Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
baumgar
Banned
baumgar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle fire, iPad 2 or xoom?

Wanna buy a tablet PC that I can read as well as playing games everywhere. So I search for info.

Most people like iPad 2, which I played before, no much different from other pads actually. (my opinion) What's the advantage of it?? Someone tell me?

About the Kindle fire, not a cheap one also, is under heating discussion. I had a kindle, and it performs well until now. (have it for half an year). So I think kindle fire is trustworthy, what do you think?

And xoom, so many people are talking about it, how do it disappoint them, blah blah blah. But how does it work? Anyone who got one can give me some advice?

Which one to choose in the above three?? My friends, help.
baumgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
How about one of each?

I love my Fire. I continue to use my Xoom as well -- it's standard Android compared to the Fire which is very customized but if you just want to read, video, music and have a few apps - email, angry birds etc it's perfect but relies pretty heavily on the Amazon Cloud. It does not have cameras where the xoom does.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
If cost is not a deciding factor, iPad 2. Currently it also probably has the most powerful graphic onboard with their A5 chip since you mentioned gaming. I tried my friend's Kindle Fire and it felt sluggish in everything it does. Pretty good value for the price though...
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Give the nook tablet a look. It might be what you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
IPad2

Why? The market is big, so you'll find lot of games, in my opinion better than Android. You can also run Nook and Kindle app on it.

The iPad is a more mature tablet, stable and awesome performance. Also, most banks, newspapers, business, are designing or designed apps for iOs /iPad.

I just bought a Kindle Fire but is only good if you want portability or are in a tight budget. Is a different device with a great price, but not the best tablet out there, its not an iPad

I also like the Samsung 10" or 9˝. Those are lighter and faster than Xoom, in my opinion.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I say it depends on what you want to do with the device. Also I say look at the ecosystem. Hands down that is apple & kindle fire. Then you look at size. If you'll be wanting to do some productivity, thn you'll want to go with the iPad. If you'll just be playing games, music, movies, email, reading, then the kindle fire. I don't know much about the xoom other than it had some hardware issues. Someone else will hav to jump in on that. Also the new Xoom 2 was announced, the Xyboard. So that may be a consideration, they are going to be quite a bit more than an iPad & have a 2 yr contract. Maybe the transformer Optimus prime fom asus would be one to look at also, or the acer iconia.

I have the fire & the iPad. They both are very good devices. I would just think about your specific use case & also some longevity. Some of these companies are not too quick to update or they update hardware as fast you are left in the digital dust....& you don't want bytes in your eye.

Good luck. Let us know what you decided.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote