Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #196
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
All the screens are fragile no matter what device.
LG's flexible eInk screens should help with this quite a bit.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #197
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing
All the new stuff like a 1) glow light, 2) better battery life, 3) color eInk, 4) more memory, and maybe even a 5) larger screen, I will wait to get in a new Kindle. I only wish that I could expect to get 3G as well, but I fear those days are gone forever.

I look over there, and it sits quietly, never having had a problem, with its grey scale colors, many button keyboard, horrible navigation key but latched on dependably to AT&T 3G. It's my baby!
Don't fret the 3G. If you have WiFi Hotspot on your phone you make your own little ad hoc network. Besides, you will have 4G/LTE on the new generation anyway.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #198
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
LG's flexible eInk screens should help with this quite a bit.
Only if the devices are still affordable if it is used. I cannot see people paying more than $150 for an e-reader now that there are $200 tablets. Maybe a small niche group of folks would pay more but most folks are not going to be willing to pay more for an e-reader than a tablet.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #199
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Only if the devices are still affordable if it is used. I cannot see people paying more than $150 for an e-reader now that there are $200 tablets. Maybe a small niche group of folks would pay more but most folks are not going to be willing to pay more for an e-reader than a tablet.
The eReader will have to offer more than it does now.
More hours on the battery.
More contrast. More shades. (OR color eInk.)
An integrated method to read in the dark. "glow" or back lit or something.
More memory OR just a SD card.

The eReader doesn't have to become a tablet. It doesn't need video or even color though it does need more contrast if it doesn't get color.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #200
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
The eReader will have to offer more than it does now.
More hours on the battery.
More contrast. More shades. (OR color eInk.)
An integrated method to read in the dark. "glow" or back lit or something.
More memory OR just a SD card.

The eReader doesn't have to become a tablet. It doesn't need video or even color though it does need more contrast if it doesn't get color.
And more to the point, for old farts like me, a tablet that doubles as an eReader is far too distracting to use for reading.

Old and ADD: the perfect storm of ... Look! Squirrel!
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #201
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
40, ADHD, and loving the strategic board games on my IPad. Ticket to Ride anyone? Puerto Rico? Yeah. I made myself turn off the TV at 11 last night and read for 30 minutes before going to bed. I am going to have to get back in that habit. Otherwise my reading is going to be limited to board books and the like and while that will make it easy to get to 100 books read in a year, I might go nuts....
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #202
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I saw an ad on tv for this last evening. You can turn the backlight on and off I guess. Interesting but I don't actually mind a book light, and I rarely read where there isn't light, so I think I'll pass.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #203
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Something many people are overlooking: the anti-glare screen is easily scratched, which results in really bright blue spots peeking through that can be distracting.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #204
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
It is an interesting idea and I actually thought the ads were cute. It would be pertinent to my interests because I like to read in bed late at night but I have my Android devices (phone and now tablet, need to edit my profile) and the reading apps I use have a "night" setting.

For my eInk (and I love to read in a nice, sunny yard), my Kobo is still going strong and I don't intend to get another eInk until it breaks. I would probably get an eInk with a backlight when that happens.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #205
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
Something many people are overlooking: the anti-glare screen is easily scratched, which results in really bright blue spots peeking through that can be distracting.
That would irritate me to no end. I've seen a picture of the scratched screen with the light peeking, and it is not pretty. I really hope that it takes a lot to scratch the anti-glare screen. I'd also have to see the contrast difference between the GL and nonGL models in person. From what I can tell, some reviewers say that the loss in contrast/clarity is negligible, whereas others seem to find the difference quite large. I do a lot of reading in bright sunlight, so I think that a loss of contrast would bother me quite a lot. I'm curious to see how the Nook GL screen compares to a pre-pearl generation device, like the PRS-505.

I currently don't have any problem with using an external light - I have the lighted covers for the T1 and 350, and they are great. My husband, on the other hand, is very picky about reading lights and is very interested by the new Nook GL. Unfortunately, I don't live in the U.S. and won't be visiting there for a while, at least until the fall. The storage partition on the Nook for side loaded books is a deal breaker for me, but I may pick one up for my husband at some point if Sony or Kindle doesn't come out with a front lit ebook reader in the mean time.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #206
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm sure Amazon will come out with a front light e-ink Kindle sooner rather than later.

Don't know if I will buy one, but am interested to see what improvements they will make to the current Touch.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #207
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
That would irritate me to no end. I've seen a picture of the scratched screen with the light peeking, and it is not pretty. I really hope that it takes a lot to scratch the anti-glare screen. I'd also have to see the contrast difference between the GL and nonGL models in person. From what I can tell, some reviewers say that the loss in contrast/clarity is negligible, whereas others seem to find the difference quite large. I do a lot of reading in bright sunlight, so I think that a loss of contrast would bother me quite a lot. I'm curious to see how the Nook GL screen compares to a pre-pearl generation device, like the PRS-505.
I think they haven't gotten their manufacturing process down 100%. I looked at two separate BN displays before purchasing my GlowNook. The first display I saw showed no discernible difference in contrast in the actual reading. I could notice a very slight difference in the thick black bar at the top of the menu when I placed my 650 directly over top the Nook display.

However, the second display showed a marked contrast difference between the GlowNook and the ST. The GlowNook I have now, I can't tell a difference at all in contrast. I even took it outside and compared to my 650 in the noon day sun. No discernible difference in contrast.

So, while not perfect, if you don't like the display I'd say return it and get another. Chances are it will be just fine.

With regard to the hardiness of the antiglare coating, I've not taken a nail to it, but I don't see how you could damage it without intentional negligence. The bezel is a fair height above the display to fit both the touch components and the lighting LEDs. If you drop it, it's simply not going to land on the screen unless you drop it over the center of a pyramid. I've also already cleaned it with a rough cloth, and found no degradation of whatever the coating material is. In short, treat a GlowNook as a thin electronic device instead of a tank, and you'll be fine.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #208
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
And more to the point, for old farts like me, a tablet that doubles as an eReader is far too distracting to use for reading.
I've always meant to ask someone this: How do you know you're not a new fart? How exactly does a connoisseur determine the age?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #209
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I've always meant to ask someone this: How do you know you're not a new fart? How exactly does a connoisseur determine the age?
Believe me, when you become an Old Fart, you'll know (speaking as one).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #210
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i'm 34 and my wife calls me a cranky old fart. its a state of mind
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote