try converting it to ePub, but I have had pretty poor luck with that in the past.
ajlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #119
paulak
paulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enough

I've had sucess with converting pdf to epub by using Calibre.
paulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #120
amandaarlene
amandaarlene began at the beginning.

My question is can you remove or disable the quotes that come up when loading a ebook
Thanks
amandaarlene is offline   Reply With Quote