Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #16
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHeFiRsTiDioT View Post
I read almost a book a day in the ebook format - be it on the iphone, or my ebookwise, or just on my laptop.

But its that special something which is missing. Maybe its just the fact that I can see my bookshelf overloaded with the books I love. Maybe its just the fact that as a teenager, I had to watch what I bought and carefully read through opinions on the net before I bought a book. Maybe its just that a brand new book (or a well kept old one at that) has a smell I miss in an ebook.

I still end up going to my local bookstore and buying books which I love, even if I own their ebook versions.
I think one of those special somethings was I could hold the book in any darn position so long as the page was facing me in a somewhat upright position to my face. I didn't have to make sure a thumb was near a little button. I didn't need to worry about smudging a screen. I didn't need to worry about breaking said screen.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I think one of those special somethings was I could hold the book in any darn position so long as the page was facing me in a somewhat upright position to my face. I didn't have to make sure a thumb was near a little button. I didn't need to worry about smudging a screen. I didn't need to worry about breaking said screen.
There's no need to keep your thumb near any button, do you read a paper book always with a hand near the page corner, ready to turn it? I usually have to move my hand for that, so I don't care that much if I have to move my hand to press a little button.

And is it so comfortable to hold a paper book? not for me, holding a paperback open with one hand is sometimes quite a feat, more so if I'm lying on my side and the paperback is rather large... I also have to change position for reading even and odd pages, use a bookmark when I stop reading for a while, etc.

Maybe we are all so used to reading paper books that we don't realize how uncomfortable they can be
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #18
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:

-MJ
Lol Yes, especially the breaking screen part
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I expect paper books to become luxury versions of documents and literature, all of which will be available primarily electronically in the future. Paper books will not be the standard form of distribution, as it is too effort- and resource-intensive, and things are simply getting too fiscally and environmentally tight for that.

We may expect some sort of local services in our future, capable of taking our e-book files and assembling them into paper books individually. Think about that: Imagine being able to go to a local store, tell them what size of format, font, cover, etc, to use... and get back a truly customized paper book. That could beat hands-down a standard book type that this person has trouble holding, this person needs a more durable cover for, and that person can't read the small type, etc.

In the way that most printing has been electronically converted, leaving the printing industry to exist increasingly as more of a boutique business today, I expect books to go the same way. They'll still be around, but in much smaller numbers, probably created individually and customized, and considered expensive luxuries or gifts.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #20
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Besides, having all books in ebook format will help the Ministry of Truth update the texts easier.

-MJ
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Besides, having all books in ebook format will help the Ministry of Truth update the texts easier.

-MJ
Cheeky devil!

Actually, think about it: If e-books are widely distributed, the Ministry of Truth can update their texts all they want, but the originals will be out in the wild, providing evidence of editing.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #22
mjh215
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Cheeky devil!

Actually, think about it: If e-books are widely distributed, the Ministry of Truth can update their texts all they want, but the originals will be out in the wild, providing evidence of editing.
That is if boxes maintain their independence in the years to come. If however computers are all linked and there is a pervasive enough system in place that scenario could be possible. Such as an embedded backdoor in OS required by government powers. Systems that aren't could be made illegal for any number of reasons. DRM being a perfect candidate. Any OS without strict DRM provisions could be a potential candidate for violation of IP laws and therefore outlawed. Should I go on?

-MJ
Old 11-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #23
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Should I go on?
No... you should put away that copy of 1984 and go visit a bar.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #24
mjh215
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
No... you should put away that copy of 1984 and go visit a bar.
Actually, only the first post was a reference to the 1984 and was meant to be taken in jest. I was only joking around with a potential abuse....

-MJ

(Leaves the thread)