Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Northwoman
Northwoman
Northwoman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Nook Color or Kindle Touch / Fire?

I am trying to decide on an ereader. I have already started buying ebooks since some of the books I want are only are only available as ebooks. Plus I won a couple of ebooks as prizes. Someone mentioned Calibre to me to organize my books that I have already. Since I have been reading on my computer, I got most things as .pdfs so I could read there. These files went easily into Calibre, which will synch with either Nook or Kindle so that is all good.

My question is this. I have some things I purchased from Amazon, which I read on my computer in the Kindle Cloud reader. I can't figure out how to get those into Calibre to organize them, and if I did purchase a Nook, that is the only way to get those books to it, I think. Also, if I do purchase a Nook, can I still purchase books on Amazon?

I am leaning towards the Nook but I really prefer to purchase things on Amazon. I know this sounds crazy; it is making me crazy. It feels like my preferences have some incompatibilities.
Northwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoman View Post
I am trying to decide on an ereader. I have already started buying ebooks since some of the books I want are only are only available as ebooks. Plus I won a couple of ebooks as prizes. Someone mentioned Calibre to me to organize my books that I have already. Since I have been reading on my computer, I got most things as .pdfs so I could read there. These files went easily into Calibre, which will synch with either Nook or Kindle so that is all good.

My question is this. I have some things I purchased from Amazon, which I read on my computer in the Kindle Cloud reader. I can't figure out how to get those into Calibre to organize them, and if I did purchase a Nook, that is the only way to get those books to it, I think. Also, if I do purchase a Nook, can I still purchase books on Amazon?

I am leaning towards the Nook but I really prefer to purchase things on Amazon. I know this sounds crazy; it is making me crazy. It feels like my preferences have some incompatibilities.
You can't use Amazon books on your nook directly. Your 2 options are

(1) remove DRM and convert to EPUB, then sideload
(2) root your nook and install the Kindle app
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Northwoman
Northwoman

Is rooting the Nook loading an app to make it more of a tablet and then using a Kindle app like I do on my PC?

Does it make sense to do that or should I just spend the extra bucks and get a Kindle Fire?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Since I have been reading on my computer, I got most things as .pdfs so I could read there. These files went easily into Calibre, which will synch with either Nook or Kindle so that is all good.
You should go back to the websites where you got the books and see if you can also download EPUB and/or MOBI(Kindle) versions of the PDFs, since PDFs don't convert well and are not great for reading on stand alone eReaders.

Quote:
You'll need the Kindle for PC or Mac application on your computer, then you can download the Amazon books to your computer and load them into calibre. If you strip the DRM from the books (or they are DRM free to start with) then you can convert Amazon's format (MOBI that they call azw) to EPUB for reading on a Nook. Or you can root and sideload the Kindle app for your nook as mentioned above and use Amazon's format without having to convert.

Quote:
The devices aren't that different, if you prefer purchasing on Amazon then you might as well buy an Amazon device.

You had Kindle Touch in the title of this thread, it's the only eink device you mentioned and it's different from the other two tablet devices, so first you should decide if you want/need eink or tablet. If all you are doing is reading on the device then eink is the way to go. If you want to browse and stream multimedia then you want a tablet.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Northwoman
Northwoman

Thanks everyone for your comments and help.

Synamon, that is an excellent question. I thought I would only be reading but then I looked at Color because of the lighting option for reading in bed / dark, plus then I could do other things like possibly email or tweet or browse it sounds like.

But the things I have purchased have been Amazon or Google. I'm really comfortable with their site. So I'll have to do some more thinking.
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Northwoman
Northwoman

Oh, are Amazon or B&N or Google like Itunes? (I don't have ITunes, but what I understand is they keep track of your purchases so if you lose your IPod, you can download again to your new one?) So do they keep a list of what you have purchased so you can redownload it if you upgrade your ereader or it dies and you get a new one?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Oh, are Amazon or B&N or Google like Itunes? (I don't have ITunes, but what I understand is they keep track of your purchases so if you lose your IPod, you can download again to your new one?) So do they keep a list of what you have purchased so you can redownload it if you upgrade your ereader or it dies and you get a new one?
Yes, they all have copies of your stuff in their servers, so you can download again if you need to. But it would be wise to keep copies yourself.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Synamon, that is an excellent question. I thought I would only be reading but then I looked at Color because of the lighting option for reading in bed / dark, plus then I could do other things like possibly email or tweet or browse it sounds like.
The Fire is also a backlit tablet device that you can do email, tweet, browse, facebook, email, etc. It's a more current/faster device like the Nook Tablet were the Nook Color is older and not quite as speedy. Amazon's app store also has a better/cheaper selection. Not that the Color isn't a good device.

I'd suggest going to Target, WalMart, BestBuy, Staples, etc and playing with all of them to help make your decision.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
I think Kindle Fire is a better choice since you are an Amazon customer, because Amazon allow you to sync between tablets, PC,Mac and even mobile phone, I think what Amazon tries to do is not only for ebook selling but they want you to buy all digital content like the way Apple does with app store. So I think Fire is better choice for a further use.
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I don't know about the nook store. But also think about what amount you may buy. Kindle has the kindle lending library for amazon prime & kindle devices. Also they have a lot of great sales on books & you can get some good deals. If you're already invested in amazon then I would just stick with it. I'd say the same if you were invested in b&n. Up to you really.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle cloud reader