Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #31
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
I pretty much got the same response that tostigus@yahoo.c got. They refused to answer anything at all. Just many circles. That's just sad.
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #32
BCCISProf
Enthusiast
BCCISProf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, Nook
I am a very satisfied user of the Sony Reader Model PRS-500 which was purchased on February 2007. I would urge you to consider issuing software updates for this model. I would add my voice to all those who have been requesting such an update.

It would impact negatively on Sony reputation as a technology leader if it did not provide support and updates for a product that is less than two years old.

The ability to use collections on SD cards, the use of ePub and PDF reflows would be an excellent addition to your product.

Thank you.
BCCISProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #33
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Thanks for this info and thread, Nate. I've emailed my two cents asking for a firmware update for my one year old 500 to better handle PDFs and epub (as I sit imagining what it might be like to get beer on Reader. what will they think of next!)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #34
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
ePub! ePub! ePub!
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #35
fdp
fdp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
I've sent in my request to support. It is interesting to note the change in mood that an announcement about potential support for the PRS500 has created in this forum. I would hope that Sony notices this and realizes the immense value that continued updates for PRS500 owners will have in gaining the hearts and minds of e-book customers. I certainly appreciate Sony's willingness to reconsider the matter and hope that they do the right thing.
fdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #36
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I don't own a PRS-500, but still enthusiastically support the idea of an upgrade. This would demonstrate a level of responsiveness from Sony that would be very encouraging.
I do have a PRS-500 but in all other respects, I fully agree with Taylor. Would really like to see a "full" implementation of the RTF format to include images and TOC.

Sent my email.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #37
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
sent my email too - I love my PRS 500, it's my very favourite thing. I'd hate for it to be sidelined by Sony.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #38
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
When sending your e-mails please do not forget to ask for x64 Vista drivers as well
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #39
Quelle
Quelle doesn't litterQuelle doesn't litterQuelle doesn't litter

Device: ebw 1150, PRS 500, PRS 700, HP touchpad, Cruz T301
Sony, how have I purchased thee, let me count the ways...receiver, turntable, television, DVD recorder, voice recorder, PRS 500, wireless headphones, VCR, game console, cd player, Betamax. PRS-500 upgrade yields customer loyalty begets product purchases sires stock increase equals happy shareholders. Yes, I would appreciate the 500 receiving the same upgrade as the 505. Thank you for your attention and courtesy.
Quelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #40
BCCISProf
Enthusiast
BCCISProf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, Nook
I sent my request to Sony. First I get a response as follows:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm glad to assist you with the information on software update available for your Sony Reader. Please click on the URL below for the information in this regard:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PRS500

Thank you for choosing Sony.

The Sony Email Response Team
I then responded to this rather inane response by writing:

Quote:
I am well aware that there was a single PRS-500 firmware update issued in July of 2007. I am adding my voice to those who are requesting an additional update (as was recently made for the 505).

Please forward my email to management so that they may hear from their
customer base.

Thank you.
I then get the following:

Quote:

Customer input and response is invaluable in the continued support and development of our products. We want you to know that we appreciate your feedback.

Thank you for choosing Sony.

I can only hope that they are getting the message.
BCCISProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #41
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
It's been a long time since I last posted here, (not sure why).

I want to add my voice to the choir calling for a firmware update for the 500. I'm still going strong with mine and am loathe to replace it unless the worst should happen and it breaks.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #42
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
More circular answers

Here's the answer I got;

"Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm really sorry, but we at the Customer Information Services Center are neither involved in the invention nor the designing of new products. Therefore, we are unable to provide reasoning behind design and compatibility decisions. We are not aware what features our next generation of products still in development may include. We receive information on products at the time they are posted on the support Website. We are really sorry that we do not have engineering or marketing contact information available to provide. However, customer input and response is invaluable in the continued support and development of our products. Each new generation of our products will include changes, additional enhancements, and features to better suit the needs of our customers.

Thank you for your time.

C651
Sophia"
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:27 AM   #43
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
I would very much welcome a firmware update of the PRS-500 which enables me to perform a complete shutdown of the reader in order to avoid the drainage of the battery within a week even if I don't read.

Hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:01 AM   #44
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
You want demand? Add me to that list 'demanding' more support.

Otherwise, less use of the Reader = less incentive to buy from the Connect Ebook store, at least for me.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #45
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500

I'm glad to assist you with your query on the update for your Sony PRS-500 Reader. Please click the following link to download the update for your Sony PRS-500 Reader:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PRS500

I hope this information has been helpful to you. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to reply to this message with any additional details you require.

Thank you for your time.

C651
Sophia
This appears to take me to an update specifically for the PRS 500.

I'm at work at the moment so haven't tried it yet.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote