Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2008, 01:49 AM   #16
stgben
Enthusiast
stgben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Also, right now my clock is a little messed up (left digit not showing completely) and I think Jeff's update fixes this.

Thanks for any help!!!

dordale
I've attached an updated "main.xml" that I am using with Igorsk's UF 2.0 that fixes the clock issue. It truncates "am" and "pm" to "a" and "p" respectively, providing the necessary room for all of the numbers.

If you can't get Jeff's program to work, this should alleviate one issue.

As always, place the file in
Code:
files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\resources\scripts
and reflash.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: xml main.xml (51.0 KB, 1055 views)
stgben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:27 AM   #17
smaulz
smaulz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
Any chance of someone posting the original icons? I love all the other options, but I prefer the original (1.1.00.18040) icons. Thanks!
smaulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #18
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Jeff--First of all thanks very much for posting this!!

I'm trying to use the PRS Customizer, but I keep coming up with an error message.

According to my reader, I'm able to create the image successfully (5--make a new image); but when I go to the next step (6--flash the image) I always get the following error: "Error while flashing partition! It is recommended to switch to recovery mode and use Sony flasher to flash a stock image." I can then exit to the menu and my Reader still works but hasn't been updated.

I previously ran used the Universal Flash Updater 2.0 provided by Igorsk with the additional files provided by Gwynevans. I was able to run this successfully--only thing that I couldn't get to "take" were the new icons.

I would appreciate any pointers or suggestions on what I might try to get the updater to work successfully. I'd like to have the new icons and the identifying text. Also, right now my clock is a little messed up (left digit not showing completely) and I think Jeff's update fixes this.

Thanks for any help!!!

dordale
I think I know what you might have done. My icons didn't take the first time either because I saved the thumbnail instead of the actual picture. Moving onto the the bigger issue. That error you get is expected now because of a bug in the flasher. You need to use the option to put the reader into firmware update mode, then remove the card. You need to download the sony firmware flasher again if you didnt save it before, connect the reader with a usb cord, and run it. After this is done, pop the sd card back in, flash with the usual options and you're golden.

TLDR Version: redo the firmware first before running the flasher more than once.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:04 AM   #19
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
You should probably run the stock updater from Sony all over again before trying to reflash. What you should do is unzip the updater (which is an .exe file but can be unzipped) into a folder, and find the PRSVersion.dat file and edit it using notepad, change the last 0 to a 1 and then you can run the updater from the unzipped folder any time you like to return your Reader to the new stock update. THEN run the universal flasher.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #20
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
I previously ran used the Universal Flash Updater 2.0 provided by Igorsk with the additional files provided by Gwynevans. I was able to run this successfully--only thing that I couldn't get to "take" were the new icons.
If you have previously customized your Reader, you will probably have to perform a reflash using the Sony PRS-505 Updater prior to using this software. This is due to a bug in the flasher which Igorsk is aware of.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #21
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Thanks everyone!

Reflashing did the trick. I entered the firmware update mode in the flasher, which basically erased the firmware on my 505. Then I was able to run the firmware updater from Sony. After doing that, reflashing worked like a charm.

Love all the improvements!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #22
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaulz View Post
Any chance of someone posting the original icons? I love all the other options, but I prefer the original (1.1.00.18040) icons. Thanks!
Please download the new version (prscust.01.zip.) It will allow you to deselect the new icons, keeping the older set.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #23
smaulz
smaulz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Please download the new version (prscust.01.zip.) It will allow you to deselect the new icons, keeping the older set.
Thanks so much for that! Works GREAT!
smaulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:29 AM   #24
christolles
christolles began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaulz View Post
rather than go through the trouble of flashing with the "new" icons, deciding i, too, would rather have the old ones, and figuring out how to undo it, could someone please point me to a screenshot of old vs. new? i can't for the life of me figure out which "new" icons are included in this flasher...

thanks!
christolles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #25
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

A suggestion to all those that like to customize your readers: After seeing the file kBookAssets.png I wonder if you could also change the black bar on the bottom of the reader's screen: Maybe turning it to grey, adding your name to it or even using a small pattern or image. It seems that it would work (and make a lot of difference, huh?).

But.... I wonder if we could turn it off and use ALL precious screen space for reading!
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #26
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
I couldn't get it to work on my Reader, maybe it's because I'm using a micro SD card with an SD adapter.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #27
GuardianZX9
GuardianZX9 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader x 2
Didnt work on my PRS-505 either, loaded from a 2 Gig SD card, I have FW 1.1.00.18040.

I have never flashed before, it says all was successful but no clock or joystick page turns.

G
GuardianZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #28
stgben
Enthusiast
stgben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
I couldn't get it to work on my Reader, maybe it's because I'm using a micro SD card with an SD adapter.
I've exclusively used micro SD card with an SD adapter and never had a problem in the dozens of flashes I've performed.
stgben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:44 AM   #29
JeffElkins
Guru

Guardian & Catire, I have no idea why flashing didn't take. First, I'd re-apply the Sony update and try to customize again. Then, look for log files on your cards and see if something needs to be reported to Igorsk.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #30
OldReader
OldReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Any way to Un-Brick my PRS-505? After attempting the flash PRSCustomizer, the screen sicks at initial screen "Reader starting up". Reset, mark + vol and reconnecting to computer do nothing. It is not seen as a drive any longer.

Do I buy a new one? Or does someone have a good idea?
OldReader is offline   Reply With Quote