Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
terranq
terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Vox
Change the bootanimation.zip?

Has anyone taken a look at the bootanimation.zip to see what's needed? I know how to swap a new one in, but do I need a specific resolution/layout etc for the Vox?
terranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Unzip it and You'll see it's a series of images. Do a google search and you'll see tons of replacement animations.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
terranq
terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

yes, i know what it is, and where to find replacement ones. what I'm unsure about is if there is a specific resolution or some such arbitrary limitation as to which bootanimation.zip will work
Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
This page says:

"Note: A high resolution device will be able to play a boot animation made for a low resolution device but it will not take up the whole screen, while a high resolution boot animation will not display completely on a low resolution screen device."

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...imation-guide/
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I just dropped in one of the w(q)vga ones from here and it worked fine. I think those are 800x480 which is smaller than the vox's screen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=696193

I was getting a little tired of the kobo animation. (not nearly as tired as I was of the startup sound when I blew it away a month ago...now I can't even remember what it sounds like!)

[edit]: Ended up going with AndroidParticles2 from here which is pretty sweet:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=905538

Last edited by mr_nobody; 12-28-2011 at 07:16 PM.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
mike998
Exasperated Kobo Lover
mike998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
I just dropped in one of the w(q)vga ones from here and it worked fine. I think those are 800x480 which is smaller than the vox's screen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=696193

I was getting a little tired of the kobo animation. (not nearly as tired as I was of the startup sound when I blew it away a month ago...now I can't even remember what it sounds like!)

[edit]: Ended up going with AndroidParticles2 from here which is pretty sweet:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=905538
To clarify :
  • Ensure your Kobo Vox is rooted as per jefftheworld's How-To (How-To is HERE)
  • Assuming the new files are : The new bootanimation.zip is called NEWBOOTANIMATION.ZIP and NEWBOOTAUDIO.ZIP (if you're updating the audio file)
  • Find a 480 x 800 bootanimation.zip and bootaudio.mp3 that you like. They are seperate files, as mr_nobody noted, there's some good bootanimation.zip files HERE
  • Personally, I used the bootanimation.zip and bootaudio.mp3 files found HERE (I like Star Trek...)
  • Copy the bootanimation.zip and bootaudio.mp3 files to the root of your SD card. This is accomplished by connecting your Vox to your PC and performing a drag 'n' drop.
  • Fire up a terminal emulator on your Vox (ConnectBot is a very good Terminal Emulator.)
  • Remount the filesystem as RW
  • Copy the files to the right locations
  • Correct the file permissions
  • Reboot your Vox to allow the filesystems to remount in the correct fashion and also to check your new animation loads correctly.

Use the following commands :

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /system
This mounts the /system partition in a re-write mode so you can make changes.
Code:
mv /system/media/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip.bak
mv /system/media/bootaudio.mp3 /system/media/bootaudio.mp3.bak
This backs up the old animation and audio so you aren't over-writing it.
Code:
cp /mnt/sdcard/NEWBOOTANIMATION.ZIP /system/media/bootanimation.zip
cp /mnt/sdcard/NEWBOOTAUDIO.MP3 /system/media/bootaudio.mp3
This copies the files from the root of your SD card to the correct location
Code:
chmod 0644 /system/media/bootanimation.zip
chmod 0644 /system/media/bootaudio.mp3
exit
This corrects the permissions on the newly copied files so they are the same as the old files.

After the above, REBOOT your Vox.

Enjoy your new Boot Splash!

It is entirely possible that you can use ADP to push this to your Vox. Someone else can feel free to adjust this for non-rooted Vox devices.
Feel free to make this post a new thread or sticky this information. Just attribute the information. This took me an hour to get it clarified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslynne View Post
Or you can use ES File Explorer in Root mode, and move the new animation to /system/media and remove the default, whether moving it to someplace else to store or delete it.
Yes, you can use file explorers, I'm comfortable using command line.

Last edited by mike998; 12-28-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Bullets and yeah, file managers will work too!
mike998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Or you can use ES File Explorer in Root mode, and move the new animation to /system/media and remove the default, whether moving it to someplace else to store or delete it.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
terranq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslynne View Post
move the new bootanimation to data/local. That way you don't have to touch the system/media folder. But yes, just use root explorer or ES explorer to copy/paste the file.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #9
Odieman
Enthusiast
Odieman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
If you delete the current bootanimation.zip the vox will default to the bog standard android boot animation (shimmery word android), which is fine by me.
Odieman is offline   Reply With Quote