Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-12-2023, 12:09 PM   #1
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Editor error log

Please help me understand some aspects related to the error log, when converting an epub to another format.
Quote:
Decreased the font cmuntb.otf to 35.1% of its original size
Usupported GSUB table: The GSUB table has unknown version: 0x10001

Decreased the font Fraunces_120pt_Wonky-BoldItalic.ttf to 35.7% of its original size
Decreased the font kawoszeh.ttf to 38.4% of its original size
The font NotoSansDisplay-ExtraCondensedSemiBold.ttf is unused. Removing it.
The font Montserrat-Italic.ttf is unused. Removing it.
P
To which font applies the GSUB error? cmuntb? Fraunces? Undisclosed and not embedded (because of this error!) font?
And if the font is embedded, what is the significance? There is no much information on the web on such an error (one google page ).

This P is always the latest character in a failed attempt to convert an epub to no matter what format (in this case, IIRC, from epub to epub - I think I hoped that Calibre would "flatten out" any error may exist).
The status changed from Added links to... (I could not read it, being instantly replaced by Error) to Error.

Strangely, when converting to PDF, the "unused" fonts are no longer unused... And the cover is cover.jpg, so I cannot understand the last log entry...
Quote:
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Trimming u'CormorantSC-Regular.ttf' from manifest
Trimming u'cover.xhtml' from manifest
Creating PDF Output...
Converting input as a text based book...
The cover image has an id != "cover". Renaming to work around bug in Nook Color
P
Maybe the error is not logged before stopping. Which is the next action after "renaming the "cover"? Or it simply outputs the error because it can't change cover.jpg into cover.jpg? In the temp folder, Calibre apparently renames the cover.jpg into some random name, like nvcr9j.
The last entry in the worker's log is:
Quote:
GlyphSizeMismatch: Size mismatch for glyph id: 17 prev_sz: 100 sz: 108
I pretty much tend to consider that one of my fonts is the culprit. Unfortunately, I cannot find anywhere the straight answer - which one, so I can replace/remove it. I use some 50 fonts (separate files for bold, italic etc.), so taking out one by one and wait 20 minutes for the error to occur is not really an option, if there would be an easy way

Thanks
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:57 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
It would make things easier if you ran the epub through ScrambleEpub and then attached ti to a message here.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2023, 11:13 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's easy enough to check, delete cmuntb.otf and redo the process. It means subsetting of the GSUB table will not work, so the font will not be shrunk as much.

That P means the calibre worker process was killed, leaving the log incomplete. either the system ran out of RAM and killed it or it crashed or was killed by an antivirus or similar.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 05:46 AM   #4
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It would make things easier if you ran the epub through ScrambleEpub and then attached ti to a message here.
I do not know what ScrambleEpub is Google directs me to some novels in ePub format. I don't think this is what you meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's easy enough to check, delete cmuntb.otf and redo the process.
So this means that the warning/error refers to the font next to which it comes.
Anyway, it was one of the fonts I processed myself with the FontForge, not cmuntb. Which one I don't know, I removed all of them in one go. Is there a sort of EpubCheck/EpubValidator for fonts, to see if there are free from errors?
Quote:
It means subsetting of the GSUB table will not work, so the font will not be shrunk as much.
This is one good answer I was looking for.
Quote:
That P means the calibre worker process was killed, leaving the log incomplete. either the system ran out of RAM and killed it or it crashed or was killed by an antivirus or similar.
The system ran out of memory (RAM) in this case. This is one good answer I was looking for.

Thank you all for the answers.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 07:23 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Scramble ePub is a Calibre plug-in that scrambles the content but leaves the HTML and CSS as they are. Then a copyright epub can be shared without violating copyright.

If I get an error converting I first try turning off font subsetting. Fifty fonts is a lot!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
font embedding, otf, ttf