Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Formats for Touch and Non Touch

Hi,

I was looking at the Kobo WiFi model as I don't really want touch screen but then I noticed that on Kobo's site it says the WiFi model only reads Epub and PDF whereas the Touch has Epub, PDF, TXT, MOBI, RTF, etc. So does the non-touch model really not read anything but Epub and PDF?
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Kobo advertizes support only for Epub and PDF, but unofficially they support other file formats as well.

I have a Kobo original (not wifi) model, and I've tried and been able to read txt, rtf, and cbr (or cbz, I can't recall) files. There might be others but I haven't tried them because I prefer the Epub experience.

Anyway, a program such as Calibre does well with converting files from one format to another.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I've used Calibre, I was just curious about what Kobo supported without the need for conversion. Good to know with yours you've been able to read other formats as well. I mainly want the ability to read epub, mobi, html, rtf or doc and txt. Hopefully without converting. My current reader reads all those formats without need of conversion, but they no longer make the reader, or at least there are no new models and around Christmas or a bit after I may look at updating to a newer, faster reader.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Laura81, I think of all those formats you listed, the Kobo will have problems only with mobi.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
Laura81
Addict

I noticed the Kobo touch does say it handles Mobi. Probably not DRM but that doesn't worry me. I wonder if the Kobo non touch handles Mobi though... it might be a new thing they came out with for the Touch model.
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I don't believe there has been any new firmware for either WiFi or Original since the Touch was released, so I really REALLY doubt that mobi support is on either of them.

Also (from what I recall) people who have tried mobi support on the Touch have had some issues.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Mobi doesn't work on any Kobo's.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Laura81
Addict

Ok, thanks for letting me know appreciate it.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even though it says Mobi is supported the text will show up something like this: The ql;uk br93223n foi jk@#@@ &85*j the fence.

Some words are fine but most are messed up.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
The Terminator
Retired

But Mobi and Epub seem to convert smoothly in Calibre (As long as your books aren't infected with DRM)