Notices

Old 12-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #16
vividread
vividread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The price I would pay is nothing. I don't want eBooks I can get for free to be read only on my phone/tablet. Also, how do I know that your code is good and your formatting is good?

You would have to post a sample eBook (in ePub) to show off what you are doing. You have to make these eBooks available such that they can be read on a Reader such as Kobo. And what would be different about your copies compared tot he ones already available for free right here at Mobileread?
I hadn't known MR too has people uploading eBooks. That makes me ask, what's the purpose of doing that? Isn't Gutenberg already having ePubs and PDFs available?

Are books on MR

- different formats than Gutenberg?
- of more in quantity / variety than Gutenberg?

Honestly I am genuinely curious why people upload here...
vividread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividread View Post

Proof read
lovingly formatted
images added

see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/eb...hp?forumid=130
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Proof read
lovingly formatted
images added

see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/eb...hp?forumid=130
And even if not proofread because PG has proofreaders, the code is a lot better then the machine generate ePub code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hadn't known MR too has people uploading eBooks. That makes me ask, what's the purpose of doing that? Isn't Gutenberg already having ePubs and PDFs available?

Are books on MR

Not all of the eBooks here are available on PG. Some are Creative Commons. Some are collections. Some have the images found and added back in.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #20
vividread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not all of the eBooks here are available on PG. Some are Creative Commons. Some are collections. Some have the images found and added back in.
Wow, I hadn't known such an enthusiastic community helping each others!

So to address device choice, what seems to be rational strategy for me is to

- allow them to read my own format on iOS device
- allow sharing in ePub / mobi format so that other devices could be used for reading

Would that be the desired path?
Advert
Old 12-11-2020, 08:42 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Wow, I hadn't known such an enthusiastic community helping each others!

So to address device choice, what seems to be rational strategy for me is to

- allow them to read my own format on iOS device
- allow sharing in ePub / mobi format so that other devices could be used for reading

Would that be the desired path?
Forget Mobi. Use KF8 (AZW3). Yes, that would be the desired path to allow reading outside of your app. So ePub and KF8 would be good.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:10 PM   #22
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
As a 100+ book a year reader and a dedicated e-ink reader, your plan isn't for me.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #23
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

Are books on MR

I downloaded a copy of Kim from here that has illustrations by Kipling's father. As far as I know, it's not available anywhere else.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:24 AM   #24
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Delphi already does this, or something similar to what you're thinking:

https://www.delphiclassics.com/
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:36 AM   #25
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Honestly I doubt most parents would shell out that much for this service when any tablet can get public domain books for free.

You’re aiming at an extremely niche market which is already saturated with options from bigger and arguably more dependable sources. They will after all have dev teams to work on their app while you’re just one person.

You’re also fighting against laziness which is a proven benefit to ereaders and tablets with built in ebook services. People generally look for the most immediate option.

And before folks here jump on that with “I don’t”, MR folks aren’t typical ereaders. We’re the fanatics.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:55 AM   #26
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
My original target was children who have just learned to read, but do not take off because of some inherent barriers in reading habits and reading training.

The app would do read-aloud + word highlight in a sort-of-immersive mode.

That, combined with gamification about the reading stats.
Hm, those features might be useful for people learning a second or third language. I might be willing to pay for this kind of service if I ever decide to rekindle my very rusty German, provided it was available in that language.

I've tried Duolingo, but found it too boring. But I love reading, so language training centered around that sounds more tempting.

I'd want to be able to pause my subscription, but keep my reading stats when/if I returned, because I might not always have the time and energy for studying.

Although in that case the classics might be a problem -- I tried to read one on my favourite children's books in German ("Heidi" by Spyri), and found that 1880s German had some unexpected grammar and vocabulary that I can't remember ever coming across at school. So if you're going this way, you should probably get advice from a language teacher about good books to choose for language students.

For price, Sirtel's suggestion of a couple of euro per month seems right. I'd also suggest a free demo, so people can find out how good your service is before they pay.

Added: I see this kind of service exists already, for instance https://www.languagereadingbooks.com/. So you'd have to do something they don't or do whatever it is better.

Last edited by hildea; 12-12-2020 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Went looking for existing apps doing this.
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:47 AM   #27
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
In addition to all the books here on MR there is also this site that publish well taken cared of classics in the PD. Highly recommended especially for those for whom English is the second language:

https://standardebooks.org/about
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I wouldn't pay a penny or a sole for this service.

The fact that you come here asking for advice without having first looked through our site and then at our Library of FREE ebooks shows that you haven't really invested your time in thinking through this whole process.

Too, when you are through with your questions and your PRODUCT becomes available, and then you actually start to promote and ask for MONEY, then you would need to read Mobileread's POSTING GUIDELINES to get informed of what your responsibilities are when using our free service for promotional purposes.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #29
vividread

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Delphi already does this, or something similar to what you're thinking:

https://www.delphiclassics.com/
Great resource, thanks!
Old 12-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #30
vividread

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
In addition to all the books here on MR there is also this site that publish well taken cared of classics in the PD. Highly recommended especially for those for whom English is the second language:

https://standardebooks.org/about
Such a great initiative! There is a lot of selfless curation effort here and this community (just like MR) is a goldmine...someone with a commercial intent needs to beat that thrice...

Tags
classics, ereader apps, mobile applications, price