Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Angry Gizmodo - anyone have comment privilege there?

There is an item on Gizmodo about the iLiad, and it has two factual errors in it, that should be corrected:

- price tag is noto $810 but $699 (in US)
- stylus is expensive because it is Wacom

In addition, they seem to miss the point on many advantages of the iLiad, and perhaps eInk in general. Since you have to be invited to comment there, I can't. But I thought perhaps someone here might have that ability, and could check it out.

I just think it fair that the record is straight (I read Gizmodo daily, and hate to think that all their stories are so poorly reported...).
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
skestes
skestes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie
But according to the iRex shop it's currently $810.49 US. Where are you finding it for $699?
skestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
They had invites for comment privileges open for one hour last week, alas I missed it ;(

<-- also daily Gizmodo reader
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
oliverbogler
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by skestes
But according to the iRex shop it's currently $810.49 US. Where are you finding it for $699?
Well, I guess we are both right...

And if you click on the 'eReader' link to the left, which is on the green background, you come to this:

(no - this is not photoshopped...)

I bought mine before US pricing came online and so my statement in the iRex shop is in Euros - hence I didn't notice. Sorry. I am guessing the higher price is the one being charged?

In any case, the tone of the Gizmodo post could use a comment or two from someone better informed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.jpeg
Views:	645
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1272   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2.jpeg
Views:	673
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1273  
Old 07-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
I think the $810 is because it's still applying VAT, it comes down afterwards to its "real" price when you check out, from what I've seen of US orders here on the forum.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
oliverbogler
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaHuguet
I think the $810 is because it's still applying VAT, it comes down afterwards to its "real" price when you check out, from what I've seen of US orders here on the forum.

That meshes with my email conversation with iRex. When I brought their attention to the fact that I was charged $813 or so, and the list price was $699, they said it was because I was charged VAT and that they would refund the difference.

Anyone else have information on what they were charged?
Old 07-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
LauretteBradley
Enthusiast
LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle reader on iPad and iPhone
@oliverbogler

I paid 559.49 Euros = 708.26 U.S. dollars
LauretteBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
They had invites for comment privileges open for one hour last week, alas I missed it ;(

<-- also daily Gizmodo reader
Apparently you can raise your chance of becoming a commenter by sending story tips to tips@gizmodo.com. Now, I would never ever suggest that that is where you should send your comments too.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #9
stinky ox
Connoisseur
stinky ox began at the beginning.

Device: samsung q1, iLiad
It's amazing how some tech reviews seem to completely miss the point of what they purport to review - case in point was the reviews of Origami, almost universally saying "wah! It's not a laptop!" when the reason it's so good is precisely *because* it's not a laptop.

Yeah, we *could* all still buy paper books and cart them around, in just the same way I used to fill up the parts of my holiday luggage that weren't full of books with CDs and tapes. Now I have an iPod, of course, and now I have a *book* iPod too.

Give 'em a couple of years and once these things are cheap as chips they'll realise, I s'pose. But it does surprise me sometimes that these tech blogs have so little idea of future.
stinky ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
oliverbogler
Connoisseur

Just to complete the cycle - I heard back from iRex on the refund, and they state that:

"You should have paid $699 + $40 shipping to US = $739"

So that is the official price of the iLiad in the US, including S&H.

So... anyone here have Gizmodo commenting powers, and wish to set the record straight?