Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be upgrading to the Paperwhite II proposed below?
Yes. Upgrading from Paperwhite. 17 22.67%
Yes. Upgrading from and old reader, or different brand. 7 9.33%
No. Have Paperwhite already. Not enough improvement. 44 58.67%
No. I haven't got a PW, but will wait until my reader breaks. 7 9.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #106
Sparticuz
Sparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Don't know about anyone else, but for the past few days, the ads on my PW are half off accessories, 5 bucks off leather smart case, stuff like that. Seems like they are emptying the warehouse...
Sparticuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #107
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
less is more.

I chose one font and one font size and that's it for me. I'm not a gadget tinkerer, I'm a reader wanting to read.
Exactly that's why I want to be able to change the font and size most comfortable for my eyes, which is never the default sizes or fonts offered with the device thus custom fonts and sizes.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #108
Mookie
Major Major
Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PW
If the screen and lighting were the same (or better) than the Kobo Aura I would upgrade.
I don't need any other bells and whistles. I want to focus on reading, not social networking, and depending on the material I find it difficult to concentrate with music playing.
I'm afraid I'm becoming single threaded in my dotage.
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #109
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I tend to agree. but I listen to ambient music when reading.

Music with words is really distracting.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #110
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparticuz View Post
Don't know about anyone else, but for the past few days, the ads on my PW are half off accessories, 5 bucks off leather smart case, stuff like that. Seems like they are emptying the warehouse...
Well, at one point I complained about ads for movies and stuff that were kinda prust (yiddish for "Coarse, common, vulgar, rough; (socially) unrefined" and usually something of a general man+womanish nature, and in this case a woman wearing immodest clothing) which as a religious Jew I naturally cannot have as a screensaver on my Kindle. Got them to take off the "Special Offers" on my Kindle but they may have decided to tone down the general presence of stuff that anyone could in any way object to no matter what or why...

Though I wouldn't think I personally would have that big an effect on Amazon policy...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #111
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
In my case, the answer is no, b/c the pw2 will probably be just as unsuitable for me as the pw1. I've been left behind by amazon. I'm stuck with the k3.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #112
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
*hugs k3's*
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #113
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
If it will not have turn page button(s) i will not buy it.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #114
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
- GoodReads integration (why else would they have bought it?)
Don't forget they also bought Ivona TTS software company. One of the best TTS companies in my opinion.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #115
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
If it will not have turn page button(s) i will not buy it.
Unfortunately Sischa I think non touch screen ereaders will be a dying breed.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #116
worxland
Connoisseur
worxland began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Paperwhite
Will I buy a thing without knowing anything about its proper specifications or even its existence, and base my decision on someone's wet dreams?
No.
worxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #117
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the time being my K3 is fine, but I'll consider an upgrade. It depends on how good the screen actually is. That's what finally pulled me away from my K1.

Last edited by carld; 09-04-2013 at 02:13 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #118
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Judging from early screen discoloration problems with PW, I would wait 6 months. Not to mention Calibre may not work with the new Kindle.

I would wait and see.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #119
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Judging from early screen discoloration problems with PW, I would wait 6 months. Not to mention Calibre may not work with the new Kindle.
I would wait and see.
Calibre will still work just fine, unless the Kindle no longer allows you to sideload books by treating the Kindle documents/music/audible/etc. folders as a removable drive. Calibre is no different than sideloading a book yourself manually.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #120
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Paperwhite Wifi is gone:
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com

That leads me to believe a refresh is just around the corner. I wonder if it will match the improvements that the Kobo has been making with the Kobo Aura and Aura HD?
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote