Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Personal Docs not showing up on cloud

I have made sure that personal documents archives are enabled for my kindles but I am still unable to download any of my documents onto KF through cloud. Has anyone found out how to do this? They are not even showing up on the device as a downloadable option.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
I have made sure that personal documents archives are enabled for my kindles but I am still unable to download any of my documents onto KF through cloud. Has anyone found out how to do this? They are not even showing up on the device as a downloadable option.
Which Kindles do you have?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I go to manage my kindle on Amazon's website.. on the left of the screen you'll see a link for personal doc's, click that and hit the drop down button of the doc you want and send it to the device you wish.. I don't know if there is another way, but this is how I did it..
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Each Kindle has a DIFFERENT assigned email address. Make sure you are using the one for the specific Kindle Fire you want to reach. Go to "Manage Kindles" on in "Your Account" on the Amazon site to get the correct email address.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I have the K3 with keyboard, DX and and fire. However the cloud on my KF will not show any of the peersonal documents that appear on the K3. My K3 shows all of my documents as being archived and able to be downloaded
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Two copies required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
I have the K3 with keyboard, DX and and fire. However the cloud on my KF will not show any of the peersonal documents that appear on the K3. My K3 shows all of my documents as being archived and able to be downloaded
You must send one copy of the document to the K3 and another copy to the Fire. Each has a different email address. Sending to one does NOT get it to the other.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
You must send one copy of the document to the K3 and another copy to the Fire. Each has a different email address. Sending to one does NOT get it to the other.
No! The Kindle Personal Documents Service is supposed to handle this without emailing a document to each Kindle. Here is the supposed flow:
  1. Email a document to yourself (one time/device only)
  2. Amazon converts document, if necessary, and places it in your Archive (cloud) as well as sends it to one or more of your Kindles. The document is now considered a Personal Document.
  3. From any qualified Kindle, open your Archive and download the Personal Document just as you would a purchased book

That is how it is supposed to work. But I notice that the Fire does not seem to be seeing the Personal Documents in my Archive. Amazon may not have added the Fire to the list of qualified devices yet, though they should have.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-17-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
... the Fire does not seem to be seeing the Personal Documents in my Archive. Amazon may not have added the Fire to the list of qualified devices yet, though they should have.
Emailing a document works fine, but I think where you're off is that it is not supposed to be in the Cloud. Docs has nothing to do with the Cloud at all. The Cloud is for storing your own MP3s, and a digital locker for items purchased from Amazon. That is it. Docs that you email to yourself are in your Kindle digital archive. Why? I guess that's the way it worked with the old Kindle so that's the way it works with the new Kindle as well.

Sure, it would make perfect sense (and I think a lot of folks understood it to work this way) that the tabs on the Kindle for Video and Docs would be shortcuts to your Amazon Cloud Drive, but that isn't the way things seem to be working, or even intended as such. That's the disconnect. Maybe Amazon can fix that, but for now it actually seems like using the browser to access the Cloud Drive is the more efficient if not the only way to access the Cloud for docs and video.

Last edited by weatherman; 11-17-2011 at 12:36 PM.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Looks like archived Personal Documents are not available to Fire yet

Here it what the Amazon web page says about Kindle Personal Documents Service (what some of us called the "Cloud"):

Quote:
You can view and download archived personal documents from your Kindle library on Kindle Keyboard (with the latest software update, version 3.3), Kindle and Kindle Touch. Whispersync of last page read, bookmarks, and annotations is available on your archived personal documents that have been converted into Kindle format.
Quote:
Retrieving archived personal documents is currently only supported on Kindle Keyboard, Kindle and Kindle Touch.
So I guess it hasn't yet been extended to the Fire yet. Come on Amazon, get off you butt and follow through with your promises!

Last edited by jswinden; 11-17-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Emailing a document works fine, but I think where you're off is that it is not supposed to be in the Cloud. Docs has nothing to do with the Cloud at all. The Cloud is for storing your own MP3s, and a digital locker for items purchased from Amazon. That is it. Docs that you email to yourself are in your Kindle digital archive. Why? I guess that's the way it worked with the old Kindle so that's the way it works with the new Kindle as well.

Sure, it would make perfect sense (and I think a lot of folks understood it to work this way) that the tabs on the Kindle for Video and Docs would be shortcuts to your Amazon Cloud Drive, but that isn't the way things seem to be working, or even intended as such. That's the disconnect. Maybe Amazon can fix that, but for now it actually seems like using the browser to access the Cloud Drive is the more efficient if not the only way to access the Cloud for docs and video.
It's taken quite a bit of googling, trial and error on my part put this description mirrors my experience so far and frankly for those a little confused on it all, this is the quote that needs to be read. It goes a long way in explaining things and frankly will depress you a little into how far short this device falls. I too had hoped videos, docs and pics uploaded to the cloud drive at home would become a part of the kindle cloud system with the tabs up top. What's even more weird is music thru the cloud drive does show up.

For pics, docs and video though, you need to access your cloud drive thru the web browser, and if it works, download the file thru the check and tab button method or if it doesn't, hold the file name down and click 'save link' on the pop up. all will go into a download folder on the device so using a app like es explorer you can go to the download folder. if you had to 'save link' from up above, chances are it won't open right up so I have been taking off the .bin extension and renameing .mp4 for vids, .jpg for pics then moving these files into the picture folder where the gallery app can acess it in a reasonably asthetically laid out manner. the es explorer can view these as well. for docs, i been using the office app it has although I had issues with a pdf, need to work on that.

the distinction to remember is cloud drive and the archived cloud of kindle books are two seperate entities. videos and music purchased from amazon is more a part of the kindle book cloud and all total, is the cloud the fire is frankly built to use. This isn't built to use the cloud drive side of things. as stated above, the exception is music. music uploaded to the cloud drive behaves very similiarly on the device as purchased amazon cloud music would. Hope is if that works that way, maybe sooner then later, videos, pics and docs can as well.

The kindle fire is a cloud based tablet for accessing amazon purchased items, not your personal items sans music. with the limited space issues, even the work arounds for cloud drive don't make too much sense after awhile as it still isn't streaming it like it would with purchased cloud items. its a download and view method much like the ios cloud.
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Here it what the Amazon web page says about Kindle Personal Documents Service (what some of us called the "Cloud"):

So I guess it hasn't yet been extended to the Fire yet. Come on Amazon, get off you butt and follow through with your promises!
It in the manual about this. It wont have Pdoc cloud access. You can email yourself a doc or send one from the pdoc MYK page to your Fire but you wont have access to your pdoc Cloud from the Fire.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post

He is talking about a different Cloud. You get a Personal Documents Cloud of 5GB of space that can be access from the MYK page for personal documents. It works for K3 running 3.3 and K4 & KTs but not the Fire fully.

From a normal Kindle you can send yourself a document and it will work just like a Normal Archive item. You can remove it from the device and readd from your Kindle by going into Archive just like you do an Amazon book. You can't do this from the Fire. Only send docs to it. The Fire also has a different email address unlike the new Kindles purchased after Sept 28th it doesn't share one.

This is a bit disappointing. I suspect it's due to not having the Pdoc cloud available for Kindle apps yet. I suspect we will see it added at a later date when the other apps get it.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It in the manual about this. It wont have Pdoc cloud access. You can email yourself a doc or send one from the pdoc MYK page to your Fire but you wont have access to your pdoc Cloud from the Fire.
If I read correctly from page 13 of the manual, then sending Personal Documents to your Fire email address does get them onto your Fire but does not place them into your Archive so that other Kindles in your account can access them. Wow, if you only have a Fire and no other Kindle then you are simply SOL when it comes to archiving/syncing full info for Personal Documents. I could be interpreting that incorrectly though. If you have another Kindle which IS allowed to archive Personal Documents, then you can use it to archive. I'm unclear if you can sync full info with the Fire though. I'm off to test this out.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Did a test and Fire is totally oblivious to the archived Personal Documents of other Kindles (K3 and K4). Here are the shortcomings from the test.
  • Fire cannot archive Personal Documents
  • Fire cannot sync info (not even farthest page read) with Personal Documents archived by K3s or K4s
  • Delete a Personal Document from the Fire and it is totally gone. You will have to email it to the Fire again if you want it back, but deletion also deletes highlights, notes, etc.

This is really bad IMO. First, Amazon is loosely using Personal Documents in a confusing manner which can result in us thinking that they are referring to the Personal Documents that can be archived and synced via the Kindle Personal Documents Service. there are two definitions for Personal Documents as used by Amazon:
  • A non-Amazon Store document that was sideloaded or emailed to your Kindle.
    • Document cannot be archived
    • Document cannot be synced with other Kindles
  • A non-Amazon Store document that you emailed to your qualifying K3 or K4 to take advantage of the Kindle Personal Documents Service for purposes of archiving and syncing with other qualifying Kindles.
    • Document can be archived
    • Document can be easily downloaded from Archive to qualifying Kindles
    • Document can be fully synced with other qualifying Kindles
Old 11-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #15
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
jswinden: even reading what you just wrote made my head spin, but I think that's also in part because I wasn't terribly familiar with the "Personal Documents" in the first place. It's not a feature I used much with my K2. But I think you're right that the whole thing is very confusing, and that it would seem the Fire is not really well set up for reading personal documents, which of course makes no sense.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote